Borderlands 2′s Ellie opposes female gaming stereotype

Tuesday, 17th July 2012 04:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The tough-as-nails Ellie is Gearbox’s attempt to include a female character who goes against the usual tropes of video game design.

Ellie, daughter of Moxxi and sister to Scooter, introduces the Bandit Technical vehicle. In a written response to PC Gamer, Gearbox staff said her unusual design is very much intended.

“The narrative goal with Ellie was to have a character who hits all of the tick marks of a good Borderlands character (funny, unexpected, looks as if they could probably kill you in thirteen different ways if you got on their bad side), while also making an independent female character who looked the exact opposite of how most females tend to be represented in games,” the developer said.

“We also wanted to make sure that, through her dialog and visual design, we never cast her in a light where the player is encouraged to pity, laugh at, or mock her because she doesn’t look like Jessica Rabbit.”

Gearbox ran through several designs before hitting on Ellie’s current incarnation, including a very short mechanic, a two-headed effort, and a purely muscular version which felt “too abrasive and bandit-y”. Choosing a softer outline helped cement Ellie’s unique “silhouette and style” but also offered unlooked for challenges in animation and stance; hit the link above for more details and some work-in-progress images.

“She does straight-up murder a dude in a really gory way less than ten seconds after you meet her,” Gearbox said of the character. Nice.

Borderlands 2 releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in September.

1. alterecho

Now thats a welcome change from the usual representations. Looks to be an extremely fun character.

2. Sini

preorder cancelled.

3. TheWulf

I’m on board with this.

I speak with a lot of people, largely because I’m mildly tumblr famous (no, I don’t understand why people listen to what I have to say either), and what I’ve found is the overriding opinion is that people are tired of sexualised characters. No, not just women! There are smart men out there, too. Imagine that. That’s actually a possibility that exists within our little Universe.

And you know exactly who I’m talking about when I say this. I’m pointing at Marcus Fenix and sighing. The man has no feelings to speak of, no understanding of ethical dilemmas, and he’s basically what the Marvel Universe would consider a Life-Model Decoy. The ‘man’ (if I can loosely call him that) is a robot made out of flesh whose sole job is to convey mindless violence to the viewer.

And that’s only a minor irritation for male gamers at best, but I use Marcus to put things into perspective. Whilst we only have a minor irritation to deal with, it’s infinitely worse for women. It would be as if every male character were Marcus.

No Mordin Solus or Joker for us! No Alan Wake! No Arcade Gannon! No Adam Jensen! No Kharjo! No inspiring examples for us. MARCUS FENIX. MARCUS FENIX EVERYWHERE.

And many developers do actively try to make things worse for women, even if they don’t do so wittingly. There’s a subtle reasoning behind why they don’t understand what people actually want, and you may wonder what this is. The truth is obvious. They never ask us. Triple-A devs are so completely detached from the world that they can’t even begin to understand what we want any more.

“Let’s make Lara Croft a game about a girl who needs to be protected by a strong father figure – the player. That’s brilliant, philosophical, and deep right? And let’s have the father figure protect our little girl from ebil things, like rape and so on. This is what our players want, isn’t it?”

Complete detachment.

If any of these people actually stepped outside of their shoeboxes and talked to people (as some indie developers do) instead of sitting in the corner and cowering in fear, then they might actually find these troves of smart, intelligent, clever, and simply beautiful people who’d likely help them find their way, their direction. A good direction.

Some developers do this. Runic Games does. They’re often on their forums and chatting it up with their players, as though their player-base were friends.

I mean, could you imagine that? MY GOSH! WHAT AM I SAYING? DEVELOPERS ACTUALLY NOT COWERING IN CORNERS AND TREATING PEOPLE LIKE HUMAN BEINGS? I MUST HAVE SIDE-STEPPED INTO SOME BIZARRO DIMENSION. And yet it’s true. They help people out with modding, and they even write articles about the mods they like for their own game. They tell people that certain mods have inspired them.

Could you imagine how amazing it would be if Bethesda did that?

