EA “investing quite a bit” in SimCity’s always-on requirement

Friday, 13th July 2012 00:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Maxis boss Lucy Bradshaw has said EA is doing everything it can to avoid the horrors of a flaky online launch ala Diablo III.

Videogamer name dropped Diablo III when broaching the subject of SimCity’s controversial always-on Internet connection requirement.

“I think that’s why we have to be really, really good about the service that we provide. Electronic Arts is investing quite a bit in making sure we’re locked and loaded,” the designer replied.

“If you’ve seen some of our recent launches they’ve been really quite flawless. Battlefield had huge amounts of players and stayed extremely stable, and think SWTOR was one of the most absolutely stable MMO launches.

“We understand that, when we go down this path, one of the things we have to do is provide really great service. Not only in the steps that a player takes to get into the game, but also in the game services themselves.”

Although you will need to be online to play, Maxis has said repeatedly that it has some sort of “nice, graceful” solution to common problems like drp outs mid-game, so players don’t lose progress should their modem spontaneously combust in the middle of construction.

“I don’t want people to have to tolerate bad connection or downtime. The asynchronous multiplayer aspect to what we’re doing allows us to be very graceful in how we address any kind of hitches,” Bradshaw reiterated.

“We also take very seriously games as a service. And I do think, yup, as with any technology there’s going to be moments of ‘here we go’ and we’ve seen it with hordes coming in and systems that are overloaded and what not. But we ultimately have come up with more and more graceful ways to deal with that. And I think the opportunities it affords in terms of gameplay are so significant, that if we’re not going to push in that space and stay on these little self-contained islands that we’re not going to explore new gameplay.”

SimCity is due on PC in February 2013.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. DSB

Well, it worked great for Blizzard… Oh, wait.

I guess EA doesn’t have anyone onboard who can stop them from shooting themselves in the foot either.

2. alterecho

So i guess i won’t be getting Sim City. I have such a bad net connection. Hope some hacker harasses their servers. Man these publishers are trying to drive people back to piracy.

3. JimFear-666

nice, im gonna wait for the cracked version.

4. GrimRita

Anotehr cheap way to grab headlines – good ol’ EA. If Sim City sells 3.5 million copies in its first week, and then has zero problems, maybe then this EA tit can gloat.

5. Puggy

So, what do I get for being online? I mean I play single player games, because I want to do so alone. Not with others, I can start up a multiplayer game if I want that.

The only reason for me to be online is to make sure I have a valid copy of the game? Uhm, you might have to offer something else there. It is not a privilege to play your game. Well it would be if it were free, but since I have to pay for it, I want to play it the way I want.

6. GrimRita

@4 – dont worry. this is just more EA marketing bull shit to grab some headlines for a failed IP. In a couple of weeks they will say ‘Community feedback means always on decision over turned’.

7. roadkill

So there you have it Diablo 3 players. You asked for it so they will give it to you. And to us. Thank you for your contribution to the gaming industry. We (the players who actually have a backbone) are so grateful to you.

8. The_Red

Great, another game that pirates and crack users get to enjoy more than legit customers.

9. Puggy

Now that ain’t true. You can still buy the game and only download the crack. Don’t really see how it is illegal to use a crack, if you own the game anyway. I didn’t like having to keep the CD in the Drive all the time and I do not like having to be conencted to the web. Well I am anyway, but it just is about principles. I pay for the car to be the colour I want and for the navi to direct me to the destination I want. Not some random place the producer decides.

10. Armalyte

If this always-on is mostly implemented to counter piracy, I wonder if this “investing quite a bit” in the servers isn’t more expensive than a few (thousand) lost sales…