PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale leaks again; Raiden and Sackboy spotted

Thursday, 9th August 2012 03:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has to be Sony’s worst kept secret since the Vita; two more roster members have been uncovered thanks to a marketing slip up.

Reports suggest someone at Sony was a bit too quick with the “publish” button today, accidentally posting new content to the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale website before rapidly reversing the update. NeoGAF was quick to screengrab some of the site’s new material before it vanished again.

LittleBigPlanet’ Sackboy is clearly shown as both a character select icon and full character model, while the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance version of Raiden is shown grappling with InFamous’s Cole in a banner labelled “ultimate mach ups”.

IGN reports users all posted images of the site on the official PlayStation Forums, but the thread was quickly shut down if so.

The images look pretty legit, and all the other characters have been confirmed, so it seems pretty believable – especially as Superbot has confirmed the last set of leaks as genuine, and the existence of the fighter itself leaked.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is due in late October for PlayStation 3, with a Vita announce expected. More character confirmations are likely to hit soon.

1. HauntaVirus

I’ll pick this up for sure, makes for some epic co-op!

2. Moonwalker1982

If there’s one game i definitely will not buy, it’s this one. Of all games they had to rip-off Smash bros. And don’t let people come in here and claim it’s not true, cause it quite clearly is. Up until the day they announced this game, there was nothing like Smash Bros, it really was ‘one of a kind’ and that was fine.

Pretty much everything about this game screams SSB and it’s a goddamn shame. I honestly hope it will fail hard! And nope i am not a Sony hater, in case someone is wondering.

3. lexph3re

Stop wishing failure on a game. If you don’t like it fine don’t buy it. But don’t be a royale douchebag and condemn it. With or without you this game will reach it’s audience

4. Kaufer

I can clearly see Nariko and Jin from Tekken. Ryu from NG is also there as is Kazuya accdg. to neogaf.

5. TD_Monstrous69

@Brenna Hiller, more than sure that the Vita version for this was already annonced during Sony’s E3 press event, and that it was also announced it’d ship the same day and date as the PS3 version, or am I mistaken? Though I almost can’t help but wonder if these “leaks” are deliberate, to possibly get people talking about it, or if marketing at SCE is just that lazy. Either way, it’s still a game on my must buy list.

6. FrankieDF

Just curious, but why would you not want more games like smash bros when you enjoy smash bros so much?

You’ve only had 3 of them in 13 years, and wont be getting another one for another couple years, so what is so bad about another game like that?

I mean, I LOVE King of Fighters, but that doesn’t make me absolutely avoid Street Fighter like it’s the plague. I look at it and go “Awesome, another solid 2D fighter that I can enjoy.”

7. TD_Monstrous69

@6 I couldn’t agree with you more.

8. loveaya

Not interested

9. Kuwabara

Who gives a damm if this games ripped of smash bros.. Theres millions of playstation owners who have yet to experience super smash bros or just had a taste of it. Atleast with a ps3 version kind of game you can relate more to the characters or get better satisfaction.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

The fact that Smash Bros. hasn’t been properly ripped off yet is all the more reason for Sony to make an honest effort. Microsoft should probably have a go too, if they can muster the character roster up from somewhere…

11. battery

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Who will win?

12. DrDamn

The implication was this has been as poorly kept a secret as the Vita was as a console.

Weren’t these two already known about before? We even discussed the inclusion of Raiden rather than Snake in a thread last week.

13. Timurse

I am surprised that this game has sooooo much coverage. Like really. That’s just a dumbed down fighting with graphics from Wii/PS2 and rip-off concept.
    I am seeing the future of this game going the same way as most other Sony exclusives: lots of PR, fan support, wow-release and then – oblivion. I am not Sony hater (I got both PS3 and PS Vita), but games like Motorstorm, inFamous, SOCOM, etc – they all have the same fate. That’s pretty sad. But for this game in particular I wish such an outcome.

14. Dragon246

You completely fit the description of a nintendog.
    Seriously the only people who hate this game are those who haven’t even played it yet. Unfortunately doggies and puppies are not allowed in beta.

15. Fin

I know! The level of coverage for a game should really be based on whether you’re excited for it or not, right?
    If there’s one thing I love doing, it’s comparing the graphics of a game I’ve not yet played, and apparently not even watched videos of to last generation’s graphics. So much fun!

16. Clupula

Here we go again. Cue the people saying this game doesn’t have the “Nintendo magic.”

