Darksiders saves unlock a set of armor, scythe in Darksiders II

Wednesday, 1st August 2012 20:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Still have your old saves from Darksiders? Good for you for hanging onto them, because they unlock two in-game items in Darksiders II: the Pauldron of the Horsemen and the Chaos Fang. The first is a level 5 piece of armor which boosts Death’s stats and crit damage, while the other is a level 1 scythe which also boosts Death’s crit damage, and overall damage. The in-game item unlocks are based on unlocked Achievements. Darksiders II is out on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in just a couple of weeks.

1. Talkar

I’m confused is it based on if you have the save game, or if you have the achievment, or both?

2. Kabby

I believe you need to have completed certain achievements from the previous game. Since there are only two unlocks it’s probably first and last. i..e I have played Darksiders, have one cheev, (shit unlock) and I have completed the game (better unlock).

Vigil says.

Players who played the first Darksiders will unlock the Pauldron of the Horsemen in Darksiders II. This level 5 legendary armor piece boosts all Death’s stats as well as his critical damage. Gamers who have finished the game on any difficulty will also earn a level 1 legendary scythe called the Chaos Fang which will boost Death’s damage and critical damage.

The in-game item unlocks are based on Achievements you have unlocked. So if you haven’t completed Darksiders you might want to pull your disk out or download it directly from Xbox Live, PSN or on Steam to get ready for Darksiders II.

As I said. :)

3. Hcw87

Well you need the savegames so the game can verify you actually have the achievements, don’t you? Achievement data for the title is in the savefile i guess.

4. Kabby

Not necessarily. If they can query the achievement API you won’t need a save on your machine. But it depends how that shit is done. I’m a bit out of the loop when it comes to cheev integration.

5. Talkar

@2 ahh stupid me, i should have read what vigil said. In that case i’m safe, i have every achievement in the game ^^

@3 Don’t know if it is like that on the consoles, but steam achievements are saved on the steam service so you don’t mess with them :P

6. Kabby

Perhaps, but it is possible to hack Steam cheevs. I found the following blog when I was looking for a Witcher archive unpacker. http://blog.gib.me/

7. Hcw87

Several games have used the savegame method in order to grant unlocks based on if you played a previous game (Forza and Shift 2 Unleashed for example), so i doubt it’s any different here. I would recommend another playthrough to get the savefile just in case though, if the unlocks are a big deal.

As with any unlocks of this sort though, they usually only last you a few levels until you get something better, so it’s just trivial anyway.

8. Kabby

You level up your weapons in the Darksiders II game so it may be possible to keep it till the end. There is a long video on Giant Bomb that talks about it I believe.

9. Strawb

I’m confused by the wording from Vigil. When they say “will unlock if you have played the game”, does that mean that you basically just have to enter the gameworld, and you will get the item?

I hope the unlocks are read from the achievements. I don’t think I have the save-game anymore, but if the game loads through Steam, it should be able to load the completion achievement.

10. Talkar

Everyone can extract anyones achievements by using the follow line “http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetPlayerAchievements/v0001/” followed by a couple of parameters such as the games steam ID, and the steam id of the user.

11. Gerard1981

@#8 Kabby: You don’t level your weapons in Darksiders II. You can only level Possessed weapons. Which are semi-rare. You can’t level the regular weapons you find. You do find better weapons as you increase Death’s level, but you can only improve the Possessed weapons.

12. Kabby

This is true. We don’t know if the unlock weapon is a possessed weapon yet. If it isn’t, no big deal.

For anyone who’s not been following DSII you can feed standard weapons to ‘possessed’ weapons and it increases their stats. The stat bonuses are taken from the weapons you feed it.