Rumour: Final Fantasy Versus XIII canned after six years dev

Friday, 20th July 2012 09:23 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Kotaku’s rumouring that Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been cancelled after six years of production.

The site has heard from “several sources” that the RPG has been cancelled, with one saying the decision was made on the project in the recent weeks.

The suggestion is that there isn’t to be an official announcement in an effort to protect Square’s share price, but that the game will rather just fade away.

The game’s resources have apparently been folded into another game, reportedly the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV.

It was reported this morning that Square’s readying to make FFXIII announcements on September 1.

Fade away

The development of Final Fantasy Versus XIII is legendary for all the wrong reasons. Square announced the title more than six years ago as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga.

In recent months, dev lead Tetusya Nomura had clearly grown increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress with the game. He promised in January that a new real-time demo was to be shown, but then added in March that “totally unrelated” circumstances were stopping more details being released.

Versus XIII only entered full production towards the end of last year.

The last moving footage was reported on was in late 2010.

1. locus2k1

In the words of Comic Book Guy:

“There is no emoticon to express what I am feeling right now”

2. Patrick Garratt

That’s pretty epic, yeah.

3. Hunam

I’ve killed for lesser insults than this.

4. Johnny Cullen

It’s not canned. TGS showing’s been planned apparently from what’s been mentioned. – http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40064380#post40064380

5. Patrick Garratt

Deader than a continent full of dodos.

6. Sini

The gameplay trailer was pretty bad, but the earlier one with that shark in the trailer will never be forgotten, neither will the opera music.

7. Dark

:’(

8. Takeshi

I would’ve have shrugged at this a few years ago. But since getting a PS3 I’ve been increasingly looking forward to new information about this title. It’s kind of sad if it’s true, but also reliving to see them cancel it if it’s not going anywhere.

I hope we’ll get some kind of clarification from Tetsuya Nomura like Kojima on Rising.

What exactly went wrong?

9. Ireland Michael

Yeah, I’m not believing this for a second without a confirmation.

At most, I expect a name change.

10. Patrick Garratt

We’ll see, but my instant reaction is that it’s obviously true. They’ve said openly that they can’t have another product like FFXIII, so unless they were planning on doing something really radical I can’t see why they’d even consider making the investment. They’re pushing into next gen and Versus never really got off the ground. It makes sense they’d drop it, given they barely even bothered with it at all. They’ll have to make a confirmation one way or the other soon, I guess, but I seriously doubt Brian would be writing this stuff unless he was solid. I wouldn’t.

11. Hunam

If they just rename it FF15, then great, that’s amazing. If they can it I’m just washing my hands of FF and give up on Japan entirely (outside of Atlus, who love me and I them)

12. The_Red

While I think there is a strong possibility that FFv13 is indeed dead, your idea sounds really plausible. FF15 or something.

13. SplatteredHouse

:( That sucks.

14. Dragon246

Ok , if its true then FUCK YOU SE!!!!
    Sony should sue them off their pants so that they wont do something like this again.
    Also if they want a story for ff15, contact me. Heres a prologue-
    In a world where live by playing games, a demon called sqaraga destroys peoples lives by closing down the biggest game they announced. So Dragon and his friends start a epic journey to defeat the demon and make world a better place.

15. Night Hunter

Come on, who didn’t see something like this coming. The games development process was a trainwreck from day 1.

16. GenericShooterSoldier

I have too been hearing that they are preparing to announce FFXV for current gen apparently being made by Hiroyuki Ito, the same guy who made FF6,9,12. So thats good news, but this is a real shame.

17. Clupula

If this is true, then it is an absolute fucking outrage and I hope the shareholders throw the biggest fit possible at the next meeting. Squeenix has been in a state of disarray ever since Sakaguchi stepped down and if this is true, then those responsible deserve to be purged from their jobs.

18. Erthazus

That is actually huge. So basically my PS3 purchase was not justified.

Tetsuya Nomura officially sucks cock.

