Valve Source 2: Discovered files hint at developer’s new game engine

Monday, 6th August 2012 08:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Half-Life 3 could be taking so long because Valve may be creating a whole new engine for it, according to a breaking rumour.

Discovered by Valvetime.net, files located within Valve’s Filmmaker program reference what could be the studio’s next-gen engine.

This line of code in particular catches the eye, “Return an str with the current engine version. If key doesn’t doesn’t exist, assume ‘Source’, otherwise invalid — assume next-gen ‘Source 2′”

The launch of Source 2 would go against Valve’s tradition of incrementally updating the Source engine over time, but it could give the studio a huge leap going into the next-gen of game development.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Pytox

This is obvious , they probably need it to render borealis well :P

2. Malmer

Why not license an engine like CryEngine or something like that and focus the efforts on the game instead of the tech. It’s not like Half-Life needs some new tech that can’t be added on top of an existing engine. Then we would maybe even have the game by now…

3. Edo

Half-Life 3 on Source 2?Seems legit…in 2025 :D!

4. Yoshi

This is kinda obvious… I’ve said this every time people question when HL3 will be coming out.

HL1 – PS2/Xbox gen
    HL2 – PS3/360 gen
    HL3 – PS4/720 gen

5. Pytox

That’s why it’s called half-life :P

6. Da Man

That banner is sexist and scienticist.

I certainly don’t like the idea of another videogame from the fatty. With all due respect, Half Life is terrible. That said, quite frankly it’s clearly not as good as Bulletstorm.

It’s obviously just a massively overadvertised AAA tripe.

Does Bulletstorm leave Half Life in the dust? Easily, in terms of character development, sheer emotions and artistic design. Does Half Life sell more? Sadly, yes it does. Lowest common denominators never learn.

Don’t feel the empathy and want to share opinion? Gtfo.

7. domnage

Current gamers’ evil souls will be redeemed only with Episode 3, NOT Half-Life 3. There will be no Half-Life 3, because the life ends with Episode 3.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

Wise words from Da Man everyone, the out-spoken has spoken. The Symbol of plain ignorance and the champion of mockery. *standing ovation* hats off, you sir, you nailed it.

You should get a job at circus man, I admire your efforts for making us laugh our balls off.

Epic character designs are indeed epic, a few good examples would be Marcus Fenix and Grayson Hunt, very perceptive men. Here are few examples:

Marcus Fenix quotes:
    - Shiiit!
    - fuck
    - dip shit
    - bullshit
    - SUCK PAVEMENT

Grayson Hunt: What? What does that even mean? You’re gonna kill my dick? I’ll kill your dick! How ’bout that, huh?

EPIC Character design and development for you right there.

PS: Bulletstorm ahahahaa, that was a good one.

9. Da Man

Playing Half Life is clearly exactly the same as working overnight. Only idiotic fanatics would ever do that. Think about it, you work overnight and get a bonus, and you a play a videogame which you bought for your own money and get nothing.

That said, I certainly have an opinion that fatty is nothing short of obese. You might disagree but that doesn’t change the fact that millions of people on the internet share my viewpoint.

I’ve been reading Wikipedia section for obesity for about half a year and came to the conclusion that Steam negatively affects people. They spend excessive amounts of time in one position and become obese.

Nothing is black and white (certainly). Being fat means you can have more followers from mmo players. That said, people should still try and practice sports lifestyle more often. Did you know that when you don’t practice morning exercises for a week you automatically add to Romney’s votes? Chances are, you didn’t. Be warned however, that overdoing it is dangerous and you should consult Google search on a regular basis.

10. Da Man

——-

You’re right, unpronounceable. Which is why when people comment on my favourite toys I reply with ‘It’s baseless’, or else ‘This is not true’.

As an utterly ignorant clown, I ‘m as well as two-faced that I only ever notice negative attitude from one group of people. Say, the unholy Xbox. And Apple, which I don’t have the money to buy smartphones from.

On the other hand, when I see someone as loki, I tend to agree and just ignore his ramblings.

