UK games retail falters in June, units sold down 40% YOY

Thursday, 12th July 2012 14:02 GMT By Stace Harman

2.1 million games were sold at retail in the UK throughout June, down more than 40 percent on the same month in 2011, while revenue raised by UK stores was down from £78.4 million to £48.4 million, a drop of 38 percent.

The number one selling game in June was Ubisoft’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, followed by LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, which has so far spent three consecutive weeks at the top of the UK charts.

The grim sales figures come as Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter, predicted that US sales during June will be down by around 34% year-on-year.

Thanks, MCV.

1. DSB

Brick and mortar. That explains everything.

40% looks terrible and all, but without the online there’s really no sense of whether things are actually selling or not.

2. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a crisis!

The games industry is doomed!

Let’s make new IPs! New IPs will solve everything, won’t they?

3. Razor

Nah, Wii U will solve everything though.

4. OlderGamer

I don’t believe console online sales figures are as high as a lot of people believe. PC, yes, huge. But I did some research a day or two ago, Castle Crashers was one of the top selling arcade games.

CC sold near 3 million units across PS3 and xb360(2.5M on xbla, 18000 on PS3). Nothing wrong with 3million units, but not exactly off setting the retail drop either. Info is VERY hard to find on digital sales.

We also, have little or no way to verify sales numbers for stuff like fluu blown games for sale on Games on Demand for xb360, for example. But I am going to assume that if only because the retail and digital releases for a game aren’t at the same time, the digital sales aren’t near as high. Plus factor into that by the time the digital version is released a second hand copy at the store will cost you less.

Full blown console games sold digitaly are not really about big mass market numbers. I think they are about offering a service to a niche demographic. Arcade, VC, WiiWare, and PSN style games are, I think, a slightly different animal.

Just my take.

And no, the sky is not falling, and it is not the end of the world. Just likly the end of a generation that people have grown tired of. There are other, cheaper gaming alternatives out there, but have they truely cut into the console market? Hard to say.

5. DSB

@4 Arcade titles are more of a sidedish. What actually matters is the full length games.

The last physical game I bought for the 360 was Alan Wake maybe 4-5 months, and that didn’t cost me 20 bucks.

However I just bought Shadows of the Damned straight through Xbox Live, and every other purchase I’ve made has been from either Steam, GOG, or straight from a developer that’s privately owned and also doesn’t release sales numbers.

June and July don’t have stellar line-ups, so they’re going to be a slump no matter what, but using brick and mortar as indicative of anything is very unsound in my opinion.

It’s true that no one knows how much digital sells for, but Gabe Newell is worth more than Kotick and Ricitiello, and EA are reporting massive profits online. I think that says it all.

It’s digital or die.

6. OlderGamer

G!GA, Razor, and others…you fellas might want to keep something in mind. I know you think everything is fine, maybe it is. But the noise your hearing is coming from somewhere.

And nope, not (just) me.

Read around. Go to GamesIndustry.biz. Go to other websites. Read what people(industry insiders and gamers alike)(not just patcher) have been saying about the state of video games(esp consoles), and look at their thoughts on the future.

Again not doomsday, games will go on regaurdless of how they evolve, but it ain’t all candy and flowers either.

If you don’t, you might someday find yourself wondering wth happend. Change is blowing on the wind. Surely you feel it? Even the next xbox looks like it will have more to do with other non gaming media then just playing games. I am not passing judgement on that, just pointing out that it is an example of tangible change.

All I am saying is the industry obviously needs to adapt and that you may well have to share your sandbox.

7. Razor

“I don’t believe console online sales figures are as high as a lot of people believe”

Totally agree, and the reason we know little about digital/online sales is probably precisely because of that.

And we only know about retail sales because of trackers.

8. OlderGamer

DSB PC and consoles are apples and oranges right now. Someday that could change. I buy all of my games digitaly too, on PC. if I am looking for a full console game(and the last one I bought was KoA for PS3, at launch), I still goto the store. I think a lot of people still do.

Agree with Razor, if MS or Sony were knocking out digital sales of its games on demand line up, they would be hyping it. If they could spin it, they would be. Just like we ocasionaly read about this or that xbla/psn game being the “fastest selling blagh blagh”.

9. Razor

Everything is certainly not fine, but this generation dragging on as long as it has is a significant reason why things are stalling, IMO.

Whilst being a little facetious, I would certainly hope that Wii U will change that, and the introduction of PS4 and Nextbox more so.

10. ManuOtaku

I believe when you see a triple A tittle selling more copies on digital rather than retail, well i will say theres is trouble, at least they will need to think about going digital alone, in the mean time this is not happening and it will pass a lot of time until we reach that point.