Mass Effect 3 completed by just 42% of players

Tuesday, 14th August 2012 00:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mass Effect 3 was finished by less than half of those who started it, BioWare has revealed.

BioWare’s Fernando Melo revealed the game’s completion statistic at GDC Europe, as reported by Eurogamer.

Just 42% of players have finished Mass Effect 30 even five months after launch.

56% who got through Mass Effect 2, a stat which jumped significantly as players prepped save files for Mass Effect 3′s launch in march this year.

Interestingly, while Mass Effect 3′s multiplayer mode increased the amount of people playing the game, it didn’t increase the amount of time people spent with it.

Melo said Mass Effect 3′s completion rate is actually higher than other BioWare games; 40% finished Mass Effect, 36 % completed Dragon Age: Origins, and 41% of Dragon Age 2 players made it all the way through.

1. fearmonkey

It amazes me how anyone would buy a game like mass effect 3 and not finish it. I played through DA:O and all the DLC and DA2 as well. Why buy a Bioware game if your not in it for the long haul?

2. magnumfinger

this game gets boring after a week of playing it.

3. Phoenixblight

I have quite a few games that I have bought and something happen like work increase and I forgot about then I would redo it. It had happened with the original Witcher, RDR and even Portal 2. They aren’t bad games but stuff happens.

4. AnklaX

waiting for the leviathan dlc actually. in the meantime there are so many unfinished games. I’m playing those.

5. Dimaco

@3: yeah, I know what you’re sayi…. WAIT!! Portal 2?!?!? Man, dump all the others, that’s ok, but you GOTTA play Portal 2, no excuses!!! :-)

6. Chockster

I love ME3, but as soon as I heard about the new ending, I stopped playing until it arrived. Then the leviathan DLC was announced. Now I’m awaiting that.

This is why I hadn’t finished it Bioware: because you hadn’t finished making it.

7. Kabby

The stats are in line with most games.

People get hyped up, blow their cash, play the game for a week, then shelve it or trade it in.

8. Froseidon

@6 – So you would prefer no DLC at all? Okay.

9. DrDamn

I’m terrible at finishing games. Bit of a gaming butterfly flitting about between too many titles.

10. TheWulf

I can’t blame people for not finishing DA:O, it was not only an immensely dull game, but it was also a monotonous, repetitive slog with two-dimensional characters and an MMO-like combat system. And then you had the dwarven tunnels. The dwarven tunnels would have removed anyone who isn’t completely sadistic from the equation.

So… yes, the numbers regarding DA:O are hardly surprising.

11. Phoenixblight

I beat all those games just redid them when I was able to, either during the winter or the end of Summer when the workload was the least.