Zen Pinball 2: PS3 & PS Vita release date confirmed

Wednesday, 8th August 2012 14:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Zen Pinball 2 is heading to PS3 and PS Vita in September, and will come with a mystery PopCap-flavoured surprise.

Launching on PS3 and PS Vita September 4 on the US PS Store, Zen Pinball 2 is expected a day later in Europe.

Developer Zen Studios confirmed that the game will be cross platform between PS3 and PS Vita. What’s more, buy either version and you get the other absolutely free. Zen Pinball also comes with online leaderboards, friend challenges and a whopping 26 tables, with new tables released as DLC after launch.

Zen Studios also teased a PopCap themed board based on one of the developer’s biggest hits, but didn’t say which. Sneaky.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. OlderGamer

“What’s more, buy either version and you get the other absolutely free”

About time, more games should be like this. If Sony could do that with their own frnachises, Vita would move off of shelves a lot faster.

2. Dave Cook

@1 Yeah man, it’s a neat system :)

3. DrDamn

They did with MotorStormRC, expansions for Wipeout, Hustle Kings and will be doing it with Sound Shapes.

With bigger games it’s harder to justify but with the smaller ones they are setting the trend.

4. Dragon246

@OlderGamer,
    Its done with most ps3/vita sony first party psn releases.

5. OlderGamer

That is awesome, this is the first time I have heard of it. I don’t own a Vita. I saw that one of my fav PSN game(Dungeon Alliance), was 15usd on PSN, yet it was 35usd as a Vita game. I thought that was lame. It was one of teh reasons my interest in the system was lower then it otherwise might have been.

In the end, I still plan on buying a 3DSxl. I think it is a better value with a stronger line up of games I want to play. But I think there should be a hella lot more games that play across both systems(Vita/PS3) with just one purchase. That makes great sense and provides nice value.

6. DrDamn

It’s not just that you get both versions either. For some like MotorStormRC progress is cloud saved across the two. So get further on one version and pick it up on the other. It’s a real strength of the system if you also have a PS3.

Dungeon Alliance was one of a handful of games very overprices at launch taking advantage. It’s been in the bargain bins since and come down below £13 in some places.

7. OlderGamer

Yeah, imo, the cloud save stuff is not a big deal. It is a nice feather for your hat. But it isn’t a system seller. If I can buy, say, MVS3 at the store for PS3, and have it come with a digital copy for your Vita. Thats the type of thing I am thinking.

I think it should be a no brainer for PSN titles. But I think they should expand it to full retail games. Kind of like the BluRays you can buy that includes a SD DVD and a digtal code all included in the box.

Prolly won’t happen tho.

8. DrDamn

There was a recent survey which suggested they are considering this for bigger games, but cost was involved. I.e. buy on PS3 and get a discount on Vita. The question was asked for bigger third party titles too I seem to remember.

In your example what would happen if the PS3 version was subsequently traded in? :)

9. OlderGamer

One time use codes, I guess. Thefore making the trade in pointless. And that prolly has its own set of advantages for the publisher.