Ultima reboot is pure BioWare, ‘focus on story and choice’

Thursday, 2nd August 2012 09:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar may be in the hands of new developer BioWare, but it won’t be a basic dungeon crawler. Executive producer Jeff Skalski has revealed that it will be a classic BioWare game through and through. Let’s hope the ending’s up to scratch then.

Speaking with Games.on.net, Skalski explained that the Ultima reboot will play to BioWare’s strengths, “We have some of the best writers in the industry and even though we are scattered across several locations as an organization we do our best to share best practices among each other.”

“Ultima Forever is more than just a dungeon crawl game with friends”, Skalski continued, “At its core is a story of a journey with choice. The eight virtues are threaded throughout the game and your actions will dictate how you progress those virtues.”

Check out the full Ultima Forever interview here.

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar beta is now accepting registrations. Hit the link to get involved.

1. Sini

and homosexuals

2. OrbitMonkey

Sini loves cats

3. Erthazus

Can i fuck real players using a traditional Bioware method with shitty wheel dialog system?

4. revolting

An odd statement to make… Ultima games have never been “basic dungeon crawlers”, story has always been of great importance. Even with the free-form nature of UO, the idea wasn’t that there was no story, but that the story was handed over to the players to weave as they interacted with each other and the world. But the main Ultima games have alway been story-heavy.

5. joshua nash

i expect this to be as dry and dull as Dragon Age 2

6. Gheritt White

If this came to consoles, I’d probably be interested in trying it.

7. TheWulf

No, no you don’t.

As sore as I might be at Chris Avellone sometimes for being a bit of an egotistical prick, Obsidian will always have not only some of the best, but in fact most of the best writers in the RPG industry.

I would say “If you want the best writers, buy Obsidian.” but fuck no. DO NOT DO THAT.

(I don’t think I’d object too much to Bethesda buying them, though.)

8. fearmonkey

This is interesting…… I’m looking forward to seeing it in action, but I’m disappointed it’s not really “Bioware”, it’s Bioware Mythic. I hate EA’s naming other studios “Bioware”.

9. Joe_Gamer

I don’t trust Bioware to get anything right these days.