THQ gives Devil’s Third rights back to Itagaki

Wednesday, 4th July 2012 16:12 GMT By Debabrata Nath

THQ has returned all rights of Devil’s Third to creator Tomonobu Itagaki and his studio Valhalla.

The publisher confirmed to Eurogamer that the developer has retained all right following confirmation it was dropping the title.

“THQ confirms that the company will not be publishing Devil’s Third. All of the game’s IP rights have been returned to Itagaki-san and the Valhalla team.”

Itagaki had earlier told the latest issue of Famitsu Xbox 360 magazine that they now own the Devil’s Third IP.

“Most important thing is gamers’ happiness. And people in business side like distributers and presses. And developers. It’s a Happy Three. So we can’t thank THQ enough. Anyway, we now own the Devil’s Third IP,” he told Famitsu, in an interview translated by Eurogamer.

He also told the magazine how the game was in its final stages of development, and therefore in a critical phase.

“Devil’s Third development is in its final stage now, and is most expensive in this term. In the West, we need to spend a great deal for advertisements – as much as development cost – to sell a lot. But it wasn’t fit for [THQ's] mid-term plan.

“They didn’t want to part with this IP, but we all have to see into the future and at last they did, for us.

“We were anguished and they were really kind to us. Mr. Danny Bilson was searching for a way to work together until the very end. I do appreciate him and THQ managers that signed the transfer contract.”

Devil’s Third has been in development since 2009 at Valhalla. It was made official back in 2010.

1. Christopher Jack

Gets me wondering about the future of THQ, anyone want to take bets whether Dark Millennium, InSANE & Turtle-Rock’s game will actually make it to shelves?

2. NeoSquall

Just Call EA or WB, they’d both be very happy to publish it if you just need marketing and publishing money.

@1 They MUST publish Dark Millennium, else they might lose their most powerful “third party” license left.

3. DSB

I think inSANE and Turtle Rocks game stand a decent chance, but I think it’s pretty obvious that there’s no room for error at this point. THQ won’t be handing out delay slips.

4. ManuOtaku

I hope this doesnt mean the cancellation of the south park game.

5. Phoenixblight

Nope not with allowing of preorders and such that game will definitely be coming out.

6. ManuOtaku

#5 thats a relief, thanks

7. alimokrane

So what happened to that game which is being developed by Mr Desilets who thought he reinvented the wheel and left Ubisoft for THQ? I would be very interested to find out!

8. The_Red

Same here. While I care for both Metro Last Light and DarkSiders 2, that is the one THQ game that I’m looking forward to the most.

9. Coheno

I wonder who the hell is gonna publish this game, since I can’t see it selling anything! It’s one of those not AAA but not low budget either middel games that are really struggeling at the moment…