The Walking Dead action-FPS in the works from Activision

Friday, 6th July 2012 18:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Activision has announced a FPS based on The Walking Dead series airing on AMC is in development from Terminal Reality.

The game will tell the story of Daryl Dixon and his brother Merle on who are on a “haunting, unforgiving quest to make their way to the supposed safety of Atlanta.”

Players will control Daryl while avoiding zombies that hunt using sight, sound and smell. You can choose to fight them or avoid them.

“No place is truly safe for Daryl as he makes his way through the Georgia countryside in this new, post-apocalyptic world,” said Activision.

Supplies will be scarce and players will need to manage resources. Many other characters from the series will be encountered as well. They can even choose to follow Daryl if the player desires.

The Walking Dead will hit stores in 2013 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

A video for it is through the link below.

Thanks, IGN.

1. absolutezero

2. OrbitMonkey

Took them long enough. Needs a 4 player co-op mode please.

3. Colin Gallacher

Not sure if want. I’m sure the 27 seconds of Star Wars Kinect that Terminal Reality worked on was alright…

4. DSB

Well, Terminal Reality did a great job on Kinect Star Wars……

….

….

….

Right! Right?

5. daytripper

6. absolutezero

You would think they would have learnt from Road to Fiddler’s Green but I guess not.

Really the Telltale games might not be to everyones tastes but at least they reflect the source material a little better than the TV series and a Goddamn FPS.

7. Colin Gallacher

*racism debate imminent*

8. OrbitMonkey

Racism debate?

9. hives

“…based on The Walking Dead series airing on AMC” – nope, thanks.

10. Edo

Yeah….NO.

11. Colin Gallacher

@8 Merle is quite the racist

12. Phoenixblight

Sorry but I have read all of the comics of the series and what AMC has done with the show is far better than the comic. THe writers of the comic have no character development every single person is just a template that happens to be there.

After watching the 2 seasons of the show and despising the last season I went and got all of the comics and read them. What the comic had done is made me appreciate the show even more.

Tell Tale games of Walking Dead is closer to the show than it is the comics. The writer of the comic doesn’t know about pacing and drama.

13. Christopher Jack

I hope it can turn out good but am extremely doubtful.

14. Phoenixblight

Very doubtful they picked two characters that you can make an action game with especially since they are foul-mouthed bad asses.

15. absolutezero

The show is filled with pointless filler characters. They took characters present in the source and changed them to such a degree that they are the same only in name.

Take Amanda for example. I could not care less about your thoughts on the actual quality of the source material thats your own opinion but the TV series has taken so many stupid leaps its pretty fucking terrible.

Tell me whats the purpose of the redneck is? Or the fat black guy? Theres a perfectly good African American character in the comic book that gets close to Rick. Why not just bring him in?

Nah its utter trash. The guy that wrote The Walking Dead has also proven he can turn his hand to more traditional comic book staples like superheroes, he wrote Invincible. (which completely lacks character progression blah blah blah).

16. ManuOtaku

“Players will control Daryl while avoiding zombies that hunt using sight, sound and smell. You can choose to fight them or avoid them”

I hope they handle this feature well in the game and for that, this will end up being a surprise hit like the telltale games, before it, but this is activision who we are talking here, therefore i dont know what to expect, colour me doubting here.

17. Phoenixblight

Not going to get in an argument with you about which is better. I have read the entire series and I enjoy the show much more.

You can complain all you like but without the show the comic wouldn’t be getting as much popularity. And Tell Tale games version wouldn’t even be made without the show.

The writers are also the ones that oversee what the show does give the OK for the changes.

18. absolutezero

Without the original work being as popular as it was there would have been no show. Then no game, which is based on Adlard’s style and the more slow sombre pacing and mood of the comic.

I also somehow doubt that Kirkman has all that much input into what the writers of the series come up with, very few creators have that much control when its handed over for syndication.

While the comic had periods of quiet and then massive burst of violence, the series is almost constantly hysterical. In a series that prided itself on being a little different from most of the movie zombie canon and making the best out of its medium the TV series falls into almost every single last generic trap.

