Rambo to be shown at gamescom, “coming soon”

Friday, 6th July 2012 11:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Reef said this morning that Rambo: The Video Game will get a showing at gamescom next month.

The title is in the works for PC and PS3 and 360, as was announced last August.

Reef Entertainment marketing boss Craig Lewis said: “We have been quiet since we acquired the Rambo license last August. During this time we have been dedicated to creating a videogame for consoles and PC that will allow Rambo fans and gamers across the globe to really get under the skin of Rambo and wield his iconic weapon-set in battle.”

Nothing is known of Rambo’s setting, although the imagery used in the promo, as seen below, implies it’s going to be a mix of scenarios from the three original films.

More information about the game will emerge in the lead-up to the show. Reef purchased the rights to make the game from StudioCanal last year.

There’s no date, although it was said last year it’d be out in 2012. The official site says “soon“.

1. Edo

I was actually wondering what happened to this,I really hope it’s not another movie tie-in flop.

2. Pytox

Does this use CryEngine? Should be

3. The_Red

Hopefully its not really a greatest hits selection of movies like 007 Legends is.

I want a full blown game based on Rambo 4 which was basically Soldier of Fortune the movie.

4. tenthousandgothsonacid

The CryEngine will never be able to beat this

pclol spectrum ftw ;)

5. Maximum Payne

I thought Crysis 3 was already shown at E3 ?

6. Ireland Michael

Because the one thing gaming needs more of is brainless, stupid violence.

7. manamana

@Ire +1

8. Moonwalker1982

If it’s anything like the Rambo that was on…i believe Atari? It could be good, but i doubt it.

9. Patrick Garratt

I hope it isn’t brainless. I know the later movies were pretty stupid, but First Blood the best thing Big Sylvester ever made. Violence really isn’t the point of it. Wishful thinking, probably.

10. The_Red

To be fair, brainless stupid violence is usually fun in video games and isn’t that one of the main reasons we play? To have fun?

11. Joe Musashi

Hmm. Needs more girls. I’ll pass.

JM

12. OrbitMonkey

Is Rambo even relevant anymore?

13. absolutezero

Relevant to what exactly?

The Sega arcade game released awhile ago was an utter blast, heres hoping it retains the same level of bombast. Also +1 to Pat on First Blood its fantastic.

14. OrbitMonkey

Relevant to the modern day market. You could easily argue Rambo is a dinosaur, there to be lampooned. A Duke Nukem without the humour.

15. StolenGlory

I’ve always imagined that my ideal ‘First Blood’ Rambo game would be some sort of bastard cross between Metal Gear Solid 3 and Syphon Filter.

I would be surprised if this wasn’t lame pish however.

16. absolutezero

I think there far more less relevant titles that get released on a monthly basis than marking out Rambo instead.

Like the endless WoW style MMOs and endless dota clones. Those are far far less relevant to anything or anyone.

17. TheWulf

Sigh.

Depends on how you quantify fun. I’m personally getting a little tired of acts of atrocity actually amounting to it, what with violence getting more and more real all the time. With the most fucked up instance of this being Lara Croft where the big manly fucking nerd has to protect poor little Lara from the world.

That just makes me hate people.

Personally, my idea of fun isn’t like that at all. It’s a good story, something that challenges me intellectually and/or emotionally, and/or something that isn’t afraid to be silly and have fun. Those are the games that I find the most fun. I can actually quantify those as fun more easily, too.

I’m playing Lego Batman 2 currently.

There’s no hyper-realistic blood or gore in that, and people that get knocked to pieces just get put back together. It’s a fantasy world where everyone is pretty much immortal and silliness ensues. So if I want to be LEGO man-bat riding around on a giraffe and butting explosive penguin robots up into the air, I can do that.

I find that more fun than, say, a hyper-realistic rendition of someone looking really fucked up.

I was watching a DayZ video earlier to see what all the fuss was about and… man, some of the bodies in that. No thanks. See, that’s just not fun to me. Maybe I just need more testosterone. (My testosterone levels are borderline, almost non-existent. And I’m half wondering if this love of hurting the living shit out of virtual people is tied into having an over-abundance of that.)

Anyway, it’s not my bag.

