Black Ops 2 multiplayer reveal features knife fights, drones

Tuesday, 7th August 2012 18:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Black Ops 2 has a new trailer out, showing the first multiplayer footage of the Treyarch shooter. It’s full of drones, and plenty of knife and tomahawk fights. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 takes multiplayer into 2025 on November 13 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Peetry

It seems to me that they’re trying to nullify the skills that veteran fps players have grown up using, i.e. the skills of prediction, the skill of noticing a tiny movement and reacting quickly. A lot of what I see here is using special abilities to turn the game into a turkey shoot. Legal walls hacks is just crazy talk

2. Erthazus

@1, actually that is oppossite. All these gadgets are just a simple marketing.
    BloPs1 trailer showed cool new gadgets too in the end no one used them except for RC car which was the only option to blow something with style.

Skills of precision and noticing a tiny movement and reacting quickly is still there. Quake 3 mantra lives in 2012 to this day.

3. TD_Monstrous69

This is exactly what I want from a Treyarch Call of Duty game. Good job, cant wait to get online November 13th (though sseeing as how I’m getting it for my PS3, will I even be able to? If Treyarch treats the PS3 like Infinity Ward did when MW3 launched, I’m gonna be pissed).

4. Maximum Payne

What’s up with commentary at the end ?

5. AHA-Lambda

Looks good, not seeing anything that looks different from before as was promised, but looks good.

6. Patrick Garratt

I thought that looked pretty good, tbh.

7. OlderGamer

Is that PC footage?

I ask because the game looks like it had some more color depth then I recall the first one having. It is still largly unitoned but looks better then I remember.

8. viralshag

I thought it looked better than “pretty good”‘ tbh! :p

9. Gigabomber

It looks like they upped the bullet damage, so in 80% of those situations, before getting to use their “clever” gadget, they would have been filled with lead. Also, the music. That’s the music you’ve chosen for the biggest franchise in gaming history? Who’s cousin was singing?

10. someguy2

@8 Prettay, prettay, prettay good?

11. f1r3storm

YT comments on CoD vids are so predictable. And sad in many cases.

12. viralshag

@10, preety preety preety good!

13. Erthazus

Yeah. It looks pretty good for a 2005 game.

14. xino

looks crazy…big step up.

where is the knife fight!?

15. someguy2

@12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

16. absolutezero

Ill stab the first person that says “They appear to be changing things up!” like its a fucking positive.

I want a “They appear to have re-built it from scratch and everything is different. Theres vehicles again and its a new engine and its brand spanking amazing. It has a commander who gets an over head view of the entire match, it has a map-maker built in!”

HO HO HO Hardscoping.

17. M. K.

Looks great, looking forward to it!

18. viralshag

@15, haha sorry mate your original reference was totally wasted on me as I haven’t seen the show! :p

Thanks for the link though, all is clear now!

19. G1GAHURTZ

@4: He’s one of the commentators from one of the shows that you get with Elite Premium.

__________________

As for me, I hate fake weapons, so I think I’m going to be sticking with MW3 for another year…

20. Dave Cook

@4 It’s the new esports mode. Treyarch has always hinted that Black Ops 2 will make big steps into eSports.

21. mikeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZxb66ksdDY&feature=plcp <–black ops 2 multiplayer analysis

22. Hcw87

So it looks like weapon damage has been upped (what on earth were they thinking?). Now it’s even easier to get kills (and get killed), than before. It’s the future after all, surely they have armor that can absorb bullets better.

Either way, it seems like another game for casuals so far, gonna have to see alot more before i even consider getting this at full price. Black Ops was way better than MW2 though, probably because sniping wasn’t so insanely OP there.

23. CPC_RedDawn

I am sorry but this look horrendous!!!

MW3 was and is VERY VERY VERY bad. This is from a big time COD fan, ever since COD1 on PC. MW3 just sucked big time. Too many noob weapons, and FAAAAR too many explosives that noobs can plant and camp. Claymores, C4, I.M.S, Bouncing Betty, etc. They are all waay over used and are just annoying that someone can not aim the gun and kill the skilled way. Plus Quickscoping is far far too easy in MW3. Even MW2 took some degree of skill to perfect it.