I’m going to segue away from Runic though for a paragraph or two with the full intent of ending with them as an example. So do stick with me. Hopefully it’ll all be worth it when I wrap this up, because the ultimate point of this post is that not every game designer in the industry is so shut-in and detached. No, not every one of them. Just most of them.

Do you know why the charr from Guild Wars 2 have so many fans, and why that’s only growing over time?

Both genders of the charr wear the same armour, and if you were to even suggest to a nice charr lady that she should wear skimpy armour so that you might appreciate her assets, you’d then find yourself hit over the head with a sack of bees. And rightly so! True gender equality exists between the charr, the lines are massively blurred.

And the charr don’t have big, obvious boobs. The designer came up with the ‘six or none’ rule. Essentially – charr only have breasts if they’re lactating, then they have six teats, but otherwise they have no visible breasts at all. Just like a cat.

The end result of this?

They’ve had to explore masculinity and femininity in other ways rather than ‘boobs = woman, no boobs = man’ and that’s had some fairly intriguing and compelling results. What I will say to you right now, if you’re still even reading, is that every time you define genders by boobs you’re ruining a transgender person’s day. And I know, because I have a few friends who sit under that umbrella too.

What you’ll also have to realise is that many women out there, and indeed, a smart contingent of men actively look at gamers in the way that gamers look at the perviest furries out there, but most of them will be more okay with furries than gamers. Why?

Gamers, by and large, can be misogynist arseholes.

They don’t care to ask what a woman may want from a character, they assume for her, because they believe that ultimately they must know best. Hello Lara Croft. See? That’s how this sort of thinking comes about, whenever you assume what a woman might want instead of asking her, you’re stepping into the realm of misogyny and you’re being an arsehole.

Many shut-in game designers fall under the umbrella of misogynist arseholes. They don’t bother to ask what women want, they just run with what they think they’d want.

When was the last time you stopped and asked someone else what they wanted from a game, or from their game character?

And therein lies the rub. Many game designers don’t actually bother to actually talk to people and discover what they want. Now, Torchlight had a very sexualised female character – The Vanquisher. And understandably Runic Games did catch a lot of shit by offering that as the only option if one wants to play as a woman in the game. But where most designers would run off and cry in the corner about how evil the world is, what did Runic Games do?

They listened.

This is why I have so much love for certain developers. They don’t assume what people want, they actually try to have as much contact with the more reasonable ends of their community as they can. And what they learn, they act upon, and not by assumption but by actually understanding what people want out of their gaming experience.

As I said, Runic Games were clearly inspired by a lot of mods from Torchlight I, and they said they’d keep certain things in mind for the second game, where people obviously preferred a certain mod’s way of doing things over the original game. And they did! Clearly so I could tell this from the beta.

In the beta, people said that they didn’t like how the skill tree system was designed. So what do those crazy buggers do? They go and redesign the entire thing, this close to launch, and the consensus is that the new system is definitely better. If this had been Blizzard and Diablo, they wouldn’t have given a shit – what was in beta was in the launch for Diablo III. (Including Error 37.)

Now why is this relevant to our current discussion?

I mentioned that Runic Games caught a lot of shit over the Vanquisher. So, what was their recourse? In Torchlight II, the classes are defined by their class, rather than their gender. This is a fabulous approach that I really wish more games would take. It’s fair.

The berserker is a class which wears skimpy clothing. It’s a feral character that uses beast magicks and speedy attacks, so that fits. And both genders actually do have that, so if you want that you can pick that and it won’t be defined by gender.

The engineer is a class which dresses in a truly modest way. There are no randomly exposed bosoms (bosoms which are somehow immune to arrows thanks to the aura of breast magicks or whatnot), instead both genders wear the aforementioned modest clothing, because modest clothing is fitting to the class.

The outlander is an exotic, rough and ready wastelander sort. As such they wear armour that looks very patched together, often leather. And there’s armour equality present for both genders.

The embermage is a magic-user, a very posh one with a sense of flair. As such, they wear colourful pseudo-Victorian clothing. And upon switching between the bloke and lady on offer, you’re not suddenly presented with cleavage.

So there’s a lot of equality there.

Even better is how the engineer is presented as a butch character for both genders, so if your choice is that you’d like a very butch looking character in moderate gear, that choice is there for you. And that’s what it’s all about, choices.

