No Tanookis harmed in New Super Mario Bros 2 trailer

Friday, 13th July 2012 00:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Remember when PETA made that joke campaign about Mario’s Tanooki suit? That blew over fast, didn’t it. It’s almost as if it’s not worth getting upset about silly things. Instead, why not spend a few moments getting hyped for New Super Mario Bros 2, which looks great, in the trailer through the break?

New Super Mario bros 2 arrives on 3DS on August 17 in Europe and August 19 in the US.

1. Sini

this has call of duty beat as most whored out franchise, at least in cod games you have massive amount of money spend on bombastic set pieces during the campaign.

2. G1GAHURTZ

That has to be the worst looking Mario game I’ve ever seen…

Oh, and @1, you can’t seriously say that about CoD, when FIFA has two releases every single year.

3. polygem

it looks like countless hours of fun.

“at least in cod games you have massive amount of money spend on bombastic set pieces during the campaign”

you know what? why don´t you just spend YOUR money on hollywood movies and leave gaming to the gamers?

i don´t mind massive blockbuster titles. i cannot wait for halo 4 and last of us…but if there wasn´t mario, kirby and link, how freaking boring would gaming be?

that said, as a mario fan, that PETA campaign was alright. it worked. people looked up what happens to the tanooki. have you watched that shit? how they get skinned alive? nintendo wasn´t harmed at all by this campaign, actually they even received some extra media attention. and they said that mario doesn´t wear suits – he transforms- he´s actually a tanooki himself then sometimes ;D
    …it was a brillinat campaign and a great, relaxed reaction from nintendo.
    peta won, nintendo won, i just hope the tanookis will get the mega mushroom too one day and slam through their cages…

by the way: he has the tanooki tail in this trailer and he also TRANSFORMS to the white tanooki if you die 5 times in the same level and want to finish it by slamming through everything. the white avenger tanooki.

4. Lightmanone

Look! Mario in a Wario game. But even though it’s exactly that, I don’t really mind. I am just itching to play this game :D

5. DrDamn

“if there wasn´t mario, kirby and link, how freaking boring would gaming be?”

Wouldn’t that mean the talent which currently works on these titles could work on something else. Something new and different? That’s not exciting?

6. Gheritt White

Doesn’t loook as good as the first NSMB for DS, IMHO.

7. polygem

@5: but those games mostly ARE totally different and unique every time. only the ninty charakters stay the same. that´s what nintendo is so good at! compare zelda spirit tracks and skyward sword, kirby epic yarn and kirby mass attack…90% different gameplaywise. i really don´t get this new ip complaints regarding nintendo.

8. OlderGamer

People have the notion that all Nintendo games play the same way. Least within the same franchises. But they don’t. There are two Kirby games out for Wii(not including the collection that will come out). Kirby: Return to Dreamland and Kirbys Epic Yarn. Both games play dramticly different. In both games your controling a Kirby across a mostly 2D world. But that is where the sameness stops.

Could say the samething for a FPS, your controling a hand holding a gun, running, shooting in a 3D world. In a racing game, your controling a car. So a 2D Mario game, a 2D Kirby, or any other 2D platform game is going to share a certian inherent set of traits.

That doesn’t make them all the same.

And if I was a CoD fan, I would totaly understand this. Or stop throwing stones for fear of someone throwing a stone back that could shatter my own glass house.

Todays game world the most valuable thing you can have is a franchise brand name. Something the public will instantly recongize and identify with. Nintendo has that covered in spades. We all know the names, Zelda, Mario, Laugi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, StarFox, Pokemon, Smash Bros., Metriod, and so on. Big name franchises, big names.

The worst thing nintendo could do is change them into something they aren’t. When I play a Mario game, I would be crushed if it didn’t have Bowser or Peach or any of the other icons that make the game what it is. The same goes for any other of the games I listed. What would a Star Fox game be w/o Fox, Slippy, or McCloud(or w/o arwings(reminds me of the disaster Star Fox Adventure). The games are what they are.

No one says you have to like them. But millions of people do(look at this gens top selling software). So I say leave them alone.

If you can’t see the differences in the actual play mechanics of these games, my guess is is that you don’t play them or prolly wouldn’t like them if you did. And that makes me ask the question, why come to a Nintendo thread in the first place?

I do agree with you a bit Doc, I love new games. But I think the need for new IP aplys to far far more then just Nintendo. And if I can’t have new IP, at least Nintendo gives me new ways to play the old ones so that they are actualy different gameplay experiences. That is something the whole idustry has needs to think about.

I just played(and bought) A vally with no Wind that game is ambitious, inovative and a great deal of fun. It is one a large selection of games that are doing different things and pulling them off … on PC. On a console we just keep getting the same old stuff. I just can’t place too much on Nintendo, mostly because their games do actualy play differently. CoD is a CoD is a CoD. A suspended hand holding a gun, running and shooting. The changes come in the form of stage settings, campaign story, and … not much else. The where you and why your there might change from one CoD to another but each one plays 95% the sameway the last one does and the next one will.

It is just sort of the state of the games industry today, and that is certianly not (Just) a Nintendo thing.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 I totally agree with everything you just said, but even I have to admit that they’re milking this whole New Super Mario formula just a little too much.

10. OlderGamer

Yeah I agree with that too Mike. I think they should space out the releases a bit.

11. Ireland Michael

I don’t think they need to space it out. I think they need to stop milking it full stop.

There is so much more they could do with 2D Mario than this.