Minecraft 360 sells 3 million, generates $60 million in sales

Friday, 20th July 2012 13:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Markus Persson has announced the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft has generated $60 million in sales since May. Developed by 4J Studios, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition quickly broke reconrd on XBLA by moving 400,000 copies its first day on sale. In less than a week, it hit one million in sales. The latest update to the game was released last week.

1. Ercarret

3 million copies? :O Wow, that’s impressive. I never imagined that it was that popular on XBL.

2. Patrick Garratt

Mental.

3. ManuOtaku

Its good to see both sides of the spectrum, i mean with the yesterday topic about FEZ and now this, how we can analyze both, that are such a different picture of the same issue, also it will be good to see how much influence the PC success of this game translated to the 360 success, and if it will had the same success on the 360 without the PC success, nice things to analyze for sure.
    p.s by the way iam part of that 3 million, i like this game a lot, and clearly deserves all the recognition is getting on all platforms.

4. Gadzooks!

Impossible! OG says that this kind of success is only possible on Steam!

Gotta say though, that I’ve been enjoying the tar out of MCXBLA. In my beautiful lofty tower I can be the princess I always dreamed of.

Prince. I said prince.

5. Gadzooks!

#3

I think its fair to say that the buzz around Minecraft came from the PC version.

There were several MC clones on XBLIG but I dont think they were hugely successful, even though some of them offer as much as MC.

6. aseddon130

This ‘game’ being so big really baffles the mind, you get gems like Fez that make nothing compared to this and this POS makes millions.

It baffles the mind.

7. Cobra951

@3, very diplomatic of you. When I said the good ones were making a lot of money despite the hurdles, this is what I meant. Castle Crashers is another similar success story on the platform.

8. OlderGamer

Gad, I never said it doesn’t happen. It just doesn’t happen all of the time. 3Million is great. I bet in the end it doubles that. Or gets close. It is a great game. I wonder what the PC sales look like?

9. Ireland Michael

@9 About six million at last count.

10. OlderGamer