Pachter backs SWTOR for 50 million monthly users

Wednesday, 1st August 2012 23:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Despite the (arguably erroneous) gloom over Star Wars: The Old Republic’s imminent free-to-play conversion, industry analyst firm Wedbush Morgan is still backing EA strongly – and believes the MMORPG’s best days are before it.

In a note issued to investors, Wedbush’s Michael Pachter said EA is still a safe bet, and had particularly glowing prediction for the future of BioWare’s effort.

“We believe the free-to-play option and lower retail price will combine to significantly increase the number of Star Wars players by the end of the year as the two largest barriers to entry for potential Star Wars gamers (apart from an appreciation for the franchise and PC gaming) have been significantly reduced or eliminated,” he wrote.

“We expect the network effect to augment the number of gamers further. In the long-term, we believe the adjustments will result in incremental revenue and earnings growth as high-margin Cartel Coin purchases by a much larger pool of gamers and additional advertising generate more revenue than was lost through declining subscription fees and the lower MSRP.”

Just how many gamers does Pachter expect SWTOR to bring in? “At least 10 million MAUs indefinitely, with upside to perhaps 50 million,” he said.

Thanks, GamesIndustry.

1. KrazyKraut

Ehm…THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA!

2. vaalix

Ahahahahaha.. I got a bridge to sell you patcher ahahaha. This clown has to be in EAs back pocket. 50 million users? 10million ??? What a joke. Gw2 will barely have 2-3million and this clown expects swtor to have that many because its a severely limited free to play… My god how are.these idiots even employed by anyone. Swtor is dead and finished.. Stick a fork in it.

3. viralshag

I think Star Wars games always sell pretty well, even some of the lesser well received games normally do ok. Considering TOR is far from the best SW game out there and the best SW game wouldn’t get close to these ridiculous figures he’s using, what on earth is he basing this on?

4. Phoenixblight

Free Realms would be something to base it on it has a huge amount of users because of the F2P model which is probably Pacther is basing it on. I dunno about 50 million because no current F2P has that many numbers but 10 million sure since its F2P. Star wars is a much bigger franchise than Free Realms.

5. GrimRita

‘Patcher talks out of his arse for 2nd day in a row’.

There is no way on gods earth SWTOR will even peak at 5 million users. 2 reasons. 1 – the game is crap 2 – The game engine.

6. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Okay, I mean. Okay. Erm. I guess he feel that ‘you know, because Star Wars is like, a thing, and MMOs are like, a thing, and now people don’t have to pay, so, hell, why not: 50 million. Yeah, that’ll get me my name on all those websites I show to chicks.’

Really though, and he’s an analyst? It’s one thing to know your business models, another to claim any knowledge of the common gamer psyche, which he clearly doesn’t. I’m with all the previous posters here. We might see a rise up to five mil if EA market the shit out of it, but that’ll collapse again in a few months when people reach level 50 cap and realise that it’s not, in actual fact, very good by that point.

First 30 levels of TOR are excellent. Should have just given those away instead of asking for money only at the point at which players are going to be bored shitless with it.

7. Edo

How the fuck in the world it became relevant what this moron says!?

8. TheBlackHole

There are a few F2P games who sit around the 3-5m MAU mark, Guild Wars, RuneScape, Dofus etc… Nothing like 10-50m though.

Even LOTR is only around 500k, I think.

9. roadkill

I was going to say something bad about Pachter.. but I’m not going to because of the incredible amount of moronic spelling mistakes in this thread!! What the f**k people!? viralshag, Phoenixblight, GrimRita, DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough, Edo go back to school children! They teach you how to write since the 1st year. Which obviously you missed.

10. Hybridpsycho

No one cares about Pachter and all his opinions are worth just as much as any random internet-rager.

Please stop quoting this asshole on everything, when he no longer gets attention hopefully he’ll stop saying stupid shit.

Not everyone has English as their native language, some countries have utter shit education on that front. Their points got through and that’s what matters, go play grammar-nazi somewhere else.
    Sincerely, the internet.

11. Edo

@roadkill
    Are you for REELZ!?

12. TheBlackHole

Actually, most of the time Pachter’s problem is that he’s Captain obvious.

I’m actually a little surprised he’s said something so speculative.

13. OrbitMonkey

@9, They teach you how to write since the 1st year… That right their is some seriously bad grammar… You skip the 1st year too?

14. viralshag

@9, Erm, please point out what spelling mistakes I made?

I actually can’t believe I’m asking YOU to point out MY mistakes…

15. TheWulf

Sigh. Spelling != Grammar.

Anyway, I’d be amazed if they managed more than 5m overall with a ‘rotating door’ userbase. (Bringing more people in as others become bored.)

But 50m? My goodness. Talk about wishful thinking.

16. roadkill

viral Hmm.. You didn’t actually make any spelling or grammar mistakes.. I’m sorry. My bad.