Although there are people that prefer Aliens to Alien and Predator 2 over the first. God speed.

19. Phoenixblight

He and Adlard are writers of all 20 episodes. SO it discredits your point especially with interviews of Kirkland promoting the show. Along with Robert Kirkman being the executive producer ie the one that calls the shots with the show.

“When you think about The Walking Dead comic series, you think about oh, the stuff they with did the Governor, the stuff they did with the prison and Woodbury and Michonne. And that’s really a lot of the stuff that people remember the story for and that’s stuff we haven’t even gotten to in the TV show yet. So as much as people love the show, and as high as the ratings are, and as cool as the show is, I feel like we haven’t even gotten to the good stuff yet. This season is absolutely going to blow people away.” ~ Kirkman

20. Maximum Payne

This should be TPS with some moral choices , but its to much to ask from Activision.

21. Ireland Michael

Yeah… no.

We already have a perfectly serviceable Walking Dead game already, thanks Activision. Go back to Call of Duty please.

22. OrbitMonkey

^ Moans that Activision only do Call of Duty, moans when Activision do something else…

At least your consistent :-P

23. OwningXylophone

@ Pheonix

Have a look at what IMDB catagorise as ‘writer’, Kirkman is listed against all episodes there because he wrote the comic this was adapted from, he actually only has writing credits against 3 episodes in series 1 & 2 combined. As you can see here

I’m not knocking the TV series, it’s good, but the comics are better. Plus don’t you think Kirkman HAS to say that PR bull in interviews? He’s not going to say “The TV series is shit, read my comics instead” when being interviewed about it is he?

On topic, Walking Dead FPS? Totally not needed.

24. Phoenixblight

” Kirkman HAS to say that PR bull in interviews? He’s not going to say “The TV series is shit, read my comics instead” when being interviewed about it is he?”

There have been plenty of times that an original creator has spoken against the Movie or TV series.

“Have a look at what IMDB catagorise as ‘writer’, Kirkman is listed against all episodes there because he wrote the comic this was adapted from, he actually only has writing credits against 3 episodes in series 1 & 2 combined. ”

Even so he is still the executive producer. Which is the one that is in charge of the overall production of the show.

25. OwningXylophone

@Phoenix

As I said, I enjoy the TV show but prefer the comics. I was just correcting your point that Kirkman wrote every episode… Simply not true.

Also, executive producers tend to have little to no input, they are just a name attached to a project. Description of an TV executive producer lifted straight from Wikipedia:-

“A television show may credit many executive producers. It may be a situation not unlike the one described above for motion pictures: someone with previous involvement with a particular work, a project’s financier, or someone in control of the business aspect of production. Sometimes, this title is conferred upon a celebrity or notable creator who has lent his or her name to a project to boost its prestige or credibility, as a recognition of newly-acquired industry status, or as a perk to the show’s main star or creative force.”

So no, he is not in ‘overall charge’ either.

26. Phoenixblight

Yeah, Kirkman proves you wrong.

“I think that one of my main jobs on the Walking Dead show is to protect the show for the fans. I think that the fans of the comic book series have made the show possible. I think that the comic wouldn’t have become as popular as it’s become and would never have been made into a show if it wasn’t for them, and I think that I have to honor their devotion to the Walking Dead, which is a great thing that, you know, benefits me well and keeps my children fed.

So yeah, if they were suggesting anything that I thought was going to hurt the integrity of the Walking Dead, or something that would definitely piss off fans, I would step in. Luckily, I haven’t had to do that yet.”~ Kirkman

SO you can believe whatever fairy tale you want but Kirkman says right there that he would stop the writers if something didn’t jive with him.

27. OwningXylophone

@Phoenix

Fair enough, unlike somebody, I’ll admit I was wrong on that one. Executive producers usually have very little to do with anything. Although by what he says there he is not in ‘overall control’, but just gets a final approval, I’d say there is a difference there.

Also, again Kirkman proves me wrong???? Pray tell, when did he first prove me wrong?

28. Phoenixblight

@27 Typo which I have fixed. My bad.

“Although by what he says there he is not in ‘overall control’, but just gets a final approval, I’d say there is a difference there.”

