Xbox 720: “new Xbox” is “coming out with Windows 8″

Monday, 6th August 2012 16:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 is “coming out with Windows 8,” according to what could be a slip-up by Microsoft general manager Brian Hall.

Hall was discussing the launch of Outlook.com in an interview with The Verge when he mentioned the “new Xbox” in relation to Windows 8.

Here’s the full quote:

“We’ve had Hotmail and operated Hotmail for about 16 years, we obviously have Exchange, and Outlook, that people use at work. We just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those and put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we could have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office with the new Windows phone and the new Xbox.”

You can hear Hall say the words in the recorded interview below, from 1 minute 17 seconds:

Thanks, Wegotlife.

1. Doomsayer

So why exactly is that suprising again ?

2. Andrew@WeGotLife.com

Hi Dave. I just wanted to say a big thank-you for crediting my little blog at the end of your article. Not many of the bigger sites do this. Cheers! :)

3. G1GAHURTZ

It all depends on how you semantically define the word “with”.

To me it looks like he’s saying that these products will launch at the same time, rather than the new windows phone and the new Xbox will have windows 8.

4. Dave Cook

@2 not a problem Andrew, without the source news can’t happen :)

@1 because Microsoft is at least acknowledging the console’s exisitence again, instead of another ‘no comment’ dodge.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Yes. The more I read it, the more I realise that this is exactly what he’s saying.

Windows 8, Office 2013, the new Windows phone and the new Xbox are all part of Microsoft’s “new wave of products”.

Nowhere does he suggest that the ’720′ will launch with Windows 8.

6. BlockheadBrown

This is being misconstrued. The next Xbox is being referenced as a new product, which it, the new phone and other products mentioned will be. That doesn’t mean “Windows 8 is IN the next Xbox”. Will Metro styling proliferate across their new products? I definitely believe so. All he’s doing here is associating “new Xbox” with new products, which happens to include Windows 8.

7. Lewis247

He clearly states that its this outlook service that will be incorporated into the next wave of products: Windows phone, 8, next xbox.

No where does that interchange to, windows 8 incorporated into the next xbox.

8. HeavyD-Love

All i gotta say is….if this “new Xbox” is $299 like they are suggesting….I can’t wait for day 1 purchase.

9. DrDamn

Next XBox comes with Email client is pretty big news by itself – not coming with Windows 8 too is probably a good thing.

10. Patrick Garratt

I’ve edited it slightly. He said the “new Xbox” is a product “coming out with Windows 8″. I’ll leave it at that.

11. Cobra951

@8, provided all SP games can be played offline with no caveats, I will probably join you.

12. Dave Cook

Sorry for the confusion guys, we actually did have a chat about what the guy was on about, glad we could reach a consensus with your input :)

13. TheBlackHole

Erm…

“the new wave of products that we could have coming out with Windows 8″

COULD have, not WILL, not DOES… COULD.

Not even a hint of a done deal. More speculation.

14. Ireland Michael

Lets be completely honest here… no matter how you want to spin it, the title is still blatantly misleading, attempting to say something that simply wasn’t said for the sake of tabloidism.

15. majicship

I don’t want a computer in my living room. That’s where I keep my games console.

16. vormison

And only another year of this, folks.

17. Phoenixblight

Makes sense Windows 8 is scalable, made to work with tablets,smart phones and PCs. SO why not a console?

18. Meta_Dragon

Because windows 8 is complete trash and yet Microsoft seems to think it’s actually a good OS.

19. Ireland Michael

@18 Under the hood, when it comes to running the actual machine, it’s a perfectly fine OS, and its just as reliable (if not more so) than Windows 7.

The only problem with Windows 8 is the god awful homogenisation of the interface, thanks to Microsoft’s laziness.

20. Talkar

^It also increases performance in gaming, my fps went from 103 to 117-121 in StarCraft 2 ;)

21. Maximum Payne

@20 Really , that good ?
    When was last time you re install that windows on which you get 103 frames ?

22. Ireland Michael

@21 Windows 8 uses memory more efficiently than Windows 7, is less CPU intensive than Windows 7, and does a better job of offloading unnecessary processes than Windows 7.

It stands to basic reason that things would run faster.

