Crysis 3 CryEngine tech demo is fabulously lovely

Friday, 10th August 2012 04:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crysis 3 is looking remarkably sweet thanks to the advances Crytek has made with CryEngine 3. Don’t take my word for it; the video through the break goes into detal on some of the graphical highlights of the new tech.

We recently asked Crytek boss Cevat Yerli about the future of games development and unsurprisingly he was pretty chuffed with CryEngine 3. It’s hard to argue with the kinds of beautiful and clever things it does; check the video out below, courtesy of Gamespot.

Crysis 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in February 2013.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. HauntaVirus

Wow, that’s damn impressive to say the least!

2. Phoenixblight

Too bad the engine is totally ass backaward to develop on otherwise I would mess with it at least until Unreal 4 is out which will be a dream for those that are not programmer minded.

3. Strawb

Ooh, that is pretty. I wonder how much the engine is downscaled for the console-version.

Alternatively, would this have been even prettier if consoles were quicker to keep up?

4. Phoenixblight

The engine doesn’t have to be downscaled. It just scales according to the hardware that is using it. The better the hardware the more features you can use. Most engine have this in mind.

5. Strawb

If it scales down/back automatically, I still consider that downscaling.

6. Phoenixblight

I am sure, I consider downscaling when actual features are gutted in order to meet console requirements. But whatever. Its really irrelevant Crysis 2 looked really good on the console. Crytek just keep trying to sell their engine by showing off their tech demos that they call Crysis.

7. Erthazus

I hope this stuff will be released on Launch day, Crytek FFS. I don’t want to play crappy console looking visuals on my RIG.

@PB,
    “Too bad the engine is totally ass backaward to develop”

said a programmer? MKay. Another guess as with “I need teh screenshot” in Diablo III?

I created tons of maps and played with Cryengine 2.0 and third SDK. Easy as fuck.Period.

8. TheWulf

It’s pretty enough.

It’s just that it’s going to be horribly optimised, so it won’t run a tenth as well as UE4 for roughly the same effects. And if they’d shown me something truly fantastic, then I might have had a more impressed reaction. But The Last Guardian looked miles better. Sorry.

And that was back in ’09. So I guess it goes to show that art direction matters hundreds of times more than graphical fidelity. Sadly, CryTek aren’t exactly the most imaginative or creatively driven people in the world.

9. Edo

“Top Secret Tessellated Toad Tech” :D .

10. unacomn

That was the most awesome toad in the world.

11. Kabby

The small vegetation looks good. The large trees do not.

12. xino

what’s the point when the engine cost nearly a million!!!

13. Phoenixblight

I am sure you have Erth. If that was the case, where it was “easy as fuck” more people would be flocking to it but they are not there are actually fewer developers for Crytek than there are for Unity. So yeah keep beating that crazy drum, Erth. We need a jester around these parts. Also please put out a video walkthrough of your supposed maps with functional gameplay because I would definitely be interested in seeing your “maps”.

“said a programmer? ”

Is that supposed to be a poke at programmers? Because as someone who has programmed for UDK, Unity and our own proprietary engine I fail to see that as an insult. Try harder need more cuss words and graphic insults.