Call of Duty: Elite 12m players registered, 2.3m pay for it

Friday, 3rd August 2012 08:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Elite – Activision’s social and competitive hub for the series – has surpassed 12 million registered users. The news came out of the publisher’s annual financial report. You can read the VG247 report on the company’s performance here.

Call of Duty: Elite currently has over 12 million registered users, while only 2.3 million gamers pay for the premium service.

The staggered method of MW3 DLC has proved a sticking point for some gamers who have felt left out by periods of Xbox 360 exclusivity.

Regardless, Infinity Ward released its plans for the last two MW3 DLC drops yesterday – one for August, another for September. Check out the details here.

Thanks IGN.

1. Mineral4r7s

oh my 2,3 million sheep thats a lot of wool

2. OrbitMonkey

^ Consumes the same electronic media as millions of others, still thinks his individual.

3. Dave Cook

the 2.3 million stat ‘may’ prove that this staggered (premium vs normal) method of content delivery is confusing for some, and makes non-payers feel left out. I would feel that way if I were them.

4. Fin

“Only”? I think a paying user base of nearly 20% is pretty good!
    Especially when they’re paying something like $50/year, that’s a not-too-shabby $115m of guaranteed income per year.

5. Dave Cook

@4 don’t get me wrong bud, 2.3 million paying $50 a year is a lot of money :)

But any company seeing that just under 10 million people aren’t paying for its service has to start asking itself some questions, chiefly, “How do we get that remaining $10 million to pay up?”

Be keen to see how they handle it with BO2.

6. Mineral4r7s

It is just sad. All those sheep are steering the gaming community in all this DLC shit and they dont realize it. People like SpaceMonkey dont make it better either.

7. OrbitMonkey

^ One of the biggest games this year, Diablo3, always online and real money auction house. One of if not the biggest subscription games, World of Warcraft, same gameplay with various expansion facelifts for the past few years.

But by all means point the finger at CoD and it’s fanbase.

All those players of the the other 2 games I mentioned are obviously free minded individuals and by no means helping perpetuate the practices you supposedly despise.

8. friendlydave

Do you think this includes the people who purchased the ‘hardend edition’ and got a year free of elite?

Because I got that in sale from GAME for £25 (was cheaper than regular at the time) so I never really “payed” for it….

9. OrbitMonkey

^ Me too!! Bargain that was :-) But yeah I’d say it counts as you still have to register on the Elite site.

10. drewbles82

I loved how anyone a few weeks ago on xbox could get two content packs half price especially since the 2nd had only been on a month. The next two will prob be on sale the week before BO2

11. G1GAHURTZ

Elite Premium review:

(Said I was going to do this ages ago, but could only really be bothered here and now…)

Ok, so I’ve got actually got Elite Premium for both the Ps3 and 360, so I’m paying $100 a year! Nah, I think I’ll have to cancel the PS3 one before it’s due for renewal and just keep the 360 version.

[A point which makes me look three months down the line and see a few forum topics from people complaining about being charged for Elite for another year because they forgot that it's set to auto renewal. So don't forget people!]

I initially only intended to play MW3 on PS3, so after switching to 360, I had to get a second copy of Elite Premium, because it’s not cross platform.

Anyway, the first few months were a complete mess. The thing basically didn’t work. There was no DLC. All there was, was a constant stream of tweets apologising and saying that a few extra people could now access the website at the same time… Obviously, when those tweets went out, more people tried to access the site, and guess what happened next.

Eventually, they got it sorted out.

Well… When I say sorted, what I mean is that they made enough compromises that the thing actually became accessible.

For example, there’s no way to stay logged in. You have to re-type your password every single time you go back there. I can only assume that this is to lighten the load on the servers by logging people out every time they leave the site.

So anyway, being a ‘stat man’, I got into checking my stats while I was still on the PS3 version. You’d have thought that it would have been easy to use the same stats that are in-game, but no. For while, the stats on Elite and the in-game stats were different. Which kind of made the whole thing pointless.

So, yeah. I stopped checking my stats.

