More next-generation hardware hints at Microsoft

Wednesday, 25th July 2012 01:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Obviously platform holders are working on new tech all the time, and especially at this end of a generation, but in case you wanted some more vaguely-worded descriptions of the next Xbox console, OXM UK has a round up of some recent Microsoft job listings which include just that. The ads make mention of the Kinect’s New User Interface, 3D imaging, and “cutting edge” hardware. There you go.

1. xxJPRACERxx

I’m not sure MS know what “cutting edge” is.

2. Phoenixblight

Seeing as they are the developers of most of the software that GPU manufacturers utilize(DirectX) I think they have a pretty good idea.

3. xxJPRACERxx

I was more talking about hardware here. And since MS stopped caring about PC, DirectX updates haven’t been that great. And I know most devs would abandon it if they had the option, option which might be coming from AMD…

On the 360, 1st gen games were using standard DX calls but now the majority try to bypass DX as much as possible and use custom direct call to the hardware. Of course this is difficult/impossible to do with PC because of Windows.

Having programmed with both DX9 (never try DX11) and OpenGL I think OGL is much better. It’s clear that the people who implemented it were graphic professionals rather than ordinary programmers trying to do graphics stuff.

The only reason DX is so popular is because there’s no real other choice that work on both PC and 360. I’ll be happy when DX die, or receive a complete re-write which will never happen.

4. Phoenixblight

They still control on what goes on in the majority seeing as most developers use Windows to Develop their games. Microsoft also gets in contact with leading publishers and developers to see what their system needs to do for them to utilize it. Just like MS dropping an extra bill on the 360 so that it would have more Ram because of EPic telling them they need it for Unreal 3. SOmething that Sony and Nintendo both seem to ignore when developing their hardware making their systems that much harder to develop for.

5. xxJPRACERxx

I agree with you. They listen more about what the devs want, which is always a good thing. My initial post was more a laugh about “cutting edge hardware”.

The 1st day the next Xbox will be out it will be already dated compared to really, cutting-edge PC.

6. MidlifeAxe

@5 I think regardless of the specs of the new gen consoles, it will always be dated compared to PCs, even at launch.