Despite having limited resources for customisation, still being an indie team, Runic Games have offered more in the way of options than most other developers have. And this is what people want. No one is going to begrudge you for liking breasts, no one is going to hate you for wanting cleavage, but what must be understood is that there should be equal representation.

What Runic Games shot for with Torchlight II is making sure that equal representation exists. That skimpy armour set that looks like it’s made out of belts? It has a version which is equally skimpy on both genders. If you have an armour set that’s modest, you have that available for both genders.

Not everyone wants you looking and fapping at their character’s polygonal cleavage. To some gamers this concept is unsettling, and it’s unfair that women tend to often be portrayed as curvacious sex objects, with plenty of cleavage and skin on offer. This is always a disappointment.

Why is it that more developers can’t be like Runic Games?

And if you don’t believe what I have to say, as is your prerogative, then I invite you to watch this video which I think is a very fair look at the customisation options on offer. Again, they’re independent, so they couldn’t do a lot with it, but what they did do is ensure that equal representation is present.

Now let me show you why this is unsettling to a lot of people who play these games.

Here’s Farkas, a member of the Companions.

Here’s Aela, a member of the Companions.

Farkas has lovely armour. It’s befitting of the Companions as it has these lovely little wolf heads engraved into it. It’s also fitting of the Companions because they throw themselves into situations where they might die at any time. They need good armour in order to protect themselves.

Now, what’s important to keep in mind is that there is a female version of the Companions armour. That’s right.

And yet Aela is standing around in Ancient Nord armour. The poor girl must be chilled to the bone. Unlike her brothers, she doesn’t get to wear warm, strong armour. Oh no. Her armour has to be revealing. There’s side-boob and cleavage on offer there, for those tortured, hopeless, basement dwelling straight male gamers to fap over.

Because that’s what we want, right?

We couldn’t possibly want an intelligent, burly woman in modest armour who’s able to build her own machines (the engineer, TL II). Ohhh no, that’s not what we want at all. What we want is a curvy, sexy woman in the most revealing sort of armour they think they can get away with.

And this lack of equal representation is… exasperating.

To say the least.

All people want is the chance for equal representation. If you’re going to put skimpy armour on a group… then that’s fiiiine. You can do that. But why am I not seeing the bare chests of Vilkas and Farkas? Why am I not seeing their bums strapped tightly into form fitting leather armour? Why can’t I see the outline of their crotch?

I’m not the hugest fan of sexualising that way, but at least that would be fair.

Or if we go the other way, why can’t Aela have armour that would actually provide her with the warmth and protection she’d need out on the field? The armour her brothers wear, even! An armour set which has a female version of present in the game!

But no!

The end result is that it has a negative impact upon the self confidence, image, and esteem of women who play these games. And this is an unfortunate artefact of gaming that leaves me feeling like we’re still in the bloody stone age. Films have gotten better at this than games, so why are games still floundering around and trying to convince every person who plays those games that women are sexual objects to be fapped over?

I brought up Marcus Fenix because he’s an annoying meathead. What if all male characters were like him?

Thankfully they’re not. So why can’t we have more women that deviate from what gaming seems to have been fapping over for decades, now? The charr are a good start, as are the classes in Torchlight, and this lady here isn’t bad either. We need more of this. Not less. To be honest, I would go crazy in a world where everything was Marcus Fenix. I’d stop playing games.

So let’s try and be considerate, here, and actually think of women as something other than a polygonal model you fap at. Which is something I feel that far, far too many gamers are guilty of. And far, far too many game designers.

4. OlderGamer

Wulf, long, long, long story made short(and by long winded me of all people), is that the gaming audiance has matured yet much of the games indurty has not. A Single 25 year old male 10 years ago, is today 35 years old, can easily be married with three kids.

A gamer that was 18 when this current gen started is now 26.

All of us have aged, many of us are in our 30s, 40s, even 50s and beyond. I know a lot of younger gamers won’t understand this, but you keep maturing as you get older. And the industry needs to get a clue that we are getting older. What impresses a 15 year old doesn’t impress a 50year old.

Just that simple.