You know, as someone who does see this as a rip-off of a game I think is pretty mediocre in the first place, all the hate the game is getting from the Jesus Juice crowd is making me actually consider picking it up.

17. Gadzooks!

#16

It looks exactly like what it is: A shameless, soulless, blatant ripoff.

18. Clupula

See? Exactly what I predicted. And every article is going to be filled with the same circular arguments from people who are all sadface now because their precious Nintendo franchise has been copied.

The argument is like most Nintendo games: childish and predictable.

19. Gekidami

…Why the fuck did you bump this?

20. ManuOtaku

#18 Clupula i think is due the fact that Sony itself is using Super Smash Brothers as its only tag for the Youtube page to advertise PlayStation All Stars, that tells everything.

Now having said that, doing a game that is in a genre of a smash’em up couldnt be considered a ripoff, but more of a homage in my opinion, but Sony using Super Smash Brothers as a way to promote their game is a bit too far closely of being a rip off, at the very least they are comparing the two games so closely, and it is baffling.

21. Gekidami

^ You say that like they tag every video with SSB.

22. monkeygourmet

As a few posters have already mentioned, this game lacks soul.

That is one of the reasons SSB works;

All the characters in the Nintendo game fit so perfectly together, along with their unique backdrops. The game has been clearly made with a lot of love and understanding of history. Even the collectables are genius (super scope anyone?!)

The character roster in this is just horrible. No one fits together properly, it’s a mix of cutesy characters then extremely violent fighters (Kratos) for example…

It just looks like they’ve had a very poor selection, I mean, half of them aren’t even from exclusive franchises (I mean why choose the Big Daddy from Bioshock?! That was a Xbox exclusive for a long time!), maybe they’ll make the wipeout Hoover vehicle playable next?! ;)

Sony just doesn’t have the history and wealth of gaming franchises to create a game like this. I could even come up with better roster in 5 minutes:

Jumping Flash
    Klonoa
    Chocobo (final fantasy)
    ICO and the Princess
    Okami wolf
    Etc… Etc…

It just has fail written all over it, horrible, cash in that should never have got off the drawing board…

23. Gekidami

^ The SSB characters fit well together because for the most part they’re all from games made by the same guy with multiple characters from the same games to make up for Nintendos utter lack of IP’s.

If PSBR had 6 characters all from a single universe like SSB does (6 in Brawl are from Mario alone) then sure, they would look more consistent. Unfortunately Sony actually makes new IP’s, terrible, i know.

And the whole roster hasnt been revealed yet, so please keep your rectal sphincter closed or do something more useful with you ability to see the future.

24. monkeygourmet

And they have more skill, they even managed to fit Solid Snake in without it feeling forced…

Come on, admit it, this looks awful! :)

25. ManuOtaku

#23 Can someone control their rectal sphincter?, this remind me a joke that poo is faster than light, one day i want so bad to do poo, that when i turn on the light of the bathroom, i just already did poo, see is faster than light.

26. Ireland Michael

@6 Quality over quantity.

@22 It blows my mind that Wander (SotC) isn’t a character in this at the very least.

27. monkeygourmet

It’s a very odd line-up, it would never have been great, but the choices they have made are just awful imo…

Far to many violent fighters in a game that always needs to be light hearted..

28. Gekidami

Nope. Brawl was a clear decline, forgetting the fact that it was for the most part Melee re released, the majority of added characters were lame (ROB? Seriously?) and the amount of clone characters shows how lazy Nintendo are getting. Its no wonder Namco Bandai are making the next one.
    As for Snake, please, first off he was MGS2 Snake, a version thats never appeared on a Nintendo platform and wasnt even the most recent version of Snake at that time. Second, despite being MGS2 Snake his moves were generic weapons, most of which arent even in MGS2. Barely any attacks the character did were iconic to him, he wasnt Snake, he was “Generic Military Man”, and visually he stood out to the other characters like a saw thumb, with his dark colours and human proportions it was clear he wasnt from a childish, cartoony universe like the vast majority of the others.

The fact that you can say Snake was well integrated in Brawl then say the characters in PSBR look too different to one another just shows how much of a dumb blind fanboy you are.

Please source the whole roster, you seem to know it, afterall.

29. monkeygourmet

His combos were pretty authentic: weapons likewise (nikita missile, c4 etc…) : he could even do the cardboard box trick and use the codec.

