Acti forced Nintendo to create Wii U Pro Controller with CoD threat: Pachter

Monday, 16th July 2012 15:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has claimed that Wii U’s Pro Controller was only created after Activision threatened to leave Call of Duty off the machine unless it has a traditional input method.

“I think that essentially this is a solution in search of a problem,” Pachter said, speaking at Develop in the UK last week, as reported by Edge.

“I mean, somebody had an idea – ‘let’s make the controller a tablet’ – and there aren’t many games that are going to take advantage of that. Activision never said anything to me, but I know that [for] big games like Call Of Duty they said, ‘No, we’re not putting it on there if you don’t give us a conventional controller’. So they gave in.”

Nintendo confirmed the Pro Controller – a traditional format controller in the model of 360′s pad – at E3 this year.

Pachter went on to say that Wii U as a concept is likely to fail.

“I don’t think they suck – I just think that they really believe that, ‘If we’re still novel, everything we do will work’. This isn’t going to work,” he said.

“Hardcore gamers will buy them; hardcore Nintendo fanboys will buy it. They could put out a piece of cardboard and say that it’ll play Mario and they’ll buy it.”

Wii U releases this year.

1. Specialist89

Activision: “Shame on you innovation!”

2. FabioPal

Pachter went on to say that Wii U as a concept is likely to fail.

I don’t get it… but maybe my English is failing me ;)

3. ManuOtaku

“I don’t think they suck – I just think that they really believe that, ‘If we’re still novel, everything we do will work’. This isn’t going to work,” he said”

soryy but that wasnt the mindset with the DS and Wii an neither with the 3DS, therefore i pretty much doubt it is for the WiiU, they are introducing another style to play games, with upgraded visuals, and an improving online offering, which really denies that way of thinking.

As for the controller i dont think activision did force nintendo, since the wii did had a similar controller, and also keeping in mind that skylinders is selling a lot of money on wii, and on the WiiU with the NFC tech it will problably sell even more and more toys too, if it was something it was more likely a friendly advice than anything else.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Pachter… The worlds first professional games troll.

5. DrDamn

Yeah for a professional analyst the phrase “I don’t think they suck” isn’t really what you should be using in an interview.

I think they clearly needed a cheaper offering as a 2nd/3rd/4th controller as the machine only supports 2 with a screen and it will likely come with a hefty price tag.

6. marijnlems

Used to be that Nintendo could set their own rules – back when Mr Yamauchi ran the company, he would have sooner run the company off a cliff than have his strategy be determined by another publisher. The times, they are a-changing.

7. TMRNetShark

Fuck the WiiU, I’m getting an OUYA! XD

8. Dragon246

Remove the casual gamers and you know who will be the bottom feeders next time.

9. Ireland Michael

I love how casual gamers are treated almost like they’re Jews in a Nazi war camp.

10. absolutezero

“We want to appeal to a wider audience”

TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING

11. Dragon246

@7,
    Dont bother with Ouya as no pub will take a risk on such a platform.
    @9,
    Who is nazi in this case? It seems you are unable to understand english properly. I meant remove that millions of install base and you are left with a core no big than 40 million, which would probably be only good enough for last place.

12. manamana

Oh, the usual Pachter BS, I recon! Nintendo had a pro controller on the Wii (was even bundled with MH 3) and now they have on for the WiiU. Whats CoD got to do with it? And btw. CoD will never reach the sales on a nintendo plattform, as say on the Xbox. Nah, its absolutely normal to go with an alternative controller alongside the tablet.

13. maxroy

Now I think the wording of Activision “Forcing” Nintendo is a bit to aggressive and Patcher being a industry professional he should use more neutral language especially when like it or not his ‘analysis’ could affect stock holders.

But this isn’t the first time Nintendo has catered to a 3rd party, the Pro controllers (classic and circle pad) were designed with one franchise backing them, Monster Hunter (and even Resident Evil for 3DS.) Nintendo isn’t a company of idiots they know some games won’t be able to come across to the gamepad control scheme and they know players might want prefer an alternative. But it also depends on how many buyers of the WiiU pick up the pro to see if developers add the 2nd control set-up.