23. freedoms_stain

@19, there has yet to be a version of Windows that didn’t suffer from “Windows stank” eventually. Periodic reinstalling of any Windows OS is still advised to maintain performance – that makes it not an ideal candidate for pretty much anything.

If xbox 3 ships with a version of Windows 8 you can practically guarantee it’ll be a cut back locked down version, so I wouldn’t pee my pants just yet unless you’re a big fan of the shite Microsoft likes to call software.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 “there has yet to be a version of Windows that didn’t suffer from “Windows stank” eventually.”

I’m not really sure what you point it. Even with fresh installs, Windows 8 is faster and less process intensive than Windows 7. Performance is not one of Windows 8′s problems. Shitty design is.

“If xbox 3 ships with a version of Windows 8…”

Why are people still assuming that the Xbox 3 is going to have Windows 8 when it’s already been clarified that the remark was taken out of context?

25. Old MacDonald

There were people who kept going on about how much better Vista would be too.

26. Ireland Michael

@25 I’m not really sure what you point is. Windows Vista was a resource hog right from the get-go, compared to Windows XP. Every version of Windows since has required lower specs, which in an industry that is constantly changing the golden carrot of better hardware is honestly refreshing, and smart design too.

People are simply looking for an excuse to blindly hate Windows 8. Its fine to have problems with it. Just make sure those complaints are pointed in the right directions.

Personally, I *do* think Windows 8 is a disaster, but I’m not going to levy criticism where there frankly isn’t any to be made.

27. lexph3re

I like windows 8. I got a free(my tuition pays for it) copy of it from MS’s official site. Installed it on CPU’s at school and tickered with it for a while. The only thing I don’t like is it’s clearly a touched based GUI and with the Surface it’ll run extremely smooth. But, on desktops/laptops if they don’t have touch screens it’ll be annoying.

Only *disaster* I see is how easily it’ll be to gain access to people desktops through their phones/tablets if you have the skills. The communication between them are too seamless.

28. gameflow

Interesting. I believe Microsoft is trying to establish the new Xbox as the “living room personal computer”. We’ve seen at the E3 how they push the whole multi-media/streaming tv concept and heading for a wider audience. I assume that they dont see the Xbox as a “classic” gaming console any more. Personaly I think we will also notice this direction when it comes down to tech specs for the 720…

29. freedoms_stain

@24, “Windows Stank” if a term attributed to the tendency for machines running Windows to drop in performance over time in a manner in which neither Linux nor Mac OS seem to, it has nothing to do with the performance of a fresh install.

Hence the idea of utilising Windows on a machine I expect to have a lifetime of potentially 5-10 years is not appealing.

If MS have finally eliminated Stank in Windows 8, then fantastic, but seen as Windows 8 doesn’t look like a massive step away from 7 I kinda doubt it.

30. Gadzooks!

#28

Thats a rediculous thing to say. Xbox is only now catching up to the non-gaming media capabilities of PS3, so do you consider that a media-focussed ‘also does games’ machine too? Lets not forget that without non-gaming bluray playback the PS3 would not have survived it’s first year on the market.

Its called evolution. Technology changes and ALL consoles and handhelds are incorporating extra media functions. What you call a ‘classic console’ is simply an outdated idea.

31. DrDamn

People are still missing quite a lot of implications here. I think from the quote and audio a direct link from Windows 8 to Next Xbox is tenuous, but there is a clear indication an email client of some sort will be included.

That’s a natural progression. MS and Sony have always been aiming for a multi-function set-top box. Games were a way in but extending out to media, social networking and communications were goals too. What’s potentially interesting is that if communications in terms of messaging/email is extended and standardised then how are you going to use these tools with a standard controller?

“Living room personal computer” isn’t the aim. It’s still going to be focused on consuming rather than creating. With a PC you might write a document, program, produce. With a set-top box you are playing, watching, sharing, communicating.

The overall implication of a more fully fledged email type client also suggests some more interesting possibilities. The current XBox messaging system is quite basic. I think we’ll see screen and video capture becoming standard features of the OS in the next xbox and PS4. Linking in to social media and a more comprehensive messaging/email system allows you to share your gaming experiences more.

32. Da Man

Please do keep Windows out of this, one of the reasons I have an Xbox is because I don’t want to be using that thing.

33. Ireland Michael

@32 Windows isn’t part of it.