Gears of War FPS could happen: “Never say never”

Monday, 6th August 2012 12:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Gears of War as an FPS? It goes against everything the series has stood for, but Epic Games executive producer Rod Fergusson isn’t ruling it out just yet.

Speaking with OXM, Fergusson was asked about the possibility of Gears of War FPS.

“I’m a big believer in never say never,” Fergusson replied, “It’s all about what’s interesting in the industry at the time and where fans want us to take it. We don’t want to say never but it’s not on the top of my mind either. We look at what makes sense and move in that direction.”

Fergusson also relinquished new details on Gears of War: Judgment, currently in development at Buletstorm studio People Can Fly, “Our Gears game was heavily scripted – lots of cinematics, big storytelling stuff. People Can Fly is very much about things in level with a high replayability because of the Smart Spawn System, which brought to it by changing the AI.”

“So yeah, PCF’s campaign is a different campaign, but at its heart it’s Kilo squad, and Lancers and taking cover – it’s a Gears game”, he concluded.

1. Judicas

Dear R.Fergusson GTFO, kthxbai. I’d love to see them attempt to announce judgments eventual sequel as a FPS at a big expo, they’d get boo’d out of the building.

2. Ercarret

My first thought was, “A Gears FPS? Sounds like a horrible idea!” But then I got this image in my head of me sawing Locust in two from a first person perspective. Yes please!

3. friendlydave

As longs as with the announcement of a Gears FPS there is also a GOW Kart racer and GOW Tennis I will be A-ok.

4. unacomn

Could happen? Then what was Unreal Tournament 3?

5. Erthazus

UT3 was essentially Gears in FP mode.

I wish they would reboot Unreal series really.

6. friendlydave

@5 I agree, ut99 probably holds the most accumulative hours of gametime for me over the years, Was all I really played through School/college, would love to see the series return to being great!

7. Lounds

Unreal 3 was terrible.

8. Erthazus

It was not terrible, but it was meh… Epic really dropped the ball with it and moved on to Gears.

9. Fin

Epic are good, the Gears of Wars series is good, chances are an FPS would be too.

Sorted.

10. DrDamn

Without a cover mechanic – kind of integral to the Gears games that bit.

11. Erthazus

“I think a hybrid ala Rainbow Six could work. FPS which switches to TPS when you go into cover.”

It would, but tactics or Rainbow Six style is not where Epic is really good at. These guys are Pro when it comes to shooting mechanics and fast paced gameplay.

I want U series reboot or a sequel. Whatever, badly.

12. HeavyD-Love

I think this could only work with a “on the fly” button switch that toggles between standard 3rd person and new FPS (with a smooth real time transition). Can’t take away 3rd person cover in Gears of War. But some FPS segments would be cool here and there.

13. G1GAHURTZ

You can switch between perspectives in GRAW 2, iirc.

The problem here is that, as a TPS, Gears is (obviously) much too slow to be a competent FPS just by changing the perspective.

There would have to be some sort of tie in, rather than a simple switch.

14. Da Man

We already had one.

It controlled like a refrigerator and was less interesting than Dom’s personality.

15. ManuOtaku

Oh the irony, looking at bulletstorm (its cancellation)

16. Meta_Dragon

Sure why not? As if there isn’t enough FPS games out in the market today.

17. Stavrosmct

Flip, flop FLOP – too many other FPS games out there, and it would spoil the series.

I had high hopes for Bulletstorm – and that flopped too
    Twitter @Stavrosmct