Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition releases on Mac, iOS, PC September 18

Thursday, 26th July 2012 20:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The countdown clock on the Baldur’s Gate website has ended, announcing that the Enhanced Edition will be released on September 18 for Mac and iOS.

The Android version release date is still TBD.

It will come with a new character called Neera, who is a half-elf wild mage just discovering her potential for magic. The character will be part of a new “engaging romantic adventure” in a new area which will provide up to four hours of extra gameplay to the original game.

Other new characters include Dorn Il-Khan, and Rasaad yn Bashir; while a new adventure called The Black Pits allows you to create a full party and battle through fifteen battles in a bid to escape the Underdark.

Pre-orders for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition are being accepted on the official site for $17.99. Upon release it will run you $19.99 if you don’t pre-order.

1. RaisinBran

Does this expansion include the original game? I can’t find the answer anywhere :(

2. DSB

It’s not an expansion, it’s an enhanced edition of the original game.

3. RaisinBran

Gotcha, thanks! I’ve heard good things about BG, so I’m going to try it out when it releases.

4. Judicas

It’s the original game, plus the original games expansion combined in a new enhanced edition.

5. roadkill

I have the gog.com version so I’m still wondering if/why should I get this..

6. RaisinBran

The graphics looks a bit better in the enhanced edition. I do see it as a questionable purchase for those who already have the game.

7. Talkar

Why? You get updated graphics and mechanics. New classes, and more content. Why wouldn’t you want this? o.O

8. DSB

Plus, you don’t have to patch it yourself.

And you really shouldn’t need another reason to buy Baldurs Gate. This is going to be my third or fourth copy over the years :P

I wonder when it’s coming to Steam. It took them quite a while to bring MDK2 over.

9. bitsnark

Quick question about the release date; the PC/Mac date is down as September 18th, but the iOS version is merely listed as ‘Septemeber’.

You might also want to mention that the iOS version will retail considerably less at $9.99, with the extra characters available as in-app purchases.