Tue, Jul 24, 2012 | 22:17 BST
MercurySteam reiterates intent to pass the Castlevania torch after Lords of Shadow 2
MercurySteam producer David Cox has reiterated that the firm plans for Lords of Shadow 2 to go out with a bang, as it has no plans to develop other games in the series once the trilogy ends.
“Our intention is to tell our story and then move on to other things,” Cox told Game Informer. “We have a very interesting tale to tell – a story about Dracula. Our intention was to tackle the story from his perspective and give players an angle on his viewpoint.
“We have no intention of milking the series any further than that. I believe that any story worth telling should have a satisfying ending. This one has exactly that, and once its told I hope our audience will enjoy the saga as a unique and interesting take on the Castlevania mythology.”
Cox previously told VG247 MercurySteam didn’t want to be known as “the Castlevania team,” as there are other “projects and other ideas,” it wants to work on.
“We’ve always felt that when we were given the Castlevania torch, so to speak, that it was never ours to keep,” he said during E3. “Luckily we got the chance to do our thing, but we were surprised by the success of our game and weren’t sure that we were going to get the chance to do another one.
“That’s why there’s the epilogue in the first. However, now that we’ve got the chance to finish the story we really want to do it justice and do something really special.”
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 2 releases next year.