Wii U release date set for US, Europe to trail behind – rumour

Monday, 13th August 2012 05:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Wii U release date has been set for the US, but other territories will have to wait, according to the latest industry and retail whispers.

GoNintendo received a tip off from a source claiming to be a GameStop employee, stating that the Wii U will arrive in the US during the week of Black Friday.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, when US stores traditionally hold massive sales; if accurate, that would put the release in the fourth week of November.

Following Nintendo’s usual release pattern, the console would debut in Japan either a few months earlier or simultaneously, but CVG warns not to expect a European release until at least December. The site’s sources say manufacturing difficulties mean the console’s release in PAL territories will be pushed back to trail the US by at least a month.

Nintendo has given no official indication of when the Wii U will launch beyond a 2012 release window.

1. polygem

i hope they will get the miiverse, unique gamertag thingy running before wiiu launches. it wont be fair if the japanese and us could snatch all the cool gamertags (or how you wanna call those in nintendoland).
    i hope that a 3ds owner can create an account for the nintendo network too before the wiiu launches…
    i cannot wait for the wiiu, the earlier the better, to me it all looks good, looks like a great new nintendo console to me. december would be totally fine for me too though.

2. manamana

They are promoting their console for almost two years now and they wont make it under the christmas tree in europe? If this is true I really don’t get what nintendo is after. They did it with the 3DS like Sony with the Vita. The masses are investing into christmas – beyond that its just silly to launch in january/february when all money is burned on other gadgets, imo.

3. DrDamn

I realise they are a Japanese company and it would be suicidal to delay there but a little more recognition of the European market in terms of size and value would be appreciated. Sony are rubbish, Nintendo are rubbish. MS are the realistically the only ones putting in a bit of effort at making console and game releases as global as possible.

4. Da Man

If Dreamcast came out in the proper countries ;) the same year it did in JP, I think it could’ve been a lot more successful..

5. absolutezero

Remember this thing will be region locked of course.

So no importing either! Wait in line!

6. Clupula

Still have not seen a single thing that appeals to me about this. Not a single thing.

7. ManuOtaku

I just hope at release day, we will have available the black colour too, i do prefer that colour, but chances are pretty slim, i suppose.

8. polygem

@6: must not appeal to you, but for me pikmin 3 and nintendoland would be enough reason for day one purchase…then there´s new super mario u and zombi u (which will probably be the first zombi game ever that i can play with my girlfriend, because of that coop feature where your coop partner places the zombis with the stylus on the pad while you take them out on the telly with your pro controller, cool stuff), some third party games (i am not interested in the ones they announced this far though, despite rayman legends), and then i am sure nintendo held back a big title too…

9. polygem

Manu: they confirmed black and white as launch colours…i will get the black one too!

10. ManuOtaku

#8 Yep those are may main picks too, but i will add P-100, scriblenauts and probably lego land, those also look good and chances are , they are available at the window launch.

11. polygem

yes P-100 for me too for sure as well as scribblenauts…

12. Fin

Didn’t we have this conversation somewhere else? Nintendo aren’t holding back anything, they would’ve announced it already if it was going to be ready for launch.

13. Da Man

Trying to argue with Nintendo fans is like discussing things with O’Conner, regardless of more and more crazy apologetics and weirdo dreams it ‘ll still be the same old until the end of the world.

14. ManuOtaku

Well at least nintendo fans like nintendo for doing videogames, while others dont like sony or nintendo just for being japanese companies, yeah we are definetly the crazy weirdos ones till the end of the world

15. Da Man

I like Nintendo, and I liked Sony at one point in time.

Not everything you read about people on the internet is true.

16. ManuOtaku

#15 well you did say it on a previous topic, not so long ago.

17. Da Man

I also said the same about yankees, so there.

18. ManuOtaku

Ok, now on, i would not take you seriously ;)

19. Da Man

Do you know what I meant? That there’s no reason why someone can’t dislike a corporation.