Thats the entire point of absolutezero’s argument. Kirkman is the one that Oks the stuff he doesn’t like about the show.

29. Ireland Michael

@22 I’ve never moaned about them solely doing Call of Duty. I’ve moaned about them rehashing the same formula over and over and over again for years on end.

30. DSB

@29 But people obviously love that. Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, Battlefield.

Is it because it’s a formula that you don’t personally like perchance?

31. absolutezero

My entire point was that I dislike the changes that they made from comic to TV series. If Kirkman ok’d the changes then Kirkman ok’d the changes. Im ok with that, it however does not mean that I have to like what he ok’d.

I don’t think im all that alone, actuall from reading the BD articles about the show I know im not the only one. I was one of those ground swell fans he was talking about, I was stupidly excited when the show was announced. It could have been something different, something special. Its not though, its not even as if it has the same calibur of acting in something like Game of Thrones either.

I personally dislike it for reasons stated. You like it for reasons stated. Thats ok. Its ok. There there.

32. Erthazus

lol. Activision is still trying.

33. alimokrane

NO, no , nooooooooooooooo!!!

34. Ireland Michael

@30 I enjoy shooters just as much as any genre.

This is Activision. Their games are universally amateurish, almost every last one of them.

35. DSB

@34 So in other words, yes :D

36. Ireland Michael

@35 No.

I have no problem with the concept or idea. My problem is with the publisher mandating its creation and the general quality of their games.

Minimum budget, minimum effort, maximum profit. They have absolutely no interest in the craftsmanship or quality of the products they make. They are utterly soulless, and completely devoid of creativity.

37. Phoenixblight

“Minimum budget”

I dunno about that 200 million for marketing doesn’t seem like a minimum budget.

38. DSB

@36 But all publishers do that.

I haven’t seen any evidence that Activision have been giving Infinity Ward or Treyarch less than big budgets to make their games.

According to the LA times they got between 40-50 million to make Modern Warfare 2, excluding the marketing.

I’m sure you’re familiar enough with the industry to know that that’s quite a purse. Most AAA games cost around 20-30 million. You have to go all the way to Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV or the MMO space to find ones that go above that, and they also take twice the time to make.

I can’t say whether Infinity Ward or Treyarch put minimum effort into their games. And neither can you. I would think that Activision would find a way to cut their pay if they were total slackers though.

“They are utterly soulless, and completely devoid of creativity.”

Right. You don’t like them. That was my point.

39. Ireland Michael

@37 I’m talking about the budget for the actual development of their games. Advertising is a whole other story. Activision releases more than Call of Duty, as easy as it is to forget that fact. I’m talking about those games just as much.

@38 If you think all publishers are like that, you have a very jaded view of gaming. I find a lot of them do actual care about helping developers put together a quality experience to the best of their ability.

Call of Duty is the one rare exception when it comes to budget, for pretty obvious reasons.

“Right. You don’t like them. That was my point.”

No. The games they publish just tend to be universally crap.

If they release what I consider a good game, I’ll bloody enjoy it. Prototype had plenty of flaws, but damn if it wasn’t some really well realised escapism.

40. TheWulf

Yawn.

The Walking Dead is about the stories that happen between people in a zombie apocalypse. It’s not about testosterone-addled fuckups swinging their overcompensating ‘manly’ guns around. Wrong IP. Take that imbecilic nonsense elsewhere, please.

Leave the making of actually really quite good Walking Dead games to Telltale, because they fully understand what the genre is about.

41. DSB

@39 I think publisher meddling is pretty well documented across the board. From Metacritic bonuses, to not wanting to insult China, I think it would be very naive to think that someone under a major publisher can just choose what game they want to make, with absolutely no restrictions put on their creative vision.

They don’t even let their developers talk to the press without a PR rep present. That’s East Germany.

I think the products themselves are a testament to that. Look at the way it was when publishers didn’t have this kind of power in the 90′s, and the way it is now. Hell, just compare indies to AAA. I think it’s pretty obvious.

All in all, I think Homefront made it pretty clear that you don’t just up and make a Call of Duty. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.