Borderlands 2 has a 58-hour campaign, says Gearbox

Thursday, 19th July 2012 08:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Don’t think you’re going to be rattling through Borderlands 2 in five minutes. The shooter sequel’s going to last nearly 60 hours on a single play-through, if Gearbox comments are to be believed.

“What we like to think about it is, Borderlands is a hobby. Some guide guys just did a playthrough of Borderlands 2 and they reported back to us that it takes 58 hours to play through the campaign – and that’s just one playthrough with one character,” Gearbox marketing VP Steve Gibson told Gamerzines.

“We look at it as a hobby, and that isn’t even counting the new Badass Points system and how that’ll affect every character you do. We want it to feel like you get more for your money. We’re happy for people to pay their money once and feel that they get ongoing value.”

Borderlands 2, which features four new characters and many new features of the shooter-RPG original, is emerging as one of the most anticipated games of 2012. It releases on September 18 in the US and September 21 in Europe.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. Edo

So not 59 hours or 57,but 58?Ok then…

2. Patrick Garratt

58 goddamn hours. If it’s an hour more or less I’m taking it back to the shop.

3. Edo

@2 :D .

4. Hcw87

I spent over 40 hours on my first Diablo 3 playthrough aswell, so it could be a little misleading. Hopefully it’s got more content than the first though, and it’ll be all good.

5. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t care how long it is, I only care about gaming quality density these days, so that in order to keep that density of experience high, a short game is just fine with me.

I guess that as a gaming addict I need a higher dose these days. :-)

6. Dragon246

Oh shit, if it was 40 hours or less, could have finished it one playthrough.

Did they add a good storyline this time around to augment the gameplay and graphics?

7. Da Man

Borderlands had a campaign?

8. Erthazus

@Hcw87

40 hours on the first Diablo III playthrough?
    Trolololol what?

I guess you turned off running ability XD

9. Anders

Really pumped for this. Looks like the gameplay improvements will go a long way, but I’m hoping that they have managed to write a compelling story this time around as well.

10. Phoenixblight

I had spent around 80 hours on my first playthrough of Borderlands even if its 40-50 hours. I think it will be worth it especially with the many playthroughs I plan on playing.