It was a damn site better than how it looks like they’ve handled the roster in this.

I’m not a fan boy, I’m a fan of good games. And as I’ve been playing games since the Commodore 64, I think I can spot a turkey when I see one.

30. Dragon246

Could people wait before saying “this is rip-off, shit, souless,deserve to die” till they have actually played it? None of the haters here haven’t been played the game and still know its bad as it has taken idea from ssb.
    Seriously, psasbr is as much as common to ssb as cod is to doom. Its stage design is awesome combining game worlds of different franchises and graphics are miles ahead . If it looks so bad to ninty gamers then they can just not buy it. But they will be missing out on the best brawl game ever. Unfortunately they can’t swallow their pride and admit its a good game.
    And about characters not mixing up well in game, tell me that after playing it. Almost each character has a different play style than others and the game is balanced pretty well, much better than ssb.

31. Gekidami

Go on then, i’ll bite. Defend your position on how Snake in Brawl, a version of Snake that never appeared on a Nintendo platform who uses several moves not seen in the game he’s from is handled better than the roster in PSBR, where every character shown till now is/was on a Sony platform and uses attacks and moves they do in their original game. I’m mean, you can back this up with a decent argument, right? You’re not just talking out of your arse, are you?

Oh and you are a fanboy, sorry to break it to you, you may want to sit down for a moment. See, disregarding a game you’ve never played and assuming another is better is the very definition of a fanboy. Especially when you throw out dumb shit like this:

“Sony just doesn’t have the history and wealth of gaming franchises to create a game like this.”

Yeah, publisher that owns more franchises then Nintendo doesnt have the wealth of gaming franchises to make a game like this. Well done.

32. Bojangles

I notice, with some bemusement, that there’s a considerable overlap between the group of people that dismiss this game because it’s too much like SSB and the group of people that dismiss this game because it’s not enough like SSB.

33. monkeygourmet

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes says hello…

Used the same model of Snake from Metal Gear 2

34. G1GAHURTZ

Too many fanboys calling other people fanboys for having an opinion.

35. Gekidami

Fail.

SSBB MGS2 Snake:

Twin Snakes:

Still awaiting your argument.

36. monkeygourmet

Usually I do wait and see before casting judgement, this however just looks terrible.

I do like Sony games and enjoy my PS3 (before that PS1 & 2 and PSP), but it does piss me off that they seem to copy most games Nintendo make popular.

37. Christopher Jack

Just wait & see how well it does in the reviews, I’m expecting about 70-75% on Metacritic.
    @36, What other games have Sony copied? They have done quite a few original franchises in their own right- in fact many, many more than Nintendo. Of course some are going to overlap in similarities & while this is clearly derived from SSB, it’s not worth dismissing until you can judge it by its own merits.

38. monkeygourmet

Yeah, the one from SSB does look better, it’s still Snake though. Look through the move sets, pretty authentic considering how much balancing is required.

I like that fact you’ve jumped on one point in a vain hope to make you feel better about this game! :)

I clearly listed a lot of reasons why I think this roster is so bad. That is the main point, if your going to copy, at least make it a good copy.

Makes me laugh, calling me a fanboy when you clearly have a hard on for the most shameless copycat fan boy game ever! Oh the irony! :)

39. monkeygourmet

Pretty much, as in like SSB, just not as good without any heart in it.

Only for devoted Sony fanboys basically.

40. Christopher Jack

@39, It’d be far easier to shut up & let the game talk for itself, just wait ’til you play the final game for at least an hour then you can make comments like that.

Also, looks like Ryu & Clank in the far background of the first pic.

41. Gekidami

You said that Snake was well integrated in Brawl, better then the characters in PSBR are, i’m still waiting for you to back this up, your whole argument pretty much hinges of that and this whole “No heart” BS. The “No heart” shit is so retarded it cant be argued, its the fanboy “Nintendo Magic” argument.

So again, please back up how a character in a form thats never appeared on a Nintendo platform with moves that he doesnt use in the game he’s taken from is handled better than the characters in PSBR. Its not hard, i’m asking you to backup your own words.

Oh and the difference between me and you is that i’m not dismissing SSB at all. Yes, i thought Brawl was considerably lazy compared to Melee, but quote me saying PSBR is a better game. Go on, do it.

Oh you cant.