19. Fin

Bro, if you buy a console for a game that’s not been released, you might be dumbass.

20. Erthazus

@19, nope. I actually bought a console for gameS that were released, but i wanted this one too.

21. Fin

Cool I’ll change it so:

Bro, if your entire console purchase isn’t justified because one game isn’t coming out, you might be a dumbass.

22. Erthazus

@21, Sorry, it’s not my fault that dumbasses from Square Enix/Sony can’t do their shit right.

23. DrDamn

I think the word “might” is a bit out of place in the whole thing too ;)

24. marijnlems

If this is true, and THEN they officially announce they’re working on FFXIII-freaking-3, THEN I’ll lose all faith in mankind. But not a minute before!

25. Clupula

@18 – if this is true, I don’t think it would be Nomura who is to blame, as he put several years of his life into this, but Wada, who has shown, time and time again, that he has no fucking clue what to do with the company.

26. Erthazus

But than again, i think all these rumors are fake. Song “Somnus” was released for Theatrhythm in NA Last Week.

So how it can be dead? Just how the F this thing can be dead?

27. Deacon

I’m a huge SQenix fan, but I don’t really feel anything by this. It really is no biggie.

So they roll all of the assets into the next big iteration. No great loss there. I wasn’t overly excited about the battle system of Versus anyway so this may well turn out to be really great news in disguise.

I still love you SQenix <3

28. DarkElfa

Since when are companies allowed to lie to their investors in order to save money? Don’t they have to tell them these kinds of things?

29. Phoenixblight

Nope because they never said an official date for release. Its not lying.

30. shogoz

All your tears as well as mine are going to be used as lubricant tonight while I masturbate over this news

31. aseddon130

So it should be, Both FF13 games were probably the worst reviewed games from the whole series? I bet FF13-2 did especially badly hence why they put the bullet into this one.

Makes sense, start work on FF15 for new consoles and revolutionise the FF series, because it needs it.

32. Voight

well, it isn’t that hard to believe, since we’ve got a statement from someone in Japanese Squenix earlier on the fact that they’re not getting themselves into anything big at the moment, so there you go.

33. Mystic Sage

I will flip my freakin lid if they cancel this. This is what XIII and XIII-2 should have been.

34. Ireland Michael

“This game we’ve been barely any gameplay footage of and a handful of generic, emo cutscenes from is the game that FFXIII should have been! Square Enix has let us down constantly this generation… but this title, which is barely out of the alpha stages, will be different! Just you wait and see!”

35. a7md1990

FUCK THEM AND THE HORSE THEY RODE IN ON!.

36. hitnrun

I guess this is the next logical step in Squaresoft’s operational trajectory toward metastatic project bloat and increasing development schedules: games that are too big and too polished and too loaded with fluff to ever actually be feasibly finished.

When they said they couldn’t produce an HD remake of FFVII – something a classroom of second-world school kids could do in their basements – because it would take 13 years, I laughed because it was true.

37. Malmer

This is funny. It’s like clockwork. I’m reading a fairly reasonable thread of comments. Then there is an angry, trolling, comment. I move my eyes to check the name of who wrote it, and every time it is the same. :)

38. shogoz

Where’s the “like” button? I wanna “like” Malmers comment!

39. Henry

FFV13 has already accomplished its mission: help the sales of PS3 where there was no game on it.

It sold you a fantasy. But that fantasy would cost too much to become real.

40. Puggy

Lets just hope they do not put too much “revolution” into the next FF. I mean nowadays that word usually means we take a game with a somewhat solid gameplay and totally change it, usually into an ego perspective shooter.

And whats with all the no world map idea in FF lately anyway? I actually liked that…

41. Yosemite

Best comment for Malmers!!

42. redsn00w

finally it’s true this notice? I’m scary, SE… bad boy… don’t play with the people guys.

D=

#42 1 year ago
  43. YoungZer0

Did you resurrect someone from the dead?

#43 1 year ago