Star Wars 1313 dev explains why the hero isn’t a Jedi

Friday, 3rd August 2012 13:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Wars 1313 creative director Dominic Robillard has revealed why the game’s protagonist isn’t a Jedi, and has stressed the importance of delivering a character you can relate to.

Speaking with OPM, Robillard explained his team’s choice of hero, “The demi god complex that you’ve maybe seen or expect, frankly, from a Jedi game is definitely one vision of what playing in the Star wars universe could be like.”

“But we wanted to do something that had a much more ‘relatable’ hero character,” Robillard continued, “Someone who was more grounded, and that meant ultimately having a character who was bound by the range of human ability, but that still gets to do amazing things through his gear, his gadgets and how he gets to use the level design.”

Star Wars 1313 is out some time in 2013.

What about you? Are Jedi more fun to control, or do you think it’s about time someone else got to have all the fun? Let us know below.

1. Takeshi

Sure, I understand that. But they have to do more than just that to be better than the Unleashed games. I didn’t hate playing a Jedi, what killed my enjoyment was the repetitive environments and gameplay.

2. LordSkyline

All we (or atleast I) want is a Battlefront 3 and possible Republic Commando 2 v.v

3. heyvc

I think the Franchise can be used in all fronts.. This can be a great game with a bounty hunter… It already showed us that It can work as a FPS with republic commando, and as a Jedi with the jedi knight series.. I think IS good to change a little so the Unleashed series get a little forgotten and they introduce a new game with Jedis preferably with a good story like jedi knight series… They have even space combat series.. that are great.. Star Wars has a LOT more than just Jedis..

4. manamana

Everything LordSkyline said. Greatest SW IPs — nothing done with it this gen.

5. monkeygourmet

I just dug out my NES copy of Star Wars (JVC) Now, THAT was a game! :)

6. OlderGamer

Dave I like how you end some of your pieces with a question or two. Even if people aren’t writing about them in thread, I bet it makes em think about em. I know I do.

I think the Jedi are the ultimate goal. Playing some random faceless hero I would think, robs the game of one of its key assets.

Thing is, I tend to agree with Lordskyline above. I have never been drawn into the SW simply because of the games name. There have been some really bad ones over the years. I really enjoyed the SNES ones. The N64 ones. And of course the BF ones. Most of the rest, meh’.

7. Edo

I always wanted to play a game as a bad-ass bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe and when last year Prey 2 got announced it seemed to be going into that direction(minus the Star Wars but close enough).But,since that game is currently in some sort of development hell I am seriously interested in this project and can’t wait to find out more info about it.
    And yup,Dave is definitely bringing some extra quality to an already impressive work you guys and girls are doing,keep it up Dave :) !

8. Talkar

^While you’re waiting for this, you could play “Star Wars: Bounty Hunter” ;)

9. Edo

@Talkar
    I play my games on PC,so no :),and that game was average at best anyway(or so I ‘ve heard).

10. Talkar

It is, but it did have some fun elements in it (a jetpack is always fun ^^) and since it is a ps2 game you could always run it through an emulator :P