Rumor – next Batman from Rocksteady set in Silver Age of DC Comics

Wednesday, 11th July 2012 14:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Variety is reporting the next Rocksteady game and the follow-up to Batman: Arkham City will be a prequel taking place during the 1950s, otherwise known as the Silver Age of DC Comics.

According to the report, the game will focus on the first meeting between Batman and the Joker and this is around the same time the bat teamed up with Superman to form the Justice League of America.

Variety says the game will “bow in 2014 at the earliest.”

1. drewbles82

I think its time they concentrate on a new hero or franchise, Turtles, Superman.

2. HeavyD-Love

The only way they can top their last two is to change styles completely in my opinion. I’m expecting a cell shaded more cartoonish/comic look for the next game. Unless they’re going for a trilogy of sorts…

3. DSB

I was hoping this was the Gotham By Gaslight thing. That would’ve been even more awesome.

Rocksteady are on a roll though. Count me in.

4. Edo

I would like to think that this is is just that…a rumor simply because there are too many easter eggs/hints about their next Batman game that say otherwise,therefore,I find this extremely hard to believe.

5. The_Red

Goddamit let Rocksteady work on something other than Batman. I love their Bat games but hope one day Warner lets them make something different.

Also, I don’t think this game is gonna be really set in “Silver Age”. It might be in the 50s but the themes and tones of “Silver Age” don’t suit their world, design and themes one bit. Seriously, Silver Age Batman comics are mostly about crazy, random and often childish experiments taken by DC.

6. Giskard

@1 Why? How do you make a Superman game where he doesn’t just kick everyone’s face in without trying, while still being Superman?

Turtles are boring, so bring on more Batman.

7. Takeshi

Personally, a bit torn. I love the Arkham games, but on the other hand, I would love to see them try another game with their level of expertise.

I have a very hard time imagining how they can top Arkham City. They would have to do Gotham. I’m not sure they need to introduce him to the world seeing as most of the action happens in Gotham.

They’ve touched most of the main villains in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City as well so who is going to be the main villain now?

For them to work on Turtles is a dream of mine. Really just an old fan of the 80′s show which is why it would be awesome to get to see less popular villains in the TMNT universe. Loved The Mad Hatter and Deadshot in Arkham City.

8. ManuOtaku

How about a thundercats game?, it will have many things in common with their previous works, but well at least they can make another great batman game.

9. osric90

Honest? Sounds like a crappy idea. We want a worthy closure to the magnificent Arkham universe first. Then then can make a wanking game with Batman as a model. Hope the series doesn’t get milked out like others.

10. Len

LOL @ 9!

I finally got AC working via a change to an nvidia card and am seriously impressed, amazing stuff so far.

11. DSB

It’s interesting that they decline to comment though. If it wasn’t true, they could just shoot it down. Maybe they figure they might as well take the PR.

If it is true that they’re going to be making a series of retro movies, then I think it might be hard to resist for the guys in suits.

@10 I couldn’t be more impressed with Rocksteady. I wasn’t expecting Arkham City to outdo Asylum. It’s only 10 hours, but there was no filler in there.

12. YoungZer0

Well, that’s disappointing. If true, of course.

I was hoping to see a videogame based on the Dark Knight Franchise by Nolan. I mean The Dark Knight Rises plays 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight. A lot could’ve happened between those two movies. Missed opportunity if i ever seen one.

13. Custard Ganet

Awesome is its true,i would love to see Rocksteady’s take on the Brave and the Bold animated show.