The game could get 98% on Metacritic, this fanboy will still say its shit because he’s already decided it is. “Play it first” only works when the person you’re saying it to isnt a biased fanboy whose already made up his mind. You’re wasting your time.

42. OrbitMonkey

It sure raises a lot of debate for a beat em up, aimed at the casual crowd.

43. monkeygourmet

Like people do things like that in a gaming forum?!

The whole point of having a lot of experience means you can make fairly accurate predictions… There’s the occasional suprise, but I don’t think so I this case.

It’s hardly a Pachter like assumption. I’ve clearly listed reasons for it looking awful and haven’t heard / seen anything to change my mind.

Sure some people may like it, but some people also like generic cash in 1.0, doesn’t mean it’s any good.

44. Ireland Michael

Snake in SSBB was stupid no matter how you look at it. Defending his inclusion is no less fanboyish than any of the people supporting the mish-mashed cast in this.

@36 This whole copy-paste thing they’re doing with this and LBP Karting is very much a new thing. I just hope to god it doesn’t become a consistent thing going forward. Sony are smarter than that.

@41 I’ll say this…

Based one the trailer, the gameplay *looks* extremely lacking, and the design looks half-assed and soulless… but there is still plenty of chance it could turn out to have some sort of miracously deep gameplay. A lot of people feel that way about Virtua Fighter, for instance.

I think PSASBR looks weak, but if the final product is solid, I’ll be more than willing to say so. It will always remain a transparent ripoff of someone else’s creative ideas no matter what happened though.

And that’s supposed to be Zynga’s territory, not Sony’s.

45. lexph3re

Actually when you have experience you don’t make better choices. You make more conscious decisions. Their completely different, if you were to make the claim “I think this game maybe pretty bad. But, i’ll keep an eye on it” That would show experience. But, your saying ” This game I never played is sh*t, won’t compare to *insert* I hope it fails.” Which show’s fanboyism.

You come off as inexperienced as opposed to experienced. The experienced Fighter doesn’t claim he can beat the world. He realizes he has to observe his opponent first hand.

46. ManuOtaku

#44 i dont think it is a very new thing, as great as uncharted and killzone games are, they were created in order to compete against gears and halo, even to the point that uncharted did had a more fantasy setting in naughty dogs minds, but sony insisted in a game more like gears, also crash bandicool was done to compete with mario 64, i think the series that were created without specific games in mind were, twisted metal, metal gear, god of war and the lots of goods RPG series sony is know for, therefore i think it is not a very new thing, or a thing it is done with those two games only, oh and dont get me wrong i dont think this is a bad thing, because all those games were great in their own right, and also this happens a lot in this industry on all manufacturers,not only sony they always keep a close eye to the competition, juts stating that this is not a new thing.

47. lexph3re

If you want to be successful you have to keep your eyes on what the consumer wants. That’s knowing you audience business 101. If you don’t have a audience you don’t have a source of revenue. Besides as much as people complain Sony/MS don’t have franchises that cater to the fun like Nintendos you should be happy when a company listens and gives you what you want to see.

48. Ireland Michael

@46 There is a wide berth of different between generous inspiration and this.

49. ManuOtaku

#47 i agree, i just try to state is not a new thing, like he did imply that was only in those two cases, is like you say is business strategy an iam fine with it, becuase that way we are getting great games on all platforms, which is great IMHO.

Having said that, the only thing i dont like about this issue is like what i did stated on my previous comment, is that sony is using SMB to promote their game, i dont think that is good, not for them not for nintendo, and lacks originality on their part, besides that iam ok, and i hope it turns out a great game, i will wait for the reviews though, especially on the gameplay department.

50. Dragon246

@48,
    If its such a blatant ripoff as you say, why doesn’t ninty sue sony.
    Oh wait, they cant.
    Its a hell lot different in gameplay than ssb. The entire “super” thing changes the game entirely. You cant properly demonstrate gameplay and controls in trailers.

51. lexph3re

Actually it’s great PR for both Nintendo and Sony. Now they can show that the options are open and even give some coverage for SSBB at the same time. That’s like how when I look up SSF4 combo videos and find KOF13 combos too. It just helps with awareness of both

52. Ireland Michael

@50 They could if they wanted to. But the gaming industry as a whole is full of blatant cloning. It’s not something that has a lot of strength in the courts. That and the fact that Nintendo probably don’t really give a fuck.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, as they say.

