Borderlands 2 experience like Diablo 3: Randy Pitchford

Tuesday, 7th August 2012 04:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Borderlands 2 is a lot like Diablo 3 when it comes to the varying experience offered by different classes, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford reckons.

Speaking to IGN, Pitchford said players of the original Borderlands liked to experiment with different classes, much as he’s doing right now with Diablo 3.

“I’m playing as a Mage but I’m definitely going to also play as a Barbarian so I can chop dudes up with melee weapons instead of casting fireballs,” Pitchford said of his Diablo 3 habit.

“That changes the whole nature of the experience. There’s a lot of people that play Borderlands like that, as a hobby. Adding characters is more for those kinds of gamers.”

Gearbox has wrapped development on Borderlands 2 and is now working on a substantial piece of DLC – a whole new class, the Mechromancer – which involves a lot of work.

“It’s not like some games, where you create a couple of chapters where I can play as this character. We’re making a character class so it works for the whole game. You can go and play the entire game as this character, and you can play with any of the other characters in co-op. It has to be balanced,” he said.

“There’s a lot of design complexity to do that. But we really wanted to try it, we wanted to push ourselves, because if we can figure that out, we think that’s awesome.”

Pitchford said adding a second female character gives players who prefer women avatars a choice, and Gearbox my even add further characters beyond that.

“We’ll probably want to be adding more characters. With Borderlands 1, we did four DLCs, and they killed. We had a lot of fun making them,” he said.

“Right now, we have a lot of momentum. There’s still a lot of energy and love from a development and talent point of view. There’s a lot of folks who want to do stuff and have ideas about things we can do, having finished the game. We created hooks in the game that allow us to add characters as patches, as DLC. There’s no technical reason why we couldn’t do more.”

The Mechromancer DLC will be free to those who pre-order Borderlands 2, which arrives on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. ejams

More characters? That sounds wonderful :D I’m not sure how much I really enjoy the mechromancer class based on what has been shown, but more characters would definitely have my support. I wonder what other sort of personality archetypes they could go for. Right now they have the most basic ones (the leader, the crazy huge tank guy, the lonesome quiet individual, and whatever the siren is… the girl?). That would leave them room to delve into more complex personalities for characters, and as DLC that would be intriguing.

2. TheWulf

Well that’s a massive turn-off. Bland characters marred further by dull, linear progression routes is not what I want. I want to be able to make more wildly crazy builds, like I can in Torchlight and Guild Wars.

Not what I’m looking for, Randy. Blizzard are known for being banal and uncreative, they’re not what you want to point at and say that you’re like. Not unless you really want to turn people off your game. And I mean that. The character classes and their progression was one of the most boring aspects of Diablo III. Diablo II was miles better. There are just so many things you just simply cannot do in DIII (like my favourite example, the one I’m fond of: the Barbarian who specialises into throwing).

DIII is basically cookie-cutter and very WoW, very restrictive, it doesn’t allow for a lot of freedom in regards to how a player can build their characters. You can play a Barbarian through twice in DII and have vividly different game experiences, but if you play a Barbarian through twice in DIII, you get the same experience.

Everyone knows this by now. It’s one of the points that soured people most quickly, and it’s what killed the desire anyone had to replay DIII. Simply because there’s just no damn differentiation. It isn’t a Barbarian with so many variables that that Barbarian splits down into numerous other subclasses. It’s just a Barbarian. The same Barbarian every, single time.

And if Borderlands 2 plays like that?

Consider me not interested.

3. ejams

@2 – If you played the first borderlands, you already know replaying the game as the same class but specializing in different skills resulted in a distinct experience in itself, complimented especially by the random generated weapons and class mods. In the second, we all know things are getting expanded in every direction. I doubt it will come down to seperating a class into multiple sub-classes as unique as Diablo 2, but by looking at the different skill trees, it is at least their intention to try. Even if I have to replay the game as a similar class and build as I did last time, the loot system keeps things fresh (maybe only in my eyes, but I’ve done the same Mordecai build with similar skills every time and still find myself having a different experience).

4. freedoms_stain

@2, read the article, then please edit that bullshit to oblivion.

5. DrDamn

Wow impressive. What he said is that classes offer a distinct experience. Surely that is absolutely something which must be true in the first place for what you are wanting? I.e. if the characters don’t offer a unique experience how would builds within that character.

6. Judicas

I personally hope it’s very different to diablo 3, I don’t like hearing this being compared to the catastrophic letdown that is diablo 3. The more it’s like borderlands 1, but improved, the better. Hoping this is going to be a great game.

7. Erthazus

“I want to be able to make more wildly crazy builds, like I can in Torchlight and Guild Wars.”

Retard much?

I can build better and much interesting builds in Diablo than in two these games.
    Sorry pal, if you played through the “normal” difficulty that does not mean that you know builds.

8. Gadzooks!

#2
    Well done, you are establishing yourself as quite the resident tard.

B1 had very distinct character styles, made even more divervent as you levelled. My personal favourite was the turret’o'doom build, it felt like I was carrying my own co-op buddy with me.

Character DLC sounds like a great idea to me.

9. viralshag

New DLC characters and classes sound great. I’d love to see some sort of new character added with every DLC pack they do.