Raymond calls for better integration of non-traditional controls

Thursday, 26th July 2012 05:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Former Assassin’s Creed producer Jade Raymond has said she’s keen on control-pad free gaming, but as a hardcore gamer, really wants to see it better implemented.

“As more of a hardcore gamer I want to see that stuff integrated into hardcore games in a way that makes them better because as fun as all those games are, I don’t really play exercise games – I can’t picture myself doing that,” the Ubisoft Toronto boss told OXM UK.

“I’d love to be able to lean and look round the corner and just integrate more natural motions. The tech for those things isn’t quite there, but I hope it will soon.”

Raymond said that as a Star Trek fan she hopes to one day see “holodeck” style games, especially as natural, immersive experiences would remove barriers to broader audiences.

“Even people who played games when it used to be just one big red button and a D-pad can’t play games now,” she said.

“You have to master face buttons, triggers and they all do different things, so obviously we’re never going to get to that really mass-market place where we’re touching a really broad audience with our messages with controllers, so Kinect and other more natural ways to interact with games are incredibly important. I think we can go further.”

Raymond’s team is currently working on Splinter Cell: Blacklist alongside Ubisoft Montreal, but is expected to reveal a new IP soon.

1. papizdano

my kinda woman

2. roadkill

LOL! If she’d be a hardcore gamer she wouldn’t play on a console in the first place.

3. Deacon

The more that industry figureheads push the industry toward this ‘mass-market place’, the more I seem to feel disconnected from it.

Why does everything have to be mass-market?? The industry won’t be better if everyone in the world is a part of it, but the guys who keep calling for this ‘retardivation’ will certainly make a lot more cheddar.

If someone’s not willing to sit down and learn which buttons do what (in the same way we learn to drive, make sandwiches etc) then they’re better off playing golf or sitting in a pub watching football.

4. OrbitMonkey

^^ Your right, she’d play chess. Not some electronic baby pacifier *ooh look at de pwetty grafiks*

5. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

@Deacon.

Spot on. ‘More of a hardcore gamer’ as she puts it, will feel exactly that way. Fuck Kinect. Fuck it in the eye. It’s a barrier to intuitive gameplay, not a facilitator.

6. Da Man

Not with videogames like Ass Creed in their portfolio should one go on about controls…

That one could be playable with your rear end.

7. xxJPRACERxx

Agree 100% with you Deacon.