Ron Gilbert doesn’t think there will be a Monkey Island 3

Wednesday, 4th July 2012 19:03 GMT By Dave Oshry

It’s a sad day for Monkey Island fans, but a good day for LucasArts haters.

Speaking with IGN, the legendary adventure designer said that he would, “Love to make Monkey Island 3.”

“Unfortunately, I don’t own the rights to that. That all belongs to LucasArts. Even if I started a Kickstarter and I raised like 30 million dollars, I really don’t think LucasArts would sell it.”

So we shouldn’t get our hopes up for a Grim Fandango reboot then?  Fantastic.

1. Talkar

You son of a… I was happy without thinking about Grim Fandango. And then you just had to mention the game didn’t you! Guess i’ll just make a HD remake myself now!

2. Dave Oshry

@1 DO IT

3. Talkar

I’ve got this weird feeling that i would get a lot of lawyers after me if i did :P

4. polygem

grim fandango. so good. it really would be a crime not to reboot this ip.

same with sonys medievil. why are they neglecting sir dan? there´s so much potential…

5. DSB

The Telltale series isn’t really worth a damn.

6. AHA-Lambda

well that’s disappointing :(

so i have to be content only playing the 1st, 2nd and 5th monkey island games cos lucasarts are dicks? =/

7. Hunam

Well I thought the Telltale one was pretty top stuff :)

8. drewbles82

I was hoping for them to do all the monkey islands on XBLA. Werent they gonna bring loads of games to XBLA eventually like Full Throttle, Day of the tentacle etc?

I’d love to see remakes of Police Quest

9. Talkar

They mostly are, i just think #5 is trolling ;)

10. DSB

Nah. They were utter shit compared to the originals. Sam and Max never came close either.

Then again that goes for pretty much all the other sequels since LeChuck’s Revenge.

11. freedoms_stain

They need to get Grim Fandango working on modern hardware and up on GoG.

12. Talkar

Grim Fandango works just fine under both Windows 7, Windows 8 and even on Android.

13. The_Red

WTF is he talking about? Monkey Island 3 already exists (Pretty decent game). Heck, there is even a Monkey Island 4.

What is going on here?

14. Ireland Michael

@13 He’s probably completely dismissing them since he wasn’t involved in them. Which is honestly a bit better. I though Ron was smarter than that.

15. TheWulf

Bollocks. The Telltale Tales of series was really good. It might not have had headache-inducing pixel hunting puzzles, but it had it where it counted – charm and humour.

And the Tales of version of Stan was the best version of him I’d seen yet, bar none. (Especially that jacket.)

16. Ireland Michael

That should be *a bit bitter, not *a bit better. Damn typos.

17. The_Red

I’m in a minority here but I actually prefer Monkey Island 3 to MI2. Yes, I know, that sounds like blasphemy but MI3 had much more coherent and fun story along with some really nice small elements for fans.It lacked the punch and sharpness of MI2 (Lack of Schafer) but overall, I enjoyed it more.

Also, what does this have to do with Grim Fandango reboot? It was a Schafer game and Ron had nothing to do with it. He had long left the company before GF was made.

18. DSB

@15 Actually, that’s exactly what it was missing. It wasn’t funny, the characters were even more pointless and sketchy than those in a Family Guy episode, and the graphics were just awful. I’m pretty sure you could do a better job with the Unity engine.

It was like watching Tom and Jerry as a kid, and then watching the new Tom and Jerries produced by some hack studio who either didn’t care or couldn’t cut it, who were obviously signed on to do it because they could do it for half the cost.

Apparently Telltale have shown some worth with The Walking Dead, but up until then they were pretty much just scavengers taking old adventure games and making them incredibly dull and pointless.

I thought the puzzle design of the original two Monkey Islands was lacking as well, but that was par for the course in the early 90′s. The puzzles in the Telltale series might not have been headache inducing, but they sure made you feel sleepy.

19. The_Red

MI3 did lack punch and edgyness (word?) of MI2. Its characters didn’t feel as crazy and unique as MI2 but they were still fun and on par with MI1 characters and themes. If anything, MI1 is the Monkey Island game with most problems.

I also disagree with the Tom and Jerry analogy (Not the actual T&J part where the modern ones are just bad). The MI3 was mostly an updated MI1 with different kind of humor and characters compared to MI2. Also, what the heck do you mean graphics were aweful? Monkey Island 3 was considered to be one of the best looking games of its time with every single reviewer praising its sublime animations and visuals (Heck, the game got a 9 from oldschool GameSpot).

On topic of Telltale MI games, I won’t say much because I HATE those MI episodes with a passion. They did a great job with some of Sam & Max episodes but MI ones badly annoyed me (Didn’t try them all though so maybe they changed or improved).

20. DSB

@19 I was purely talking about the Telltale games, not the previous sequels.

I thought the original sequels (after LeChuck’s revenge) were so/so. Going the cartoony route didn’t really appeal to me.

To me they were more like Leisure Suit Larry. The puzzles weren’t only aimed at pirate stereotypes, but just any old thing that the designers felt was funny.

I remember the beach towel puzzle from one of those games. It just had very little to do with the originals.

They weren’t terrible games, but they weren’t really true to the originals.