Perry would prefer Sony “focus on gaming” with its consoles

Thursday, 12th July 2012 17:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

David Perry has said it’s fine if consoles can provide entertainment other than game to folks in their living rooms, but now that Sony has purchased his company Gaikai, Perry said he plans to push for a more core-focused console.

Speaking during a session at Develop 2012, Perry said he doesn’t think consoles will be called consoles for much longer.

“I’ve been saying for a long time – and this is not my opinion post-Sony, this is my opinion period – is I don’t think the consoles are going to be called consoles any more,” he said.

“There have been little signs of it coming. You probably saw in the last generation of advertising, Sony’s was, ‘it only does everything,’ they’re turning into media hubs. You can see Microsoft has been doing the same. They did a deal with Comcast to put Comcast content and Netflix and everything else, and they’re very proud of the fact. And you saw at E3 their big presentation talked a lot about other stuff.

“So, ultimately consoles are making a play for the living room and their competition is becoming Tivo and all the other media hubs – everything that’s trying to plug into a TV.”

“I now work for Sony, [but] I can tell you my take on it is I much prefer to focus on gaming. You need to hit it out of the park on gaming. If it does other stuff that’s cool. But the core is what it’s all about.

“So my focus would be, it’s just got to make the most badass games possible. That’s certainly what my push will be inside the company. If it does other things I get it. That’s cool. But it’s not the core of the device.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. alterecho

I support him for once. Microsoft should listen too.

2. SuperGuyverUSA

Very true. Like this guy said, it’s cool to have other stuff on video game systems, but as a gaming system, it’s main focus should be video games. All three of the gaming titans (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) needs to apply this. I’m hoping for a better future with consoles!

3. OlderGamer

I feel Nintendo does th ebest job between the three. MS is esp intent on being the only box you will ever need in the living. Its nice, like you guys said. But, to me I buy a game system to play games.

4. fearmonkey

I usually disagree with what perry says but I agree completely here. I hope he helps Sony make the best console they can that is gaming focused. I need an alternative to MS, as I am very worried that the next xbox is going to be lame as they are so focused on Kinect and media, and I just want a console for games.

5. Clupula

Nintendo do not do the best job of the three when it comes to games, because their third party support is so traditionally weak. Sony actually do as they have strong third party support AND strong first party titles. Nintendo only have first party to rely on.