Gearbox too busy for Borderlands 2 Vita, but would love to see it on the handheld

Friday, 6th July 2012 16:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Randy Pitchford has said if an outside developer were to create a Vita version of Borderlands 2, it would be “exciting.”

Speaking during Rezzed, he said Gearbox is too busy at the moment to develop the title for the handheld, but the idea of connectivity between PS3 and Vita in Borderlands 2 intrigues him.

“One of the things I wish Sony would do is get behind Borderlands, because I’d love to see a Vita version of the game,” he said. “I want to be able to have the character I’m working on with my PS3, and then when I’m on the road with my Vita I can just keep developing that same character because it exists on the cloud somewhere.

“Perhaps some of you folks can convince Sony to start that. We’re too busy to develop it ourselves. But I know there are a lot of talented developers who could take our code, our source and our content and perhaps create something like that.

“That would be exciting to me.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Aimless

I’m not sure how this is in any way Sony’s responsibility. Maybe you should speak to Take-Two, Randy?

2. Phoenixblight

Vita can’t do that not unless Sony pushes Galkai for it to somehow stream PS3 on your Vita while you are away from it.

3. Aimless

@2 Yes it can. There are games available right now that let you carry a save across platforms via the cloud.

4. Phoenixblight

You can actually play the game on the VIta while your are away from home?

5. DrDamn

Two different things being discussed. Game written for both platforms and native to each with cloud save – for example MotorstormRC. Game written for PS3 and supporting Remote Play. I think Randy is talking about the former.

6. typeface

@4 actually remote play technically does that. And we should see that exact sort of support for the HD classics such as ico/sotc and gow collection pretty soon.
    Also what Aimless is peaking about is cloud saves similar to the transfarring which we know exists for a few games and definitely exists for upcoming titles such as Sly and PSABR.

As for the actual topic, I don’t see why Sony should be responsible for this unless he’s trying to get Santa Monica to oversee a studio to develop this title for the Vita (since they do that a lot though usually for first party games).

7. Goffee

Well if Randy sets up a petition on his site, I’ll sign it.

8. Dragon246

Maybe sony should look into it.

9. Gekidami

He wants Sony to make a port of a game they neither own nor publish? …Is Randy new to the games industry?

10. diego-rbb-93

I dont get your misundestanding guys, its quite simple.

First, a port of Borderlands 2 for Vita is perfectly posible. But he isnt talking exactly about it, although he´s saying “a Vita version of the game”. He´s thinking about putting Borderlands on Vita, just like that.

The thing is, thanks to the Cross Saving, to take your character from PS3 and keep developing it. Yes, it could be simply a port for Borderlands 2 so you keep playing your game (no one remember Ruin?). Or it could be a spin-off for Borderlands 2 where you can take your character and develop it in new environments, like some kind of dungeons system, and then, in home, take it back to the PS3.

Thanks to the Cell Shading graphics, Borderlands 2 in Vita would be astonishing. The game visuals wouldnt be a problem for Vita. I hope they put it some day.

11. ManuOtaku

#10 “Thanks to the Cell Shading graphics, Borderlands 2 in Vita would be astonishing”.

I think cell shaded games would look great on any console,heck some ps2 and gamecube games still look great even today, therefore not only vita they will look astonishing instead on any console, we need more games with cell shaded graphics, but i get your point.

12. diego-rbb-93

Manu, its because of the OLED screen (just see Gravity Rush). But of course, because Cell shading graphics (in this case, created by the Epic Engine, which can fit with Vita too) can be easily manageable for the console, allowing to port the game the clossest posible to the original in all the specs.

Games like Shin Budokai in PSP were among the few that felt close to a PS2 experience.

13. ManuOtaku

#12 yes i got your point, really, i only took the liberty to use your post for promoting more cell shaded in games, theres not that many out there, and with each generation is decreasing, instead of increasing, for the reasons you stated before like for the newest HD tv, vita screen, 3DS 3d effect, ect ect, now there should be more cell shaded games,more than ever before, we have the tech to support them.

14. diego-rbb-93

I completely agree with you. In this gen we even felt how the Cell Shading games like Dragon Ball felt close to be like live anime.

Its a technology that allows a lot of details in the screen. And what its more important: It doesnt age. I still enjoy a lot playing Megaman Legends from PSX. Its graphics still feel really comfortable, visually pleasant.

It lets you “play the game”, there are other old games that are visually really distracting. I would like to see more games with it as you say. This gen doesnt have too much game using this tech.

But at the same time, im still thinking about Next-Gen Cell Shading. Borderlands 2 in PC could be something like that. However, Cell Shading built specifically for Next-gen… That must be mindblowing.

PD: Now that I remember… Megaman Legends 3 for 3DS… That game made me want to buy one. Not anymore for the moment.

15. ManuOtaku

#14 yep, i hope next gen we will see an increase, and for that this gen was an exception, i mean in the decline.

16. TheWulf

I agree with the notion of cell-shaded graphics and how it causes games to age less quickly. Jet Set Radio had them and that was way back on the Dreamcast, that game still looks amazing.