Basically, after a good long while, it looked like the only reason to get EP was for the maps. Eventually, the content started coming, and the cost finally began to attempt to justify itself.

Aside from the maps and stats, there is some video content that you can get on there.

There’s a gameshow that follows the exact same format (and intro scenes) every single episode, but it’s mildly entertaining enough to make you want to watch to the end… ish.

You can watch games as a spectator, I think. I’m subscribed to HUSKY StarCraft on YouTube, and I watch lots of SC2 games, because they’re entertaining, even though I’m not playing.

However, I don’t think CoD is vey watchable. 1v1…? …maybe… …but team games? No.

There are some other shows on their, but they last about 5 minutes, and you could probably find better produced stuff on Machinima or some other YouTube channel.

So it’s all bad, G1GA? You say?

Well, no.

Over the last few months, the site has been very stable. The stats have been very accurate, and I’ve been using EP just about after every gaming session to check out all sorts of stuff, from my own stats, to who I managed to beat/lose to, and if they just had a one off game against me.

It’s really interesting atm.

On top of that, the maps/game modes/extra missions have been coming quite regularly, so I really have begun to feel like the game is offering me amzing value.

The only problem for an EP subscriber is that you have to wait for the Elite packs to be released to the general public before you can play the new maps in any normal gametype.

Otherwise, you’re stuck playing only the new maps with other EP subscribers.

So, to summarise:

Started off as a complete FAIL. Went ok, went bad again, now it’s looking much better.

7/10

12. AHA-Lambda

I admit I don’t think I’ll bother with Elite with Black Ops 2 (I just don’t play online enough to justify it and I got Elite with the Hardened Edition) but even then I must say I am sick of the month exclusivity shit on 360. I didn’t care too much before when it was just 4 standard release map packs, but when it is a steady stream of content?

It’s infuriating tbh, it just feels like I am constantly missing out and playing catch up with others just cos I play on PS3.

PS: also not happy with the batch of recent content all being maps for that crappy face-off mode.

13. G1GAHURTZ

I really enjoyed the Face-off modes for a while, but the biggest problem is with people quitting.

My connection isn’t the best in the world, so every time the other guy quits, it ends the game, and I lose the XP and the win that probably would have been added to my W/L stats.

14. freedoms_stain

@4, 20% of Elite users, less than 10% of MW3 owners.

15. DSB

I think you got it wrong there Dave. A 15% adoption rate is pretty great for any scheme like this.

When the New York Times monetized their online news, they were counting on losing 90% of their readers, but it would still be more profitable than ad income.

That’s usually the case with the nickle and dime. I’m pretty sure someone like Zynga aren’t expecting more than 5% of their MAU to spend a dollar, if even that.

I have a relative who makes high end commercial websites, so I know for a fact that most online storefronts go for a ratio of 3% of visitors actually buying something.

It really boggles the mind, but apparently you do make a lot of money that way.

16. Dave Cook

@15 good post man :)

Actually when you put it like that, it makes sense. It’s the old, get people spending a little, a lot technique.

So having 2 million people paying a full $50 a year is probably better than having them pay $2 three or four times a year.

I might have to do an editorial on this issue, it’s a big one at the moment :D

17. DSB

Well, now you got me interested too. It seems the NYT has actually managed to make 39% pay for online news :P

I just remember the whole discussion when they initially suggested it, and they were pretty confident that even with 10% of their readers paying a sub, they would still be making more than they would on ads.

The method is spreading like wildfire though, so there must be something there. My favourite local newspaper is going for a metered paywall soon :(

18. Unlimax

WHY THIS HAPPENING .. I don’t understand this world why people keep feeding every Activi$ion movement .. damn people wake up already :\ !!

19. Dave Cook

@17 ah really? Thats a shame man :(

I can honestly see a world where we subscribe for most of te content we consume, rather than individual purchases. You’ve already got Spotify premium music subs, Netflix, onlive, Audible book subs, season passes, battle log premium, elite premium, max Payne 3 membership. It’ll go much bigger than games I’m sure. It’s still a we market in relative terms and it’s interesting to see where it’s headed.