Pachter: 3DS XL “not all that compelling,” Vita “too expensive”

Wednesday, 25th July 2012 15:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has told VG247 he’s not especially bullish that Nintendo’s extra large 3DS model, releasing in Europe this weekend, will buoy overall figures.

Speaking with VG247′s Dave Cook, Pachter said he doesn’t believe XL is going to be a saving grace for dedicated handhelds in general.

“The larger [3DS] format is not all that compelling for the consumer,”he said, “and although I think the XL will help sales, I don’t think that the impact will revive weak sales of handhelds overall.”

The analyst added that he’s not confident Vita will bolster handheld sales either, at least until more software’s released.

“Vita’s too expensive for most, priced pretty much the same as the PS3 everywhere. While I think the Vita is a good value and a great device, when compared to the PS3 it’s pretty expensive.

“Also, there is not much of a library of Vita games, so sales will probably be slow until we see more content.”

Nintendo reported today that 3DS has sold 19 million to date, with 52.81 million games sold since the handheld released last spring.

Sony will report the latest Vita sales figures in its Q1 FY12 financial report on August 2.

3DS XL releases in Europe on Saturday, in Japan on Sunday and in the US on August 19.

1. ManuOtaku

Pachter needs a patch ASAP that improves IP ( intelligent predictions), EG (Educated Guesses) and overall performance, i wonder why the certification is taking so long, we need to do a kickstart to collect the funds, i did heard certification is quite expensive, albeit worth it in this particular case.

2. Kabby

He is basically ‘The Weather Man’ of the console industry. Everything he says is vague enough to be correct and incorrect at the same time.

We expect it to be bright and sunny, with the chance of cloud, occasional showers and a cold breeze in some areas.

3. Da Man

Pachter would fit into current vg247 posters community perfectly.

4. deathgaze

The 3DS XL isn’t compelling because the whole platform is not yet compelling.

5. Gheritt White

It’s bloody compelling to *me*!

6. SuperGuyverUSA

Let’s keep in mind, this is just one man’s opinion. I chose to get the Vita over the 3DS and I’m happy with my choice, but I’m thinking that I’m going to get a 3DS XL when I get the money. I could go on to say that Vita doesn’t need a price drop, but I believe I said that before in past articles.

7. manamana

He loves to give interviews and bold statements, doesn’t he? Still, his guesses are as good as from any involved gamer. Thing that puzzles me is: most gaming sites are writing about his bullshit.

8. Sini

I don’t think he is stupid, he is a genius who figured out how to get payed even though he is wrong 9 out of 10 times, other being the obvious stuff like cod outselling battlefield.
    The people who pay him on the other hand is another matter.

9. Dannybuoy

Vitas are going for nothing on eBay at the moment. Selling mine right now. Paid £250 at Chinese launch. Lucky to get £130 with cards and a few games. That’s pretty cheap I’d say!

10. Goffee

A Kickstarter to invent a silencer (or just get a Hitman, now there’s a bonus level to be made) for Pachter would be a great idea. He is only paid to report on gaming company financials to clients, all this blabbermouth crap is just to raise his profile (and annoy everyone else).

11. stealth

Hes best ignored……….

Last months sales estimates he gave for 3ds were over 50k lower, than the actual figures.

He hates nintendo

he doesnt know them

and hes giving a dumb opinion

” I don’t think that the impact will revive weak sales of handhelds overall.””

3ds is number 1 in the world

and in reality, consoles worldwide are doing even weaker right now

12. stealth

also wasnt vita suppose to outsell 3ds pachter?

flip flopping hypocrite