I would like to see less focus on TnA and ultra gore and more focus on actual gameplay. It is why I enjoy Nintendo games. Gameplay. Pure unadulterated gameplay.

5. roadkill

6. Dragon246

@3,
    Did you really type all those things?

I hope they add a meaningful story this time around. I dont like doing something in games unless given a good reason to do so.

7. Wilczeek

tl;dr anyone?

8. Kabby

Please put a character limit on the comment system Pat.

9. absolutezero

Mildly tumbler famous.

tumbler. Why am I not surprised at all.

10. Da Man

Like I give enough of a sh1t about a rasterized mesh which serves as the collision detection rep. Unless for the lulz ofc.

Nutcases.

11. Mineral4r7s

people might be easily offended by your post. I am a gamer and I treat women like a gentleman. You generalize too my friend.

And there is skimpy armor in Torchlight 2, I found it. *pervy look*

Did you ever play Tera? High Elf Males and Castanic Males wear skimpy stuff too, might just be the right game for you. If you are interested you can check the armor sets here =P

greetings
    my name

12. Custard Ganet

Someone’s got sand in their vagina again.

13. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 I sopped at GW2 references because the man has an obsession that is starting to creep me out. But, he also has a point, woman depicted in video games are usually shallow and for the sex appeal factor. How many “THE BOSS”es we had in video games? That their existence did not depend on sexually appealing factors? Large bazooms and butts that look exceptionally well in an outfit like a tight shorts and stretched bras.

People are still obsessed with those things, I don’t entirely blame them, because let’s face a video game is an ideal world for these kind of things. We see enough realism on a daily basis, video games are to serve as escapism from reality. Sometimes you just wanna go out in a virtual world and do things that you don’t do otherwise, meet characters that are ideal on every level. You find less and less genuine people everyday in real world, and that’s where we all should worry not video games being video games. I swear it, the amount of decency in human beings is deteriorating.

The blame is on us, we made our cultures to be focused on those things, fashion and pop culture, and the effects they have on our lives, on a day-to-day products we use the movies we watch the books we read, in the magz, in tv ads in everything, you’ll find these things are being promoted. It all happened and we stood by.

14. Da Man

How many “THE BOSS”es we had in video games?
    Fortunately.

We really don’t need that much poorly written shemales.

Not to mention the part where she stands with her breasts practically out, going on about srs bsns.

15. GwynbleiddiuM

@Da Man do yourself a favor and just go away. The part she open up her suit is not to show off her sex appeal, you gotta have a brain somewhere, find it and use it. Exact opposite of Eva. And the Boss is no poorly written character.

Does it feel good btw, you’re always here to disagree with someone, eh? Please, please, please take sociopathic nonsense elsewhere.

16. Da Man

GwynbleiddiuM, I apologize for having a decent taste and, ironically a brain as you put it.

By all means, do continue to enjoy Optimus Prime and The Boss.

Funnily enough, Mgs is one of the most sociopathic nonsences ever created. Both that and socially .. unaware ones.

17. silkvg247

I think she’s sexy :p

18. stretch215

Women are (over) sexualized in society as a whole, why would gaming be different? Not that I give a shit. You guys need to be checked for low testosterone . I don’t care how old or “mature” you say you are. EVERY man I know loves tits and ass. Period.

19. OlderGamer

@18, but why assume that only men play games? My wife plays as much as I do, well nearly as much. She often beats the games she plays, and right now is enjoying raiding in WoW on her 85 385GS Druid. She has also been playing Civ V, Diablo III, as well as a few odds and ends here and there.

By saying that sexism is ok in games in games because men are sexist is not only ignoring the problem, but adding to it.

20. stretch215

I get it. My wife is a gamer as well. My thing is: I don’t think a few scantily-clad women denotes sexism. It’s more of a characteristic of a male dominated society. Either way, it’s a women’s issue and, by the logic of (some of) the posters here, women don’t need us to defend them. Right?

21. OrbitMonkey

Meh, it’s the writing that makes the character sexy, not how they look visually. I mean who seriously gets turned on by videogame characters?

22. TheWulf

You are seriously… I don’t know where to begin.