There are differences in the gameplay, obviously, but that doesn’t change the fact that entire shell, concept and a huge portion of the gameplay design is ripped straight out of SSBB, the only other game of its type. Only a blind person or a raging fanboy could possibly argue against this being a rip-off.

It’s amazing me how much people can delude themselves sometimes.

53. ManuOtaku

#48 sorry but changing a game (uncharted) when the creators did had a complete different vision of what the game was ( with fantasy settings and all the likes), in order to compete with gears, is not better than what you think this case is, for me is even worse, now we never know how that uncharted game would end up being, maybe it would be way better, or worse, but now we never know, and just to compete with gears, i did prefer if uncharted was release under naughty dog original vision to tell you the truth
    p.s and maybe its a possibility here that naughty dog did had a very well plan trilogy, but what we got was almost the same game but perfected, although for me the second was the better, the third was the same thing but not as great, but either way now we never know.

54. Ireland Michael

@53 What the hell do Gears and Uncharted have to do with any of this? The games are nothing alike.

55. lexph3re

Actually there’s a major difference in gameplay. In SSB the focus is Percentage and Smashing your foe off the board. In PASBR the focus is supers/orbs/vaporizing your foe. Those are actually huge differences in gameplay and style.

SSB has open levels PASBR has closed. The only thing people can claim rip off of is it’s a brawl game based on unique characters inspired by First party characters. And even there Sony’s take goes beyond the scope of nintendos because they have “All-Stars” meaning they can have people from any franchise they left it open.

56. Ireland Michael

@55 “The only thing people can claim rip off of is it’s a brawl game based on unique characters inspired by First party characters.”

Lawl. The “only” thing. That’s what’s makes it so funny. 90% of what it is is identical.

An apple can be can be green or red but it’s still an apple, not an orange.

“And even there Sony’s take goes beyond the scope of nintendos because they have “All-Stars” meaning they can have people from any franchise they left it open.”

That doesn’t even make any sense. The name means no more or less than Smash Bros does.

57. lexph3re

Also, I have been looking through youtube on Sony’s official pages and none of their direct videos tag SSB

I think you we’re looking at the tags of a person that uploaded it.

58. ManuOtaku

#54 Agree they had not that much in common, but i mean the fact it was created the way it was in order to compete with gears, even if the results are not the same it was done in order to have some things that are very similar to cater the same crowd, like the shooting and the cover mechanics, Naughty Dog stated that they had a fantasy setting in mind, but they changed because sony insisted in compete with that game, thats my point we dont know how it did play, maybe it was different if the setting was different too, now we never know.

59. lexph3re

Yeah but they taste differently and cook differently too. Just because an green apple can be categorized in the Apple family doesn’t mean it does everything it’s apple brethren do.

60. lexph3re

Actually yes it does the name is Playstation: All Star Battle Royale. Which if you read it how its structured is a game that is hosted by Sony but has All Stars. That’s called word play. Same how if you were to make a movie about Bruce Wayne like; Bruce Wayne: Batman!. It let’s you know Batman is the subtext to the main idea being Bruce Wayne

61. ManuOtaku

#59 Yes, but they took a green apple, and turned like a brownish red apple, they could let them be green as original intended by Naughty Dog.

62. lexph3re

But what does it matter now? Naughty Dog like the Master chefs they are made a amazing franchise definitive to this generation. Why complain about potential when they clearly lived up to it.

63. monkeygourmet

My sentiments were de-railed slightly with the over focus on Snake in Smash Bros. The point i was making was;

Even with Snake being the most out of place fighter in SSB, they still did a better job of making him gel with the rest of the fighters than how this looks…

You must be so blind to not see the terrible quality of this game. I mean, look at the gameplay videos!!!

It is what it is:

A quick cash in copy with no heart in it and average looking graphics / gameplay.

It’s like when Pixar creates a popular animation, then a cash in studio makes up a quick version in the hope it will confuse consumers into buying the copy.

Now, if they really had to copy, why make such an inferior looking clone?

64. OrbitMonkey

Sony fanboy: Yes! Finally got us a SSB’s!

Ninty Fanboy: Stop ripping us off!

Xbot: Looks rubbish !

Zynga: Well played!

Sony fanboy: HOW DARE YOU!!

65. Bojangles

There are some truly hilarious straws being grasped here.

People need to take a step back and realise they’re seriously discussing the merits of apples in this so called argument.

66. monkeygourmet

Have you not read a lengthy comment session on here before? :)