20. OrbitMonkey

Personally I’m waiting for an official nextbox announcement. Kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap 360… Again…

21. ManuOtaku

#19, to tell you the truth what i got from this, was that you make an statement and later you say thas not true, like with the dislike on Nintendo and Sony for being Japanese, and that not everything on the internet is true, really the reasons for dislike a corporation never was mentioned, at least you didnt stated back then the reasons, hence the not taking you seriously, for now on.

22. Da Man

#21, I was saying how there’s no reason for me to justify distaste for a corporation, jap was put there for the effect.. you know like when you make fun of some jrpg and throw in bishounens…

23. ManuOtaku

#22 Ok, from my short and vivid experience on the internet, jokes are hard to recognize, therefore at least add a face next time,please, because if you backtrack i wont take you seriously, either way we got the same result.

24. Da Man

Why, because people tend to take a word from a whole sentence in isolation? Okay.

25. ManuOtaku

“24, Well the word in your case was the whole sentence, japanese, therefore it was needed.

26. Da Man

Well, no it wasn’t. How else ‘re you supposed to make fun of things. If I wanted to belittle Nokia I ‘d probably put some Syyymbiaan in there.

27. ManuOtaku

#26 because iam not seeing your face or emotions while you are talking or writing, how can i know is a joke if you dont say so in a way or the other?, the best way is adding a face or saying just joking.

28. Da Man

Allright. I swear that from now on I will accompany every sarcastic sentence with an /s, and every ambiguous belittling with a wink smiley.

29. polygem

@12…yea sure you know it best of course. wasn´t that you too who said no wii games will be playable on the gamepad alone? well looks like this happens…why don´t we just wait and see? nintendo revealed a lot of stuff in their nintendo direct videos. i believe they are holding back something for a launch window release and it would make perfectly sense. you know better though, i know.

30. polygem

Da Man: it never has been the same old. nintendo ip games evolved so much more than any other franchise around. just take the classic super mario games, mario64, nsmb, paper mario, mario galaxy. kirby mass attack, epic yarn, return to dreamland. zelda link to the past, phantom hourglass, twilight princess, skyward sword to name just very very few. all these games play drastically different YET the same. you wont find that risky changes in a halo, cod, uncharted, killzone, ratchet+clank or fable game…i for one respect nintendo just because of that: taking very good care about their ip´s, being extremeley creative by finding new gameplay options and settings for them, risk something (cel shaded zelda game for example) and execute them all with an ultrapolished and great presentation. i really cannot see what´s bad about that. certainly it´s not same old. it never was.

31. ManuOtaku

#31 also lets not forget poly they do have new ips, just that gamers dont seem to recognize them like chibi robo or custom robo for example, both are recently new ips, but gamers forget about that, in the last decade they have 10 new ips, if i dont recall wrong, including games that only came out in japan, therefore is not that they dont do new ips, is that some gamers dont see it as much.

32. Da Man

That wasn’t aimed at you, polygem.

HR largely plays nothing like previous ones too.

33. Ireland Michael

@31 I think most people’s problems are that the vast majority of those new IPs are barely games to begin it.

Feel free to name 10 new IPs since the GameCube though. Because I can’t think of them.

34. OlderGamer

Sounds about right, not too sure why other regions won’t get systems. Maybe manufactering issues. Just need a price now. Guessing 300usd, hoping for 250usd w/nintendoland packed in.

@Manu, I still play Chibi. Great game.

10 out of 34 posts made by DM. You must be a huge Nintendo fan then ‘eh?

35. Da Man

Old man, please do count all the essays about the biz model, prices, same old games, ethics, online community and the rest all written by the same person, in most X360 /PS3 comment sections.

You really are a hypocrite. A proper one.

36. polygem

i love this nintendo discussions dressed in this beautiful yellow nsmb2 advertisment dress ;)

by the way, vg247: i really do aprecciate that all the ads here are videogame related. that´s what pisses me off about the ads on XBL: mc donalds, cars, terrible “artists”…if they would only advertise gaming related stuff on xbl i probably wouldn´t mind that much, but the way it is now is really agressive and i hate it.

