Selling Shiny Entertainment to Atari was “the worst mistake I ever made,” says Perry

Thursday, 12th July 2012 22:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

David Perry has said he regrets selling Shiny Entertainment to Atari in 2002.

Perry said selling the studio which launched Earthworm Jim was the “worst mistake,” he ever made.

He and Shiny continued to work on games at Atari while VIS Entertainment made Earthworm Jim 3D.

“I never played it,” said Perry. “I said to the CEO of Atari, ‘if I rebuild the Earthworm Jim team, will you fund it’, and he said he would. We rebuilt the team.”

However, another Earthworm Jim from Shiny never came to pass.

“Atari said we were low on cash and they said they weren’t going to start any new projects. It was embarrassing for me,” said Perry.

Perry is currently working on a 3D game which is described as a “Deathchase-inspired charity project,” for the iPad.

Via Gamespot.

1. The_Red

So true. Shiny was my absolute fave game studio. Every single game from them was a masterpiece in my book (Earth Worm Jim 1&2, MDK) but under Atari they went into a state of decline and in the end Shiny was worse than the worst.

2. DSB

I couldn’t agree more The_Red. There’s never been anyone like Shiny before or since.

Sacrifice, Messiah and MDK are some of the most imaginative games I’ve ever played.

There’s no studio showing that kind of creativity today, that’s for sure.

3. absolutezero

Sacrifice ;_;

Ok so its on GoG but still. An updated Sacrifice would be wonderful.

4. The_Red

Dude, the ones you mentioned were AWESOME. But aboive all, Messiah was just insane. Rough around the edges but the concepts, design and mechanics were so weird and awesome.

Sacrifice was also great but not as mindblowing as Messiah, Jim or MDK in my opinion (MDK 1 is still the very best 3rd person shooter of all time in my humble opinion).

5. Mineral4r7s

Shiny Entertainment…

MDK, Earthworm, and ofc my alltime fav Sacrifice.

I just bought Sacrifice over at GOG and now I read this news.

RIP