ArmA 2 mod DayZ has over 420,000 players

Saturday, 7th July 2012 19:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DayZ creator Dean Hall has said the ArmA 2 mod has over 420,000 people playing it.

Speaking with Eurogamer during Rezzed, Hall, a multiplayer designer for Bohemia Interactive, said yesterday, July 6, the game has 400,000 folks playing it, and he expects 430,000 players by July 8 and half a million by next week.

“Currently we’re running 22,000 concurrent at full peak, and 10,000 off peak, which is pretty huge numbers considering the original data structure and system was designed to handle 100 concurrents, and two servers,” Hall said during his developer session.

“We now have 1000 servers. We’re getting 110,000 players in a 24 hour period at the moment.”

Hall said the popularity of the mod forced the migration of servers six times, and five were lost to overheating. Each upgrade also causes a server crash.

“We have trouble telling the difference between a DDoS and whether some YouTube channel has posted a video of the game,” Hall said. “It makes things pretty interesting.”

Hall said he would like to see DayZ turned into a , but at the moment However, for now, players will have to be sated with the addition of dogs to the game – possibly German Shepherds – and implementation which has been on the back burner for a while.

“There’s a problem with the implementation and there’s been so much more that’s been more pressing,” Hall said, adding that he would like to eventually see DayZ turned into a standalone game, maybe even free-to-play.

1. roadkill

The new Counter-Strike! Who would have thought!? :)

2. OrbitMonkey

How does this work? Do Arma make money of this? Is this guy running all his own servers? How’s he making money off it, if any?

3. DSB

@2 That’s probably the most amazing part of it.

It seems that the mod has now singlehandedly put ArmA 2 in first place on Steams top seller list, so for Bohemia it has to be a total gold mine. Even if people aren’t interested in the games themselves, they’ll still buy them for the mod.

Since Dean Hall works for Bohemia, I think it’s safe to assume that he’s sitting pretty. I think it’s completely inevitable that Bohemia release Day Z as a paid expansion to ArmA 3 – they’ve certainly hinted as much – and I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s going to be project lead on that.

I don’t think he’ll have a lot of trouble renegotiating that contract.

4. OrbitMonkey

Oh that’s good to hear, though it’s shit compared to Treyarchs epic obviously ;)

5. UuBuU

This mod really is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in a while.

6. Gekidami

Kind of reminds me of Desert Combat for BF1942, everyone i know got the game just for that mod, myself included. First time i played 1942 in an Internet café, Desert Combat was set as default. I only noticed there was a WWII game in there later.

7. Pytox

Desert combat was soooo awesome:D

8. Ireland Michael

@4 Nice troll. =P

9. DSB

I think the basic elements are great, but the ArmA engine is truly crap for simulating a fight. Especially against speedy zombies.

I’m surprised that people love it that much. That’s the power of zombies I guess :)

10. Puggy

I would not compare it to Team fortress. As I understand it, the game seems more like a survival MMO FPS. A bit like Minecraft meeting some generic fps.

It also reminded me of Salem, or Hearth world (or however you spelled that one). As in you start off as some nobody in hostile environment, and have to run around, pillage random resources while trying to not get killed by said hostile environment or other players.

In a way, there is no goal for the game beside survive. Somehow like being tossed into the endgame dungeon of some mmo, just without all the boring levelling process and without the loot at the end of the whole thing. You just run around and… yeah, try not to get eaten or shot.

Is it just me or do survival games get more and more popular these days?