Battlefield 4 will take place in “the modern day”

Monday, 13th August 2012 14:42 GMT By Nick Akerman

Battlefield 4 will be set in modern times, according to DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson.

“There’s a lot of things inspiring us as to how the franchise will move on. Everything from fans’ feedback, to market research and, of course, what we want to build ourselves. It’s not just one single thing,” said Troedsson at GDC Europe earlier today.

“And, yes, I know Battlefield 4 is probably the most creative name we ever could come up with. I can’t comment any more on that games because it’s all secret.”

“We still want to stay in this genre, the modern day as it is. We feel this is a place we can be and continue with the series. Battlefield 4 can live in this space and be very successful.”

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. hives

Here was my little interest in BF4… Aaaaand it’s gone.

Another modern shooter? After BF3 and MoH:W? My god…

2. Edo

3. ManuOtaku

“To conclude, Troedsson hinted there might be a Bad Company 2 sequel somewhere down the line, “That doesn’t mean there might not be a Bad Company game again in the future.””

Oh Jesus, and this was the game i was looking for out the most, for me bad company two is better than battlefield 3, dont get me wrong i do like BF3, but i did love BC2, maybe iam being biased because it was my first battlefield game,and now it seems BF4 will come first T_T.

4. Hcw87

Modern day setting > WWII setting.

I guess they could go around 10 years into the future (or 20 years back) or something to make it interesting, but if they make it too futuristic it will have motiontracking/wallhack scopes and loads of unmanned drones and crap like the latest CoD multiplayer trailer.

I liked the setting of the Black Ops singleplayer.

5. Maximum Payne

I mean there is always innovate and go forward.
    That earthquake from SP and Aftermath dlc, that can be include in some MP maps when earthquake will appear randomly to spice things up.They could add random weather system like fog,snow,rain… ,day/night cycle , more objective base mods like in MoH assault mode (made by Dice) , changing attachments on the fly a la Crysis , much much better Singleplayer and coop…

6. Da Man

Innovative fps with a refreshing setting incoming.

7. polygem

BFBC2 > BF3

8. JRNO

Sigh. Unless they touch on something new, like a campaign that doesn’t simply revolve around US, WMDs and Russians, count me out.

Battlefield 3′s got plenty of life left in it, and I highly doubt that another game set in the same time period would offer much variety in gameplay. BF3′s arsenal is pretty vast as it is, and as such a couple of more weapons and attachments really wouldn’t make a world of difference. I might be crossing the line here, since we haven’t seen any of the game yet, but this is starting to sound like an expansion pack already.

Introduce new units (outside US) and locales, and I’m back in.

9. Da Man

It’ll be a Modern Warfare with a pussy class, which doesn’t force you to use the crosshair.

10. ArithonUK

If it was in the past, it’s BF1942 with a new engine, the future its a BF2142 remake, but in the present its… BF3 again!
    Why are we shocked? They charged full game price for DLC that would, in the past, have shipped with (a stable) game or been given away free.

The current game has been nerfed so all weapons are the same, sorry “balanced” and there is nothing more than a rank grind. You know it’s bad when WoW players comment on the grind involved in ranking and unlocks!

I’m now looking for a BattleField franchise replacement. Probably the closest is ARMA 3, but it’s NOT THE SAME.

Give us back our franchise! If console players want rinse-and-repeat annual COD clone with DLC hats, fine, but leave the PC game alone.

11. Strange Sultan

no. because if it is not modern day that means it’s different. and we don’t want different, do we, EA ?

12. Hcw87

Do we want them to copy BO 2? How would that make them look? Or do we want another WWII borefest? We’ve had enough of those allready.

Maybe a western setting.

13. HighWindXIX

I doubt I’ll get another Battlefield game before BC3. And if that never comes out… well… oh well.

14. TD_Monstrous69

Still waiting on another Bad Company game. Though if it improves from Battlefield 3 (namingly, a better SP campaign, and some gameplay tweaks like being able to cook grenades), I’ll get Battlefield 4 (though in all honesty, love Battlefield 3, so I’m more than likely getting this anyway).

15. Chuck Finn

I am glad they are sticking to a current setting. The recent past stuff has been done and the near future is… just weird. (Drone dogs?) Plus, if they stick with current generation weaponry, my team can continue to replicate our game loads with our Airsoft loads. Check this out, 1:1 accurate: http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-BI-74-RK02.htm

16. DSB

There have been quite a few other wars than just WWII and Iraq/Afghanistan over the last century though.

I think diving into that was the one thing Black Ops actually got right.