inXile releases first screenshot of Wasteland 2

Saturday, 21st July 2012 14:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

inXile’s Brian Fargo has updated the firm’s Kickstarter page with the first screenshot of Wasteland 2.

The shot was taken running inside the Unity engine, and it’s a rather early look as Fargo said the team has been “getting up to speed with Unity,” and discussing how the game is going to look and feel.

“Releasing a screen shot this early in the process is a new concept for me as we typically want to hone in every element before we show it,” said Fargo. “But based on the requests and our desire for fan input, we are doing so to solicit feedback on the basic look.

“Please keep in mind that we have not put in the particle effects and post-processing which will have a dramatic effect on the scene, and this represents just one of the various environments for Wasteland 2 so expect to see other quite different locales. Also, this particular camera angle is on the low end of a range that the player can adjust upwards to a much more top-down view, for those who prefer that style during game play.”

Wasteland 2′s Kickstarter campaign raised almost $3 million. The teams was asking $900,000. The game is expected next year on PC in October.

1. LuLshuck

WOW looks nice

2. The_Red

Could this be the real Fallout 3 that we never got? Yes, I know Wasteland predates Fallout games AND the cancelled Fallout 3 was being made by a mostly different team than F1 or 2 but still, this could be the sequel that Fallout 2 deserves and not the F3 that Bethesda released (New Vegas was good though. Not F1 or 2 good though).

3. Erthazus

@2, Fallout:New Vegas is basically Fallout 3.
    but yeah, i do agree. this will be Fallout 3 in it’s true form.

4. Ercarret

It’s expected in October 2013.

I quite like the look they’re going for. That screenshot makes me happy.

5. Phoenixblight

Looks pretty good just needs to put an actual shader in instead of using Unity’s generic shader. THe lighting looks blah because of that.

6. alterecho

I hated Fallout 3 in the beginning, looking at the trailers, and thought its V.A.T.S implementation was a gimmick and all and they were going to ruin Fallout with its FPS implementation. But after i played it and stepped out into the wasteland, it consumed me into it. It was such an involving game in its own right. If you don’t think about f1 and f2′s style, You’ll start to like f3.

7. Edo

Aren’t these the same guys that made that abomination that is Hunted:The Demon’s Forge?

8. Phoenixblight

Yep.

9. The Last Nomad

I thought Fallout 3 fit prefectly with the first 2. sure it was different but it was an evolution in a great direction. I wouldn’t have wanted another Fallout 1/2 style game in place of it.

This does look pretty good however, from what little is here it looks alot more like the Fallout games than the original Wasteland, which is very good because it was awful in my opinion. I hope its original though and not just a nicer looking version of Fallout 1/2

10. GwynbleiddiuM

This, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun, gonna make a lot of happy moments.

11. brotherhoodofthewolf

looks too colourful/saturated for me. needs to be grittier/darker.

12. Kabby

I agree with the above.

13. Phoenixblight

@12 and 13

Thats because they are using out of the box shader of unity once they put their own shader in(hopefully) it should look better assuming they know how to make one.

14. DSB

@2 New Vegas was largely based on the design document for Van Buren, which was supposed to be the original Fallout 3 by Black Isle Studios.

(Bethesdas) Fallout 3 was a parody on everything the original games stood for, but aside from the game being broken, I think Obsidian got a lot closer with New Vegas.

It seems to me like he mostly acted as a producer on the original Fallouts. He’s not exactly Tim Cain.

It might end up as a decent sequel to Wasteland, but I don’t think it’s going to tie into Fallout.

15. battery

Wow it seems very great.