Dragon’s Dogma 2: Capcom reveals first details

Monday, 30th July 2012 12:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon’s Dogma 2 is in development over at Capcom, and series creator Hideaki Itsuno has revealed the first snippets of information. Did someone say ‘quest creation’? More after the jump.

OPM reports that in a Famitsu interview, Hideaki explained that only 60-70% of his ideas for the original Dragon’s Dogma made it into the final game, leaving plenty spare for Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Quest creation is one idea that didn’t make the cut, but it’s on Itsuno’s ‘to-do’ list for Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Hideaki also reveals that the Dragon’s Dogma game world was only two-thirds of what he originally wanted. Given that the game is clearly huge in scope, that’s a huge cut.

We’ll have more on Dragon’s Dogma 2 as it happens.

1. DSB

I just picked up the first one on the 360. Slightly dodgy framerate, but I think it just might be the best one I’ve played this gen next to Red Dead Redemption.

Believe the hype :P

2. SlayerGT

@1 Strenghth in numbers Arisen ;D

3. Moonwalker1982

I’m always in for a great RPG and i gave Dragon’s Dogma a chance, but i just couldn’t get into it. I don’t see the appeal, aside from a few cool things it just didn’t do it for me.

4. et_phone_home

From Metacritic…

***20 reasons why Dragon’s Dogma should be in the making 4 more years*** “4 years in the making”, “hundreds of people involved”, “From the creators of Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 4″, “The most ambitious project from Capcom to date”, “A BIG budget game”… Is this a sort of Japanese Joke? At first i gave this game an 8, now, after finishing the game it gets a 4. Why? At first this looks like a great game with cool combat and a HUGE map to explore and you are willing to forgive some fails, but after some dozen hours you get to realize what this game really is and not willing to forgive: reason 1) They make us believe there is a BIG map to explore by hidding it, but this is one of the smallest game maps in the world of RPG’s (go and check Google images for the full map). 2) The total absence of lip synch is annoying (even the Muppets do it better). 3) An awful story with more holes in the plot than a Swiss cheese. 4) The constant monologues of your companions: “See master, a rock (98745 times)”, “Wolves hunt in packs (642947 times)… 5) The almost absence of side-quests. You get objectives, not side quests: (kill 50 fearsome rabbits), (kill 2 cyclopes), (Kill the JRPG’s)… 6) The ‘cinematics’ if you can call them that, sucks! 7) The graphics are not up to today’s standards, they look like PS2 HD graphics. 8) The armors are ugly, not even a decent armor set that makes look like a badass. I was hoping all the game to get a decent armor… it never happened… 9) At the end i understood why there was no decent fast travel system, because this game is so small that makes no sense having fast travel, but i passed the same roads over and over and over and over and over again. 10) You fight the same enemies in the very same places all the time, but, if at level 1 a goblin or a wolf can get you a fight imagine at level 60! And at the end if i close my eyes i can guess where they are because they appear always in the same location. 11) You can’t change your skills at any time in the game, you have to go to the Inn and say “Hey man i wanna change my skills…”, why can’t you change them whenever you want wherever you want? 12) At first the combat looks cool but in the end i find that there are no real strategy fighting the enemies (like in demons/Dark Souls), i just keep using my 2 most powerful strikes every time and against all sort of enemies (boring). 14) The number of ‘dungeons’ to explore is a JOKE, i just remember about 6, no more than 10 (Skyrim has 150 and Amalur 120 dungeons to explore) and they were reused for different quests. 15) The character models are very bad, the monsters, not so bad and the Big monsters nice with nice animations. 16) People like the spawn system, but because you have to constantly change your party, you never get emotionally involved with your companions (you just don’t care if they die in combat or if they fall the abyss, and that’s a part very important in an RPG, like the involvement you get with your team mates in Mass Effect…). 17) The 2 black bars always present like in a movie so the poor graphical engine could keep the framerate in this ‘open small land’ game. 18) Bad voice acting and bad dialogues. 19) The pseudo quest DLC’s just to rob you some more money. (Go and get some medallions quests). They suck, they should be free or be included in the small game. 20) Only a few different monsters. You are always fighting the same monsters. There is not a lot of diversity and different tactics to fight the enemies, just hack and slash with your most powerful strike. (i never had to block a strike and only died twice at he beginning) ***Resuming: I’am more criticizer with this game because they made us believe this was a Big production game in a Big open world and that’s not the truth. At the first hours i had fun with this game, but towards the end i was anxious to see the end of the game, like in FFXIII. My advice to the producers. Take some holidays, play Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, The Witcher, Fallout, Kingdoms of Amalur…, take some notes, hire decent artists and than you can try to make a decent RPG in the western way… Good luck to Dragon’s Dogma 2, but you still have a LONG road to walk!

