Rumor – Wii U to cost $299 according to GT sources

Saturday, 28th July 2012 15:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameTrailers’ editor-in-chief, Shane Satterfield, has said the site heard through “certain channels” Wii U will cost $299 when it hits retail during the holidays. Nintendo has yet to announce a price for the system, but it hasn’t stopped some retailers, such as Amazon Germany to list the console for €349.00.  The online retailer and GameStop have both listed some Wii U games for $100, numbers Nintendo said were all fictitious. Third party titles are listed on GameStop for between $49.99 and $59.99, which is the norm for new releases at present. Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Stardog

Ouch. Game over Nintendo.

2. Erthazus

299$ for that trash with 7 year old hardware, multitouch and games?

299$ brick.

3. DSB

That’s only 50 bucks more than the Wii cost when it was released. Hardly earth shattering. It actually did cost 300 dollars in Europe once you accounted for the exchange rate.

If they could justify that by providing better online and third party support, I wouldn’t be held back by another fiddy.

Alas, the jury is very much out on that.

4. a7md1990

To be honest.. hardware price seems fair, while WiiU games price can be shoved up Nintendo’s ass.

5. OrbitMonkey

I’m pretty sure the more people flood the forums with tales of doom, the greater chance of success in the *real world* ;-)

6. Stardog

Yeah but I’m assuming it’s going to translate worse into £’s. If it ends up £199, then maybe it’s ok, but I think it might end up more.

@OrbitMonkey I bought the Wii on day one, so how does that work?

7. OlderGamer

300usd is fair. The gamestop placeholder prices need to be adressed because of people think those prices are real it will hurt preorders.

I have also read that PS4/XBNXT game prices are also 80-100usd. Prolly where they got the number for WiiU prices.

I won’t be buying the WiiU at launch tho, I just bought a new PC isntead. Maybe afte rthe first price drop.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Not much wrong with that price…

What it needs are killer apps.

I’m not sure if Nintendo Land is on the same level as Wii Sports.

9. CPC_RedDawn

That is not a bad price at all, if it is true. I was hoping for cheaper, but Nintendo are famous for changin prices of new consoles. 3DS anyone? Also I remember when the Gamecube was released here in the UK (3rd May 2002) they said it would cost £200, then it dropped down to £179, and finally it released priced at £139 which was epic for a new console, and in my book the best console of last gen (no flaming please).

Also what people have to realise is, it may have the same or a little more processing power as the 360 and PS3. But lets face it they are not going to throw in chips made from 7 years ago. The CPU and GPU chips will all be much newer, and based of a much smaller fabrication than current consoles which to my knowledge are STILL touting around with 90nm CPU’s when PC hardware has moved on to 22nm. So there is one thing for sure, it will be a lot less power hungry, and a lot more efficient too. So more could potentially be squeezed out of it.

Also, lets not forget how powerful than Wii is, and just look at what Nintendo produced from that. Mario Galaxy looks amazing for that hardware. All I want is a Metroid game made by Retro for the launch WINDOW (not day one). And I will be sold. Just give us a decent online service, who cares if you copy your rivals, I wouldn’t. Just as long as friend codes are gone and replaced with actual USERNAMES!!!!

10. Sini

$100 too high. You failed nintendo.

11. FeaturePreacher

Anyone know what size of storage that $299 tag comes with, if it comes with any storage?

12. Phoenixblight

No as this price is a rumor once things are official you will get all the info you seek.

13. Da Man

No bc – no buy.

14. OlderGamer

lol DM, you wouldn’t have bought one to begin with. Or ‘lest not admitted to it here.

Also, from my understanding it is fully BC. Tho it won’t play Gamecube games.

15. Da Man

U mad?

I would.

In fact, I was going to get the original Wii.. but then decided to not get it, because after thinking about it I don’t want to spend 50 hours on Xenoblade.. Originally I thought I would. I swear.

If this thing won’t play Wii games I definetely pass.

16. OlderGamer

So your not getting the system because you think it won’t play older games of a system that you didn’t find worthy to purchase in the first place?

Your funny.

17. Da Man

I ‘m saying I would consider getting Wii U if it was backwards compatible.. Because I might, after all feel like it to play Xenoblade.

No bc -not even going to consider.

18. OlderGamer

I believe the system is fully BC.

But, if I was a person that wanted to play a small handfull of Wii games, I think I would buy a Wii. Around where I live a Wii can be bought for 70-100usd. That is less then 1/3rd of the purchase price of a WiiU. I would only buy a WiiU if I was interested in owning new Nintendo games. If i was just looking to tinker with older stuff…orig Wii would cover that.

imo.

19. dreamcastnews

@10 Piss off, you weren’t going to buy one anyway, idiot.

20. Da Man

Wii wasn’t that appealing to purchase it (obv) since there weren’t enough software for it I liked, and the ones that existed asked for way too much time and way too little fun in return.. and the new one will have the new content plus the old one. Thus, in that case I might get it.