Give me LEGO Rambo however, and the beautiful satires that would arise from that, and I couldn’t be happier.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 Physical activity is obviously connected to testosterone, and violence is a pretty obvious extension of that. It doesn’t inherently cause it though.

I definitely don’t have any testosterone problems, but I find very little appeal in direct violence. It’s not an issue of age either – I’ve never found it interesting.

I’m not adverse to the existence of violence in games, but I definitely don’t care about violenc to violenc sake. If Battlefield wasn’t such a team based, social experience for me, I probably wouldn’t even touch it.

19. Da Man

From an armchair journo to an armchair doctor, to infinity and beyond.

20. absolutezero

DayZ has next to nothing to do with testosterone. I have no idea why you would even use it as an example. The game goes out of its way to make sure that an act of violence is a last resort because firing a gun always brings with it a chance of attracting more zombles.

If anything DayZ is home to some of the most funny emergent gameplay I’ve ever been a part of. I’ve been at the head of an army of zombies running for my life, while running searching for something to climb or somewhere to hide I ran straight through a camp of bandits. Suffice to say they did the bandit thing and killed me before noticing my merry band of zombie followers. The zombies killed all of the bandits in a massive frenzy.

So yes I somewhat agree with you a little but DayZ was a fucking horrible choice of example.

21. Ireland Michael

@19 My wife is a surgical tech.

This is high school level biology kind of information anyway. Any half intelligent human being knows how testosterone works.

From dumb fuckery to dumb fuckery, to infinity and beyond.

@20 The point he’s making is whether it’s “funny” to other people. Some people will find that funny. Others will just find it gross.

22. absolutezero

The comparison he made was between DayZ and violent fist pumping games full of over-flowing man fluid. Which is simply not what DayZ is at all.

In actuality DayZ fulfills 2/3 of his criteria for something he would like.

23. Da Man

O’Conner, unfortunately any half decent medic would tell you that it’s not that simple. That shouldn’t stop you from your armchair analysis.

Out of us two, there’s one dumbphuck, who enjoys arguing about cocaine, testosterone and sexism on a toy blog. And he’s looking at you in the mirror, handsome.

You feminine artistic Battlefield player.

Please do continue, it’s not like you have anything better to do.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 “It’s not that simple.”

Which is exactly what I said in my initial post.

“it’s not like you have anything better to do.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

25. Da Man

#24, if only. What you’ve said was as pointless as it was shallow. Which I pointed out.

Yep, pity they don’t have comment stats.

26. Ireland Michael

@25 Don’t you ever get bored of being a raging Internet stereotype?because fuck knows everyone else has gotten bored of it.

27. Da Man

I’ll get bored when you stop ‘contributing’, #26.

More cussing please, this is the closest you come to posting like a male.

28. GwynbleiddiuM

@27 why so serious?!

29. Ireland Michael

@27 “I’ll get bored when you stop ‘contributing’.”

Then we’ll be here until the day this site closes down.

@28 He got some weird hard on for me a couple of months ago and hasn’t let go of it since. It’s pretty hilarious.

30. Da Man

I know, right, O’Connor. The day you’ll have something better to do is the day Vanquish gets multiplayer.

You know what’s even more hillarious? It’s when O’Connor acts as if he doesn’t care, then he tries to behave as if he’s entertaining himself, and then suddenly rages.

I can’t wait for this video game, I want to outBR O’Connor and t-bag him until he starts crying and quits.

31. Stephany Nunneley

Mom here, again. Please keep it civil, folks. Don’t make me put you in the corner because I will, and I will also take your TV privileges away and you won’t get dessert after dinner.

Seriously. We’re all adults here, right? If you don’t like what someone has to say on here, just skip over their comment or ignore them. It’s that simple. Use your superior brain power.

32. G1GAHURTZ

“We’re all adults here, right”

Sadly, being an adult doesn’t stop you from being a troll.

Trolls are equally as offensive as any other ignoramus, such as a xenophobe or a racist.

I also believe that trolling is against the blog rules…

33. trigdabeast

I’ve never understood why people waste their time commenting on things they don’t like. Rambo is essentially a 1 man killing machine who was forced to unleash the beast, that’s why we love him and that’s exactly the purpose he was made to fulfill. If realistic violence/brutal killing isn’t your thing than why fucking bother?