5. YoungZer0

@4: You know, if you would’ve hit ‘Enter’ from time to time, people would’ve actually read your comment.

6. stretch215

@4 you have way too much time on your hands. This game is NOT perfect, but after finishing it, it’s one of my favorites this Gen. If you’re on the fence, try a demo.

7. Lord Gremlin

Completed first Dragon’s Dogma two times now, really good RPG. Playing on PS3, loads of people are assaulting bloody Ur Dragon he’s already generation 103…
    Damn, let me tell you – gen 103 is way more hairy that 50-60.

P.S. Now this is a proper console game – hundreds of hours in, no problems, no freezing, no noticeable framerate problems. That’s a worthy full price purchase, let me tell you.

8. DSB

You’re saying there’s no lag on the PS3 Gremlin? :(

Sad panda. I wish it would’ve come out for the PC, it seems made for whole social media era, but then that’s Capcom.

9. YoungZer0

The game takes way too much time before it gets interesting. I was bored half the time i was playing it. I played it for like 10 hours and then went back to demon’s souls. Pity, really, the combat was fun. But that’s the only thing that’s fun about the game.

The story is as uninspired and boring as it gets. Sidequests are also boring as hell. Same goes for the art-direction and the world itself. Boring, bland and uninspired.

@8: I didn’t have any problems with the PS3 version.

10. SlayerGT

I’m really not feeling this “games are garbage if they aren’t beloved by everyone” state of mind the gaming community as adopted. If a company makes a game that they like, and budget it well, and enough gamers like it enough for said company to make a profit..I say win. To each his own I guess.

11. DSB

@10 I think we can all agree that people are allowed to like games however they want, and that if enough people do like one, then that game is ultimately a success.

But it doesn’t mean you can’t critisize it.

Personally I’m in love with the systems of Dragons Dogma. The sheer connectivity of it, from pawns to quests, is really stimulating stuff. I hope it sets a new trend for these kinds of games.

It’s just brilliant to be using other peoples characters as your party members.

I can totally look beyond the weird story, even though I do think it’s kinda cute for what it is.

“Dragon eats my eart, and that pisses me off quite a bit” :P It has some of that charming Super Mario sensibility to it, even if I’m stuck with yet another bland silent character, who can only grunt at the world around him.

12. bitsnark

““Dragon eats my eart, and that pisses me off quite a bit””

My brain had an 8-bit fart reading that.

I’m sure some enterprising dude out there will make a 8-bit video of that scenario. Hopefully.

13. SlayerGT

DSB you finish the game yet?

14. Hed

Dragon’s Dogma has a pretty decent story that explains everything and is quite unique. You just have to get to the ending. When I finished the game for the first time I only felt more interested in this strange world and started playing the game over to find more information about the characters. I’m almost certain they designed it this way on purpose.

15. Sasha_Je

@4 Dragons Dogma was a rushed game. Why something like this happened I don’t know because it was developed/published by Capcom but because of this you can see a lot of problems at this title. Leaving all this aside DD came up with some pretty neat features, the way you interact with the monsters ( first time shown in SoC yet no one attempted anything like this ) and the combat system that let’s be honest it kinda rocks. Apart from Sorcerer skills that work a bit different there are no skills with power, so by using your 2 most powerful skills I don’t understand, it’s more like Souls where you get a type of move from your skills. Anyway there is a lot to enjoy out of this title if you actually play it, I invested around 200h in it and overall it’s not bad. The story may have holes but at the end of the game those little twists are awesome. I like how they created the transition to NG+, it feels more natural. The main issue of this game is not the size of the map, I would rather have something smaller packed with content and by having a small map it’s easier to optimize but indeed the variation of monsters could have been more high, a crafting system was a must in a game like this yet we only have a basic enchant system, as for the side-quests there are over 200. You mentioned the dungeons from Reckoning, in that game there where like 6-7 tops dungeon layouts ( didn’t play Skyrim, so no comm ). As for your advice to the developers…we have a decent combat system thanks to the JRPGS, that WRPGS do good is create a good story and flood the game with lore, apart from that everything feels flat. Fallout is a shooter, Amalur with 10.000 years of history written by R.A.Salvatore was rubbish, Oblivion/Skyrim are still in the 90′s with they pathetic combat system and bugs and so on. What I am trying to say is that DD it’s not that rubbish compared with what we have on the market right now. If you ask me Capcom should have not waste time into developing a new IP and should have gone with a Monster Hunter. We didn’t had a title on the “big screen” since PS2.

16. Gigabomber

The gameworld was fairly empty without many side areas and the sidemissions were dull, but the main story was pretty great. Plenty to improve on in a sequel, but I’m looking forward to it.