BF4: beta access without MoH, no “abandoning” BF3

Wednesday, 18th July 2012 11:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

BF3 community manager Ian Tornay has written a post on Reddit confirming pre-ordering Medal of Honor: Warfighter won’t be the only route into the Battlefield 4 beta, quelling concerns over Battlefield 3 support and more.

“There will be other ways to get into the beta aside from MoH Warfighter,” he said. “At this time, however, it is the only way to guarantee entry.”

Battlefield 4 was announced yesterday, when it was confirmed that a Warfighter pre-order would allow access to the shooter’s multiplayer test.

Tornay also moved to again assure that Battlefield 3 isn’t going to be dropped as a result of the upcoming release of Battlefield 4, which was announced yesterday.

“DICE and EA are dedicated to continuing our support for Battlefield 3,” he said. “Just as we’ve continued to support and maintain Bad Company 2, we intend to continue providing the best Battlefield 3 experience we can well into the future and past the release of End Game and Battlefield 4.

“There are several teams at DICE. Starting work on Battlefield 4 does not mean that we will be abandoning Battlefield 3 or working any less hard to bring you the best expansions we can.”

The EA man attempted to stifle discomfort at the timing of the release: “We’ve been seeing a lot of concerns about the pacing of release (i.e. ‘only’ two years after BF3). I think it’s worth noting that DICE has released a Battlefield game every two years or sooner and Mirror’s Edge at least every two years.

“I truly believe that we’re in one of the best positions to be creating our next title – Frostbite 2 has matured, we’ve been gathering fan feedback like crazy, Battlefield 3 continues to expand with features which we can learn from, and we’ve got more data about how people play than ever.”

Tornay added that DICE is listening to fan feedback on Battlefield 3 and is expected to act on the several major issues for Battlefield 4.

Notables include a better VOIP solution; a Battle Recorder; a Spectator Mode’ and more robust eSports support.

1. Maximum Payne

I am not usually a skeptic person, but when they start to talking about next ”major” sequel and first thing they mention is something that should have been fixed with patch then things are not looking very great….

2. RoyBrown

Actually, Max Payne, your being a huge skeptic. I think your missing the broader picture here

What Dice is going for is a set up similar to Dota 2 or LOL.

SC2 is also going to try and go down that path. Or they are going to fall behind massively

Yes they could be patched in but they would be fucking huge updates.

Paid DLC would actually be appropriate.

In game spectating, in game esports tournaments and watchable replays with huge levels of stats for you to compare yourself to others is where esports and multiplayer is going.

Wouldnt shock me if games soon have subscriptions in game for tournaments.

For example.

SC2 should have subs that I can pay for so I get access to Gomtv.net streams without having to leave the game.

If Dice could implement such features I would just about shit my pants and cum at the same time for BF4.

Not piss and moan about how we should get a free patch for a 3-4gb update that has take months of resources and millions of dollars for the devs to create.

3. GrimRita

Great that he has confirmed this. His next tweet/post should say ‘It wont require Origin to play’ then I am back playing Battlefield.

4. G1GAHURTZ

I think it’s silly that people think that 2 years is too soon for a new version of a franchise.

The only game I ever played for two whole years was CoD4, and by the end of that, I was really keen for MW2.

5. Patrick Garratt

I think people tend to forget just how many products DICE puts out. I was shocked when I did a bit of research around our visit there last year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Digital_Illusions_CE

6. Fin

Err, this is by the most interesting bit of that:

“Mirror’s Edge at least every two years”

Eh?

Also, new Battlefield is good news. Fuck people complaining.

7. Patrick Garratt

@3 Did you really stop playing it because of Origin?

8. Talkar

He is just on the “Hate everything EA does” train ;)

9. Patrick Garratt

Ah :)

10. AHA-Lambda

I don’t have a problem with a new BF release so soon, I have a problem with it being BF4.

11. Fin

Why? Why does a number matter?

12. ManuOtaku

I just prefer if they did release bad company 3 prior battlefield 4, i know is a personal preference, but as much as good battlefield 3 is, i do prefer the bad company series now the most, and i cannot wait for the third installentment, i hope the destruction is not tone down like in battlefield 3, with the exception of close quarters of course.

13. Sam Clay

It’s pretty much certain that all Battlefield Premium users will get BETA access.

14. GrimRita

@7 Yes I did. I dont see why I needed to install Origin to play BF considered how they pulled games from Steam for the sake of it, to promote their own useless store.

@8 And why not? because right now, everything they are doing is bollocks. One day they slate Steam for huge discounts, the next, they do the same thing.

I am also sure that I am not the only one who didnt buy it because of Origin. I dont see the point of it as it wont/doesnt benefit me as a gamer – offers no community functions like Steam and honestly, life without Battlefield isnt difficult – although it was at the start! lol

15. Talkar

First off it was Valve who kicked the EA games such as Crysis 2 off of Steam, not EA who pulled them. EA said that, and Valve has remained silent to this very day. Don’t know why EA is still getting shit for that. It was a mistake to require the use of Origin for BF3, i’ll agree with you there, but at the same time i also think it is a mistake to be forced to use Steam to play Portal 2, or Civ 5, i’m just against DRM in general ;)
    Last but not least, EA is trying to become less of an evil company in a lot of ways (there are still plenty of ways where they are not), such as not requiring you to use Origin to launch a game you purchased there (with only BF3 and ME3 as the exceptions i think). Hell if i purchased SWTOR through the Origin client i don’t even need to have the client installed to download and play it. I can, but i don’t have to. Yes Steam is better in most ways compared to Origin, but Origin does also do some things a lot better than Steam, the difference is how many things are they doing better? At this point of time, not a lot. But i reckon that 1-2 years from now the Origin client will be a serious competitor to Steam. And to return to the original topic, as i got a bit offtopic :P There is nothing wrong with EA trying to make a sequel 2 years after its predecessor. If they keep supporting BF3 as it has been stated, but they can make a better game at the same time, why not do it?

16. Maximum Payne

@2 There is big difference.DOTA will be f2p , and Starcraft 2 was released like 10 years after first one ?
    Ussually Dice released Battlefield games with different eras but now lot of people including my self don’t believe that this will be anything different then modern time again.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

the leak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw7iVr5rWQE&feature=player_embedded

18. Patrick Garratt

That leak video’s awesome.

19. ThisIsNotMyID

Why can’t they have the beta like in bf3 where they gave it to everyone instead of this premium, mohw or pre-order stuff.

#19 11 months ago