It wasn’t a question of price, Nintendo electronics are cheap enough here, I just didn’t want to buy something which collects dust.

I hope I made it understandable now.

21. NocturnalB

Can somebody please clarify this for me because I’m not at all an expert on Nintendo. Is the Wii U JUST a controller with a screen in it? Or is there an actual console box with it? Or is it like an upgrade you hook up to the Wii?

22. Phoenixblight

Its an actual console. The WiiU is more about the new controller just like the Wii was more about the nunchuk and wii mote.

23. Erthazus

@22, it’s an absolutely new console with a new controller.

24. HeavyD-Love

Has it been confirmed:

1. Is it backwards compatible with Wii games
    2. If yes, does it upscale to HD?
    3. If no, fuck you Nintendo, please confirm!!!!!

??????????????????????????????????

25. Phoenixblight

@1 Yes, it has been confirmed at E3 this year and last year
    @2 No, it doesn’t upscale it uses the same res as the Wii.

26. OlderGamer

“I hope I made it understandable now.”

Never was any question DM. Your trolling yet another Nintendo thread, talking crap. Again. It is all pretty plan for anyone to see and understand. No need for you to clerify it further. We see what your doing.

27. Telepathic.Geometry

The fact that it doesn’t play GC games means, in my opinion, that it is not “fully” backwards compatible. But actually, I’ve gotta go with OrbitMonkey in comment no. 5. I think that is exactly what is true. And I don’t see the problem with the console retail price. Far more reasonable than the 3DS was…

28. polygem

$299 is great, i was hoping for $250 and it will translate 1 to 1 to euro which is a shame but still that´s the price i am willing to pay day one. i just hope nintendoland will be bundled ;)
    i think nintendo would be clever to price the games around 49 euro. the 3ds games are perfectly priced with 39 euro, i don´t think twice about buying them…69 euro for halo and cod is just 20 to much imo – it always feels like a rip off if you are comparing to pc games prices.

BC: it will have fully wii bc, which is great! i´d love to find out how the tablet will work with hose. i´d really like to know if i will be able to play a game like, say nsmb wii, paper mario or kirby´s return to dreamland on the tablet alone. that would be so awesome. seriously, it would be great.

shame that it wont play gamecube games but i have a GC and a wii anyway so not a big deal for me…there are great games to enjoy on the GC though and it´s a shame that some might miss out on those. i play through wind waker again right now as well as luigis mansion. well worth owning a wii and a GC pad just for wind waker alone imho.

i am tired of this gen. ms is only making me rolling my eyes these days. i hate the ads, their price policy and those stupid faces of ugly artists in the music section of my 360.

sony have won me over while this gen lasted after i was very disappointed with the ps3 at first i now kind of like it. still i feel like i´ve lost touch with sony after ps2. they didn´t treat their mascots right. the vita showed me as well that there just isn´t too much for me to like, but hey, that´s just me.

that said…i am hoping for nintendo and myself that third party support will be king this time around. the pro controller looks great, miiverse looks solid and fun, nintendo games have always been great and now in hd they will probably be even more spectacular.
    if the third party gets on board- i swear, i´d be more than happy to only own a wiiu, 3ds and then maybe also get a good gaming pc.

i´ll buy a wiiu for sure. what sony and ms will have in store for the nextgen i will watch very very closeley.

29. GwynbleiddiuM

Well, the price isn’t all bad I think, but, there’s a tech factor that one cannot simply neglect, it’s old tech As Wii.

30. polygem

@30: who cares? like i said, i enjoy replaying wind waker atm. it is a 2003 game. it is a better game than many others i have played on the ps360 in the meantime. it also looks fantastic, still today, thanx to the cel shaded graphics. seriously. nintendo is very good at making the best out of their hardware. look at mario galaxy on the wii. it is fantastic. something like that in hd will be glorious. only problem could be third party, but i think we reached a level technically were porting isn´t that hard for the wiiu even if the next gen will be more powerfull. i don´t think it will be the same problem that the wii had being a non hd machine.

31. Da Man

Old Man, fair enough (not that I really was though). Just like your same old CoD/Halo essays. Have you ever noticed that?

Anyway, like I said the new one might have more content to interest me.

32. GwynbleiddiuM

@31 I’m not saying old tech is bad, I was talking about the price. Considering there are a lot of options at the moment. I’m not saying that using old tech is bad, that’s not the case with me at all. I’m all about games not just hardware.

33. polygem

okeydokey. gotya! srry.

34. ManuOtaku

It is a fair price, and even fairier if this come bundle with nintendo land.

As for the older tech, i think this time is not as older as the wii was in this gen, one thing i think it will have an upper hand is with the third party support, mainly due because is scalable, therefore games with UE4, ID 5, etc can still come up to the console as a scale down port, something that it wasnt the case with the wii, therefore i think in that department it will fare better, as for nintendo made games, they always find a way to squeeze all the power of their console, mario galaxy is a fine example, almost as good looking as banjo nuts and bolts.