14. Meta_Dragon

So now Activision tells companies what to do? Hmm, something is wrong with that. Come on, Nintendo. Tell Activision to f*** off. Not like you need CoD on WiiU.

15. gomersoul

my god the wiiU looks weak. Only morons will buy it. good luck finding a gimmick as good as the wii to sell it to grandmas. please announce ps4 before this launches. stop people believing it’s next gen

16. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve just realised that this is the first ever controller to have both thumbsticks in the optimal position for FPSs.

17. Gheritt White

@ GiGA: Yup – they’ve kinda stolen Micosoft’s thunder with this design, although it is missing the touchscreen.

18. Phoenixblight

You think so? I hate the layout. The controller would be difficult to manage with the buttons and dpad well below the thumbsticks.

My hands hurt trying to put the thumbs so far up along with where the bumper and trigger buttons are. They are too close together.

19. Ireland Michael

@18 The Pro controller looks slick for the most part, but the buttons underneath the thumbstick just looks awkward. I hope that D-Pad isn’t complete shit. It feels like forever since we’ve had a decent D-Pad.

I’m interested in holding the GamePad in my hands for the first time just t
    to see how it actually feels. The placement and shape of the triggers look nice, but I can’t help but feel like the buttons on the front are way too far apart. It’s definitely going to feel… different.

20. absolutezero

Theres a MadKatz pad already in the works with the exact same layout as the 360 one if its too uncomfy to use.

21. Phoenixblight

Yep, that’s the plan if I do get one.

22. Clupula

I’m hoping for 360 and PS3 price cuts on the day of the Wii U launch.

23. The_Red

They probably won’t need to do so. Nintendo will probably release Wii U at $350 to $400 which will already make 360 and PS3 the cheaper alternatives. Unless Ninty has a HUGE launch exclusive, I don’t think Sony or MS will be worried.

24. OlderGamer

@9, Mike.

Nail on the head, right there. Pisses me off too, like one game player is some how better then another based what toys he/she plays with. Core gamers = nerdy snobs? lol.

25. The_Red

There’s always been elitism in gaming and not just among “core” ones. PC gamers to console gamers or vise versa. It’s about fear and guilt. PC gamers believe console gamers are the reason they’re games are being dumbed down while core console players feel like casual gamers are the reason behind the dumbening (word!?) of their fave “core” titles.

I don’t think it’s that snobby though. It’s not just about playing different toys. It’s about taste in a form not too unlike movies. Casual movie goers like stuff like Jack & Jill or Twilight. Critics and cinephiles HATE those films and the people that like them. Why? Because they are CRAP. Same can be said for most casual games. Outside Popcap’s Peggle or Plants vs Zombies, pretty much all super popular casual games are horrible.

26. OlderGamer

I wasn’t calling anyone anything, really. Just making lite of us all. We all have games that we each turn our nose up at. The trick is to not put people down or bash them because they enjoy something different then we do. And that was what Mike was saying, just because people(and there are Millions of them) enjoy pick up and play, easy to get into, lite games, doesn’t warrent the rest of us/you throwing evil looks their way.

Casual gamers aren’t somehow second class citizens. they are just gamers that enjoy different kinds of games. No biggie.

27. Gheritt White

I HATE old people. Especially older people who are also gamers.

Just sayin’…

28. OrbitMonkey

OG+1, Too right mate. I’m apparently the only guy in the world who liked Deus Ex: Invisible War and who thinks FF8 pisses over FF7… All because some *core* snobs decided on the forums that these games didn’t make their kewl list…

Fuck your kewl list..

29. Psychotext

@27: Not exactly a spring chicken yourself these days buddy. :D

30. OlderGamer

Nice to see you again PT.

31. HeavyD-Love

No talk of cost? I’m sure it’ll be at least $59.99. Rip. Off.

32. NocturnalB

Deep in the underbelly labs of Nintendo a shameful act was committed as they mated a PS controller with an Xbox controller, giving birth to… the WiisUck controller! *lightning crackle* Dun, dun, dununununununnnnun