It’s outrage, it’s not defence. Having a position on something doesn’t mean that one is defending anything, it just means that someone happens to have an opinion. But what you’re saying is that a straight man can’t have a positive stance on gay marriage, because that naturally becomes defending the gay man who’s unable to defend himself.

Women are plenty able to defend themselves, and what I’ve said is pretty much what I’ve heard straight from them with my own thoughts on the matter rolled in. This isn’t defence, this is a united front, which is a concept that you may not be familiar with. But because you have such an incredibly chauvinistic outlook, you wouldn’t be able to understand such a thing.

I just… I can’t…

I…

You back up everything that’s wrong with gaming. And opinions shared which are like yours. I can have a stance on something which isn’t defence or white knighting.

IT’S CALLED EMPATHY.

And you’re a bloody piece of work for not realising that.

23. TheWulf

I agree with you completely. Sadly it appears that game designers believe that there are enough people out there who get off on it that they can’t even begin to wrap their heads around thinking another way.

So they think that they need to portray characters in a certain way in order for them to be appealing. And I really don’t like that.

And if they’re right and people do need women to be portrayed in a certain way for them to enjoy the game then… I just give up. I fail at humanity. I fail proudly. :|

24. TheWulf

I’m not going to read any further back. After seeing comment 20 and being filled with dread, I’m terrified that it’ll do terrible things to my blood pressure and ruin my day.

I’ll just leave this to you guys to argue out. Hopefully there’ll be some intellectual worth here, and people who possess enough insight to understand little things like empathy and ethics. You should know plenty about both topics if you have any intention of being even a half decent person, in my opinion.

And my opinions are all about ethics and empathy.

My hatred towards gamers is that I see nothing but a lack of ethics and empathy. So much hate towards people, lifestyles, so much misogyny and chauvinism, and if you even have an opinion which disagrees with misogynists, you’re defending or white knighting.

It just makes me feel sick.

25. xxJPRACERxx

I know tons of women that just don’t care. All female gamers are not ultra-feminist.

26. OrbitMonkey

^ Is that a ton of skinny women, or just a couple of fat ones?

27. GwynbleiddiuM

@26 Doesn’t really matter, opinion is divided. What matter is that some woman find this kind of things empowering, being sexy and revealing and shallow in general has good impact on them, there that think otherwise. So, it doesn’t really matter if they are skinny or fat or ultra hot.

28. OrbitMonkey

^ Ah, I guess the joke didn’t translate. I was making a reference to how many women the guy actually knows y’see?

He said “ton” as in weight? Ahh fuck it :|

29. GwynbleiddiuM

^ Oh, I got it now :D

30. YoungZer0

@18: Oh, go screw yourself. What is it with these man-child’s thinking they are more of a man, because they can’t concentrate on a woman’s face for more than 2 seconds.

I love Tits & Ass as much as the next guy, doesn’t mean i have to see them every second.

And i will never be able to take a female character serious if she dresses like the Saints in Hitman Absolution.

@22: Well said.

31. Gigabomber

Everyone focuses on the looks, but the looks are secondary to building a strong character. Making a more complex female character is always more important than their build because it makes them more human, but building characters like the recent Ninja Gaiden series doesn’t lend itself to be taken seriously.

32. Da Man

Really, #31, secondary?

Looks are what makes you qualified to be considered ;)

Sad. People having massive (and I mean massive) issues attacking toy software because it allegedly doesn’t respect LGBT or both sexes enough by not caring about the minority of customers.

Makes you wonder why these people even ‘play’ videogames..

33. OrbitMonkey

^ Fair point, but what’s simply a toy to you is more like a book to others, y’know? It’s a medium that for some isn’t maturing alongside them, just simple churning out the same old same old they enjoyed as kids, but have outgrown of now.

34. xxJPRACERxx

When a woman spread her legs she can have anything she want, almost. Like it or not but that’s the way it is. All women know this and use it when they need it to.

Also, who read magazines telling women how to please their man or how to look good and be seductive, to attract looks and men? It’s women.

Men like to look at women and the “majority” of women like to be look at and feel sexy.

35. Da Man

Err, I just want to say that I don’t want to be associated with the likes of #34. Esp his first few sentences.

