Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee HD: First screenshot emerges

Thursday, 9th August 2012 11:57 GMT By Dave Cook

Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee HD gets its debut screenshot, courtesy of developer Just Add Water.

The shot was just revealed over at the game’s official Facebook page.

Here it is:

Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee HD will also be showcased by series creator Lorne Lanning at this year’s Eurogamer Expo.

1. Eregol

Dark

2. Dave Cook

Very dark!

3. DARKFiB3R

You called? lol

Sweet, used to love this game :)

:Hello
    :Hello
    :Follow me
    :OK

4. Eregol

*Fart*
    *giggle*

5. fightclubdoll

Will it be on 360?
    I miss Oddworld. Takes me back to old xbox days, I love Munch and Abe.

6. YoungZer0

I hope the first one adapts the checkpoint-system from Abe’s Exoddus. The checkpoint-system from the first one has been incredibly frustrating.

7. TheWulf

I pretty much loved all these games for many (hopefully) obvious reasons. Interesting, creative, and not short on wonder. Not to mention the dark undertones, and the great humour. Sometimes I wonder if I’m one of the few people on this world of ours who doesn’t suffer with chronic shallowness and superficiality. And this series appealed to my lack of both.

I loved pretty much all of the games in this series. I even appreciated how in Stranger’s Wrath you could capture targets alive, you weren’t forced to kill. If you just played better, you could complete levels without a single fatality. …holy shit, imagine that. A game without constant fatalities.

Why are there so few games that give you the option to not kill?

I guess that’s my sanity speaking, though, because I’m not the greatest fan of constant fatalities. I can tolerate it in the name of a good game… but it still bothers me. And I do wish more games would give us the option to not kill. It leaves me convinced that the wrong people are right about videogames when I think of things like that.

As it is, though, I openly invite anyone to try Stranger’s Wrath, and moreover, to try completing it without killing. It’s a genuinely interesting experience. To be honest, I’d love to play more like that, where I’m on the side of the law – and the law doesn’t kill.

I’m just not a fan of killing. Is that so weird?

Sometimes I feel that it is and I’m the Bizarro Gamer, because I dislike the one thing that defines so much of our hobby. Does killing have to have such a focus? You can fight without killing… you can disable, temporarily debilitate, render unconscious, trap, and sneak past opponents. But all too often we’re left with the only option being death.

Even in the boss fights of Deus Ex, ‘kill’ was about all you were given.

Anyway.

I do like this series. I like it a hell of a lot. And any news of more of the shiny HD versions thereof landing on the PC makes me very, very happy.

8. ManuOtaku

#7 i do agree, theres has to be more options in games i mean the killing part, with the not killing part in order to do objetives within the game, thankfully i think there are more games that are taking this approach with each passing gen, lets wait to see how Dishonored turns out in this regard.

9. viralshag

The Batman games, Deus Ex, Fallout, Skyrim, Mount and Blade, Tetris, Splinter Cell games, pretty much all racing games, sports games, beat em up games, some MMOs, puzzle games…

There are plenty of games out there without killing…

10. YoungZer0

@7: Yeah, i remember that was one of the things that really bothered me about Splinter Cell Conviction. It’s like the Punisher Game where you simply have to kill everything you touch. I mean it worked for the narrative of the singleplayer mode, but there was no reason to leave it out in the other modes. The previous Splinter Cell games allowed non-violent options.

I love the Abe games. I was pretty young when i played them for the first time. Two years ago i tried myself on Abe’s Exoddus again and managed to complete the game with all 300 Mudokons alive. Never played Munch’s Oddysee. Have it on my PC though.

Also have Stranger’s Wrath on PC. Played it for around 2-3 hours or so, no kills and then stopped. I really lose interest fast in games if there isn’t an interesting narrative to drive me through the experience. No to mention the fact that the PC version isn’t what i’d call a good port. The controls are iffy and i don’t understand why we never received the HD update.

11. YoungZer0

@9: Skyrim and Mount & Blade? Are you sure?

12. viralshag

@11, you can ride around picking flowers and making armour while enjoying the scenery if you want to in Skyrim. Mount and blade you can simply ride around trading. They are both games with the option of doing something other than hacking and slashing people to death.