37. stretch215

This new Mario game looks pretty bad. 2d Mario with HD polish? No thanks, played it already. Then it was called super Mario bros. 3.

38. ManuOtaku

#33 Ireland games like, Baten kaitos, chibi robo, custom robo, batallion wars,disaster day of crisis, dynamic blade ( Zangeki No Reginleiv),giftopia, captain rainbow, xenoblade, luigis mansion, pikmin, etc those in the top on mind that are from the past decade therefore like i said they made new ips, just that some gamers have selected memory for nintendo related things.

39. DrDamn

It’s hard to have memories of IP which never made it out of Japan :)
    Zangeki No Reginleiv, Giftpia, Captain Rainbow for example.

40. ManuOtaku

#39 i agree but that doesnt change the fact they do made them, at least seven of them were realease globally, therefore i think as few as they are, they made new ips, against the common notion that they dont.

41. OlderGamer

“all written by the same person, in most X360 /PS3 comment sections.

You really are a hypocrite. A proper one.”

I would be a hypocrite if I posted there and didn’t play on those systems. And then I pointed out that you were near 1/3rd of the posts in a thread regaurding a system that you don’t play. That would make me a hypocrite man.

Last nights game sesion we spent on xb360 playing Rockband 3 of all things.

42. Da Man

Really? You mean like all the Halo/CoD/Gears/whatnot ones? I see you regularly play them…

You’re a hypocrite for continously, regularly criticizing franchises and systems you spend little to no time on and pointing fingers when it comes to Nintendo.

What exactly does me having some offtopic discussion which didn’t even contain anything N related has to do with anything? Last I checked you ‘ve discussed unrelated topics everywhere around here.

43. OlderGamer

lol DM my xb360 GT is AnOlderGamer, go look at my Halo and Gears Achivies. I have tried CoD here and there, but play BF instead. Check those achivies too.

Your not going to find perfect achivie scores, but more then enough to see I actualy put time into the very same titles you think I don’t.

Enjoying Mario doesn’t mean I did also spend some time with Marcus and Dom or Master Chief. I really loved both Gears one and Halo one, for example. But looking at Gears 4 and Halo 4, I am a bit tired of em.

DM, you honestly have zero clue about me as a gamer or as a person.

Do me a favor, just go look up my GT. Look at the games and scores I have played. And lets leave it at that.

Edit:

Ima stick this here rather then create another post:

Halo3 I got 1305 achivie pnts. In Gears one I finished the campaign, have the merc achieve to prove it (I am not very good, but I played it thru). I don’t play online very much, here and there. Also I have 32K+ GS, not 38K I don’t pay much attention to it. Was just using it to prove a point, that I play a hella lot more in terms of game diversity then your giving me credit for.

:End Edit.

No need to derail another thread. And that is why i called out your posting in this thread to begin with, you were 1/3rd of the posts for a system and company that you hate. Obviously trying to start shit and derail the thing. So lets cool it, ‘eh?

44. Da Man

omg wtf lol Old man, you have 6k kills in H3 having started in 2007. And a whopping 200 kills in Reach…

you honestly have zero clue about me as a gamer or as a person.
    Well put…

Yes, let’s leave it at that, since I was just chatting with a person about anunrelated topic.

45. Gekidami

You’re confusing IP’s Nintendo own with ones they just published. You’re also ignoring the “Since the GameCube” part, because most of what you listed are from the NGC days.
    Also the first Custom Robo came out on N64.

46. ManuOtaku

#45 Well i put custom robo because i did put IPs since the past decade, instead than since the gamecube, and well it was from 1999 so well it was almost done on the last decade for one year, my bad.

Well baten kaitos and xenoblade were published by nintendo and done by monolith, but since they became part of nintendo thats why i put them, and either way this games are only found on nintendo systems, it doesnt matter if are not IPs directly from them, they are only found on nintendo systems, that works almost as new IPs from them.