You’re right, #33. But I think they picked a wrong medium then.

36. OrbitMonkey

@34, Lol, ooh you so bitter it’s like reading lemons :-) “They can have anything they want… But they don’t want me!!”

@35, Well the medium is fluid, as more devs look to expand their horizons, you’ll see a wider diversity of consumer catered for.

37. xxJPRACERxx

Males want to fuck females and females want to attract males to get fucked. That’s how nature work. You want to change nature, good luck!

I don’t know in what fantasy world you live in but it’s clearly not in this world.

And BTW, this got nothing to do with being sexist, I’m realist. I think women should be considered equal to men and have the same rights and be free to do anything they want, it’s ok with me. But deep inside, in our genes and DNA, men what to fuck women and vise-versa, there’s no secret there.

38. OrbitMonkey

Why thank you Mr Darwin for clearing that one up!! Though it still has no bearing on how our representative sexes are portrayed in videogames :-)

39. xxJPRACERxx

Characters in video games need to be stylized. Do you think Gears of War would work if the main character was a big fat man or a skinny guy that can’t even lift the gun? Also, for almost all their lives people in Sera have seen war and the horror that goes with it. I think it’s normal that Marcus act like a badass. He is one.

About Lara Croft, do you think a big fat chick would be able to do all the acrobatics? Lara is athletic. Go to a gym and look and the athletic women/trainers. They’re slim with good musculature and the majority have breast implants.

These characters are stylized (exaggerated) and that’s why they’re easily recognizable.

40. Ireland Michael

Surely people see the hypocrisy in this character?

Sexy =//= stupid.

41. OrbitMonkey

@39, Well that’s the point isn’t it? Heavily stylized representations of sexes that have little or no similarity to *real life*.

I’m not one for deep thought but collectively the media are in danger of creating role models that are only achievable with low lighting or Photoshop.

Real people don’t got no airbrush y’know :-)

42. Ireland Michael

@41 No, but the majority of people aren’t that morbidly obese either.

It makes no sense. They’re basically claiming she’s a better character for being fat. That’s basically reserve sexism. She has to be the *exact* opposite of what’s expected to be a good character?

It’s not like she’s going to have much depth to her.

I don’t know about you lot, but I don’t play Borderlands for its character deep or deep storyline.

43. OrbitMonkey

^ Heh, completely missed the point you made there at #40… I blame graphical progress man!! Nobody had these issues in the 8 bit days!!

44. OlderGamer

Orbit, I think there is more to that statement then just a punch line.

I blame better grahpics/sound for the decline of the JRPG, for example. When I played Dragon Warrior on NES, there wasn’t enough graphics power to make the chars culturaly abrasive. Once we got around the PS2 level some chars just started to really rub me the wrong way. I no longer enjoyed that art work. And don’t even get me started on the annoying voice overs.

I know you were kidding, but still.

45. absolutezero

Custer’s Revengeeeeeeeeeeee

46. NocturnalB

@3: “I speak with a lot of people, largely because I’m mildly tumblr famous”

That was as far as i read.

47. stretch215

I just think that if someone writes a fucking EDITORIAL in a comments section it should be about something more important. That energy could gave been spent on something with real life implications, not video GAME sexism. Also @30 dumbest assumption of the day. Where did I say any if this makes you “more of a man”? Your name is quite fitting.

48. stretch215

Soft motherfuckers. :D

49. sh4dow

Meh. Because we all know that there are sooo many obese male leads in games. Or movies, for that matter. Or anywhere, really. (Yes, there are more than females. But when you have 5% obese male leads and 2% female that’s not exactly saying much… aside from the fact that there are many issues where the inequalities are more significant)

And as for that stupid argument of “promoting a healthy body image” – how is anything aside from athletic healthy? Everybody knows one should do exercise regularly and eat properly.

50. monkeygourmet

She looks like she can handle a big tool okay! :D

51. OrbitMonkey

@48, Not as soft as Ellie :-)

@49, Body fascist!!

52. silkvg247

@Wulf: If it makes you feel any better, as one of the few female indie devs out there I won’t be having stereotypical characters (male/female) in ANY of my games. :p

53. Da Man