Black Ops 1 was a great achievement by Treyarch. At least they tried, the story was good for a COD game that is something in its own right. The weapons were pretty balanced, Sniping was a challenge like it should be. All the cool gadgets, RC car, flamethrower, etc were cool but no one used them because the novelty either wore off or they were pointless.

However, this trailer just proves to me that a lot of MW3 has riddled its way into what could of been a very good and competitive game like Blops 1 was and still is. The XRAY scope is just INSANE!! Waaayyy too go Treyarch now the game will consist of people using this all the time, way to give every player a wall hack completely taking away from the skill. The stun throwing knife… great! Now people dont even need to get a hit with it just through it near an enemy and they are immobalised for a quick and easy kill. The streaks, like the romote sentry, flying gun, are just silly. Yeah sure its meant to be in the future but I dont want that. I would of much prefered Black Ops 1 reskinned with laser guns instead of bullets. It was THAT simple. Instead what it looks like is they have created a game that is bloated with far too much crap that everything will just get annoying.

I hope to god the perks, once fully announced, will balance things out more. Cause this looks like its going to get very annoying… very quickly.

I simply can not see how people could take this game seriously in eSports!!! I mean, really where the hell is the skill. Blops promod and COD4 promod take way more skill then any COD game so far. And they had to be modded by the community first!!

Ah well, alls not lost in the realm of real competative esports gaming… Just preorded CounterStrike:GO on STEAM for £10 :)

24. CPC_RedDawn

@16 They are NOT using a new engine. Your telling me that in 2 years they have built a new engine from scratch and made all this content, single player, zombies, and multiplayer in just TWO years!?? It took DICE 5 years to get to Frostbite 2.0 and it took Crytek 9 years to get Cryengine to version 3.0 and it took Epic 7 years to build UE4…. No way on earth Treyarch built a brand new engine from scratch this quickly.

Lol I am sorry but they are still using the exact same engine as before just slightly updated.

What they have done is started from scratch with the multiplayer, its still using the same engine. But instead of basically just reskinning everything from the previous game they have started from scratch with building the game it self. Not the engine! Its still the same old 10 year old modded Quake 3 engine.

You wont see a new engine is COD till the next consoles.

25. Erthazus

I’m not a fan of Call Of Duty the way it is now but I want to say that Futuristic setting makes it better looking in my eyes because fast paced twitch shooter does not work with modern military setting. Soldier running with a backpack like a fucking chicken looks stupid and kudos to Treyarch that are trying to do something a bit different.

Modern Warfare 3 was just a fantastic crap with horrible maps. The game essentially was made by three studios which in the end was a complete failure in everything.

@24, “You wont see a new engine is COD till the next consoles.”

How do you know that there will be a new engine? Call Of duty never developed a new engine since 2003 Call Of duty game which used old modified id Tech 3 engine.

26. Moonwalker1982

I’m sorry dude but if they dare to come with the same engine on next gen consoles, i’m just gonna laugh so goddamn hard it’s crazy. All my friends, and some of them still play CoD except a new engine 100%. If that won’t happen, boy are they gonna be let down. It would be pathetic if they dare to have these kind of graphics on the new consoles, whenever they come out.

27. Mineral4r7s

I suggest you take a look at Natural Selection 2.

28. Fin

Looks good! Black Ops was my favourite MP after Call of Duty 4!

29. Da Man

Regardless of nutcases who tricked themselves, fact is they did develop a new engine for MW in 2007. Probably the only thing left is a few lines which define how the crosshair moves on screen. Much like the Source and GoldSrc, derivative of Q1.

Surely I might as well say that GoW3 uses the same engine found in the original PS2 videogame, because I feel like it. GoW even plays exactly the same as it did in 2005. So do MGS 2 through 3, they clearly use the same engine as the 98 PSX one (good grief, they even have the same system of every area loading separately, precisely the same as on PSX). Same for RE from Dead Aim through 4 and 5 because the movement is exactly the same.

PC fanboys. The worst chippies.