No need for malaria pills or rustoleum in Far Cry 3

Thursday, 5th July 2012 19:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Far Cry 3 producer Dan Hay has said you won’t need to worry about taking any malaria pills this time out, and your guns will no longer rust.

Speaking with Kotaku, Hay dropped a few more details on what is and isn’t in the third entry into the franchise. Here’s what we found out by reading the article:

• The friend system isn’t back.
  • Fire propagation is back.
  • A fast-travel system has been implemented.
  • People stay dead so when you “own an area, you own the area.”
  • Guns will no longer rust.
  • No malaria-pills required.
  • The game’s map is an archipelago so, the single-player campaign is on one island; the four-player co-op on another; the PvP is on yet another.
  • The in-game editor lets you build you own islands and maps.

There ya go. There’s also a few choice quotes on the game through the link if you feel like clicking.

Far Cry 3 hits December 4 in the United States and November 28 in Europe.

1. drewbles82

That makes me feel better, once they are dead, they are dead.

2. deathm00n

Half of the things that made Farcry 2 unique and an awesome game were the things that have been removed, all of them made sense and created more reality to the game:

“People stay dead so when you “own an area, you own the area.”” – No, I’m not guarding it, if anyone come in there they can take it to them. It was annoying, but it added some more challenge to the game

Guns will no longer rust. – Useless? Yes, but fun, you never knew when the gun would stop working

No malaria-pills required. – Something that made you care about your character.

A fast-travel system has been implemented. – Again, it takes away the reality

Only the map editor was the good news about it

3. Maximum Payne

The gun jamming should have been implemented for example if you are firing in auto mode constantly like in Stalker so you would be ”force” to take shoots carefully.
    Its shame game don’t have coop on main island.Those coop mission are completely unnecessary

4. Edo

Started to play Far Cry 2,played around 3-4 hours and gave up…seriously:
    1)Map that takes half of the screen when you use it(they should have definitely used a smaller hud map)and the fact that you need to use it ALL the fucking time to track diamonds(who the fuck came up with that retarded idea!?!?)isn’t helping either
    2)Drive to that place,drive to this place…rinse,repeat.
    3)”My car is almost destroyed,why don’t I just take that car over there that looks in mint condition but doesn’t belong to ANYONE(da faq!?)
    4)”This person that you met 2 seconds ago is your new best buddy,congrats”….Ok…….

5. absolutezero

I spent most of my time on foot playing it like it was an African Stalker.

Lay some traps, set up some ambushes, set some grass of fire and then watch it all descend into fucking chaos with people screaming and explosions and running and digging bullets out of legs.

I spent around 25-ish hours on one play through of Far Cry 2. I loved it, its broken and wonky but I wish there was more like it.

Also theres now this released after quite a few years : http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

Might make you give it another chance. Just try and not play it like you would any other game, just let the entire thing seep in and make you feel dirty and scabby.

6. DSB

@4 And that’s saying nothing for the clunky animations or the braindead AI.

I had much the same experience.

@5 It seems like they’re trying to tone down the wonkyness with this one, so I suppose that’s one small step for man.

7. absolutezero

They’ve also removed everything that made me love it. Now its all quick kill Splinter Cell mark and execute MEANING OF INSANITY dubstep with way out drug sequences and safe, so very safe, everything else.

8. Maximum Payne

@4 While I can agree, it was fresh game when was released.

9. The_Red

Really happy about removal of gun rust. I really, REALLY hate any form of weapon degradation / condition / change in games. From FC2 to likes of Fallout 3/NV.

Glad to see them taking distance from FC2. Boy, was that game disappointing.

10. ejams

You think they add to realism and it is quite cool at first because it made the game unique, but after getting into the game, you realize how annoying that shit is. Having to stop what you’re doing just to go get pills and do a rinse-and-repeat mission for the people got kinda boring after awhile. Guns jamming wasn’t that bad because you could upgrade and forget about it (and like me, I switched out all my guns every time I was near a safehouse). Having fast travel will help speed things up too, especially since that was a massive complaint with the first one (although I enjoyed driving and walking around but it did get tedious after long periods of play). For the one about people staying dead, I hope that means just around safehouses and towns and whatnot.

TL;DR These changes are a welcome bunch and will hopefully bring back people who lost it on Farcry 2.

11. stretch215

IMO the map editor was the best part of fc2. I remember playing on some crazy maps. The mp game play sucked though, hopefully it’ll be better this time.

12. drewbles82

I’ve only played bout 3-4hrs and got so bored of it. Stupid pill taking during a mission whilst im getting shot at, no thanks.

As for getting to missions, you clear all those checkpoints only to have them respawn very quickly, thats not realism.

13. absolutezero

Jesus I fucking hate to use the term in connection to an FPS but 2deep4u.

14. JB

@13 It shouldnt be any more complicated than having the option to turn it off macho man – different peeps – different playstyles eh?