P.S. Bulletstorm was the biggest insult in the history of fps.

11. BULArmy

Da Man your trolling is failing you.
    @4 Half-Life was never a console game, so your argument is invalid. Yes it is on consoles, but the PC platform was the main development place.

12. Da Man

^missed that one, #8 unpronounceable? You’re welcome.

13. GwynbleiddiuM

As if your comments could ever get any dumber. And whatever the fuck that has to do with your bulletstorm argument, one may never know. However, you’re a see through, a satirist who enjoys mockery. Everything you say on this site serves only one purpose, trolling. You’re one of those foreveralone types that need to get attention from around the internet. There are lots of information floating around the internet, some of them are heavily biased some of them are based on researchs some of them are just theorycrafting and so on, however in a convenient way your’s is always like that fish who swims against the flow of water.

14. Da Man

What argument?

I have this argument that a wall of bla bla bla based entirely on forum/blog posts from a search engine (or worse, just some psychotic hysteria) is just as much of a discussion as Metal Gear Solid characters are ‘writing’.

Simple.

If I wanted attention, I’d be writing essays (which internet forever alones do on a regular basis). I point them out, genius..

15. Giskard

@2 CryEngine is worse than the current iteration of Source. Sure, it looks a bit prettier, but Source is so much more modable and effective.

16. friendlydave

Half life 2 is a pretty crappy game, I would gladly take a new Source engine, although I fear its the story and game play I hate not the limitations of the engine.

Would be nice to see what new IPs they might create for a new engine though.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

@14 Like anyone ever gonna read em, right?

18. Da Man

Rinse and repeat.

19. minxamo

Source is outdated as fuck, this is long overdue.

That said, I couldn’t care less about a new Half Life game.

20. MidlifeAxe

@9 Sorry, but are you blaming Gabe for people getting obese? Last time I checked, it’s the person’s responsibility to make sure they sufficient exercise. Correct me if I’m reading your post wrong.

Also, I will never take you or your opinions seriously when you refer to him as ‘fatty’.

21. absolutezero

I have no idea what on Earth happened here.

Its almost transcendental.

22. Lounds

I think everyone is forgetting how good Half-life 2 was compared to anything else at the time. The first time I played it, the first section of the game in City 17 was amazing.

Anyone who complains is forgetting that Valve took the decision to put more effort into developing steam as a platform. Which Steam is the number one digital download store for PC/MAC games. Who cares if Half-life 3 is made or not, all I know Half-life 2 was awesome, the sequels were well sequels.

As for the people saying that Valve have not creativity in character development hmmm, in 2004 when HL2 was realised i didn’t know any other games with such good character acting and facial animation.

Apparently DA Man has a small penis and is an expert in games development.

23. Pytox

Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were in 2004 the most hardware intensive games there were like srsly they looked nice back then

24. Giskard

Boy, this escalated quickly!

25. Anders

@23: Man, I had forgotten that Half-Life 2 was released in 2004. It might not have aged all that well, but that game was ahead of its time. I should probably go back and replay it one of these days.

26. silkvg247

The fact that a valve programmer would use hardcoded shite like that instead of enums or constants bothers me. I mean a string.. checking for a hardcoded value.. seriously? That’s a junior level mistake.

27. TheWulf

I think the reason they’re building an engine is due to the innovation they pushed with the first game – emotive faces. I mean, really, Half-Life 2 had the most believable emotions presented by videogame characters. For years after stuff tried to outdo it but ended up looking worse. Even the ‘HD pack’ for Half-Life 2 made it look worse. (This was so bad in fact that a nontrivial number looking at comparison screenshots thought that the original HL2 was the upgrade.)

Even today, Source still has some of the best facial expressions and emotive characters to be found in the industry. HL2, L4D, Portal 2… and so on. Now, my opinions of these games are irrelevant, here, because the technology they used for emotions on faces was obviously very impressive, I recognise that. And I’m speaking objectively, here.

So what are they going to do with Source 2? Probably push the believable nature of their characters even further by having them show even more genuine emotion. And this is going to be very interesting to see.