“Inevitable” that EA become an “100% digital company”, says Gibeau

Tuesday, 3rd July 2012 00:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Senior EA executive Frank Gibeau has predicted an all-digital future for one of the world’s largest publishers.

“For us, the fastest growing segment of our business is clearly digital and clearly digital services and ultimately Electronic Arts, at some point in the future we’re going to be a 100% digital company, period. It’s going to be there some day. It’s inevitable,” the EA Labels boss told GamesIndustry.

Gibeau doesn’t expect we’ll have to wait long for this glorious digital utopia, either.

“It’s in the near future. It’s coming. We have a clear line of sight on it and we’re excited about it,” he said.

“The ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that’s the best way for them to get it, that’s what we’re going to do.”

Despite enthusing on the many benefits of digital distribution, the executive noted that retail is still very rewarding and that he doesn’t expect it to vanish completely if gamers aren’t yet keen.

“If customers want to buy a game at retail, they can do that too. We’ll continue to deliver games in whatever media formats make sense and as one ebbs and one starts to flow, we’ll go in that direction,” he said.

1. JimFear-666

no surprise here. Ea are a bunch of greedy scumbags fuckers. They probably have come to the conclusion that selling a digital game with no box, cd, booklet etc… At the same price of a retail game is better for them.

2. Beta

I cannot stand buying full games digitally. Most people’s bandwidth isn’t good enough yet and I much prefer owning a solid copy of whatever I buy. It feels safer than storing it on a hard drive that could break, forcing me to re-download everything.

Or my account could be wiped out in a bug and I then lose all my games forever. So yeah, not a fan :P

3. G1GAHURTZ

^ Or all your DVDs could get scratched…

Or you could lose them…

Or a jealous person could bin them…

Etc, etc…

4. Beta

I buy ps3 games so they’re blu-ray, and scratches need not happen if you put the disc in the box.

You don’t lose things if you’re careful where you put them.

Nobody I know is that big of a twat, I personally don’t like digital, I’m indifferent as to what others think and I’m not looking for a debate :P

5. G1GAHURTZ

Ok, good. No debate here, just an FYI.

In exactly the same way as if you look after your blu rays, you expect them to last a long time; if you look after your hard drive, you can expect it to last for just as long, if not, longer.

And it’s a bit paranoid to think that your account could get wiped…

I wouldn’t expect you to feel too safe about having a bank account, then. Could get wiped, no?

Just an FYI.

Bye.

6. Beta

I lost my old PS3 last year after, go on? That’s right, the hard drive broke! My old Xbox 360 account was wiped last year after it was hacked and started sending spam mail. My brother now owns the 360.

And yet I own PS1 discs that still work in my still working PS1, I grew up with retail boxed copies, you’re not some kind of internet Jesus that can make me see the light of digital.

Anywho, I’m going out for breakfast, go make some call of duty videos or something, bye. :)

7. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, you obviously didn’t look after you PS3 well enough.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of a 360 account getting wiped due to spam. I’m sceptical.

If you looked after the new stuff like you did the PS1 games, just like tens of millions of other people do, you might still have them now.

Enjoy your coco pops.

8. Beta

Unlike some I don’t need validation from the internet.

And I find it difficult to believe that any 33 year old (as your youtube account states) is immature enough to pick a fight with a 19 year old over differing opinions, and the coco pops remark is making you look childish.

I haven’t resorted to name calling and snide remarks, can you not have a conversation without trying to start an argument?

In fact don’t answer that I can feel my IQ dropping now.

9. G1GAHURTZ

ZZZzzz… ZZZzzz…

I thought you were off out?

Telling porkies, eh?

I’m not picking a fight with you, kid. No need to have a hissy fit, just because I point out differing opinions to yours.

Honestly, young kids today… Will they ever learn…?

10. Beta

I own a phone that has internet :)

“kid” “hissy fit” “young kids”

Kid means young goat, were you dragged up?

And the answer is no, you can’t have a conversation without trying to start an argument.

11. G1GAHURTZ

“I personally don’t like digital, I’m indifferent as to what others think and I’m not looking for a debate ”

I think you need to look up the definition of ‘indifferent’ the next time you feel the need to use big words.

You also clearly lack the ability to understand that one word can have multiple definitions, but we can only expect such naivety at such a young age.

And I haven’t started any argument. You might be arguing with yourself, but I see no point of contention between us that we could be considered to be arguing about.

Opinion is opinion.

You do understand that, at least, right?

12. viralshag

I cannot wait for everything to go digital. I’m sick of having cases everywhere.

13. Beta

Look who’s trying to prove he wasn’t dragged up ;)

“Indifference, having or exhibiting a lack of affect, concern or care”. I see no problem.

I do understand that, so why when I first stated my opinion in comment #2 did you challenge it? Your posts are filled with sentences designed to be inflammatory.

For example “but we can only expect such naivety at such a young age” “hissy fit” “kid” “enjoy your coco pops” “young kids today”. Also you seem to bring up my age a lot of times, sore spot there?

14. G1GAHURTZ

@12:

lol! I can’t either so I bought a big disc wallet for all my games. The boxes just go in the bin. But now I can’t even be bothered with changing discs…

15. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Wow, kid. I was thinking you may have been a university student or something, but that was obviously well wide of the mark.

Let me spell it out for you, so that you don’t get confused…

If you were indifferent to any other opinion. You would never have replied to my initial comment. But since you did, and since you can’t seem to stop yourself from replying, you obviously do care. You care enough to try and stop me from stating an opinion.

That’s not even caring… That’s near enough obsession.

And I’m not “challenging” your opinion. I pointed out obvious flaws in your ‘logic’.

Obviously, being a child, you’re being childish about this, and expect everyone to just shut up and agree with you.

If you have an actual logical point to make, then make it, and this being a free world, I’ll reply to it in a polite and constructive manner.

However, try to act like you are, and I’m going to continue to treat you like a noisy little kid.

16. Beta

You misunderstand I am indifferent, I’m just seeing how long I can drag this out ;)

Come on “old man” reply :D

17. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, ok kid.

Good change of direction.

18. Beta

I thought so :)

19. G1GAHURTZ

Ok, since it means so much to you kids these days, I’ll let you have the last word.

Well done. You win the internets!

20. Beta

Yayy! :)

21. ManuOtaku

Iam with the people that prefer physical over digital for some reasons stated above plus the fact that with digital we are at their mercy, in other words they can do anything they want, and believe me with the DLC, always connected to play single player, DRM, the Other OS on ps3 issue, etc and all the things the industry tends to scheme to safe their things and to get the most out of their customers, they can only do worse and worse, therefere why should anybody that likes Physical for so many reasons should believe any differently, when the actions indicate that things are getting worse, i have a hard time believing they will have all the control with digital only, at least i root for the choice i mean physical alongside with digital, so we all can be happy, at least this way we have some option, to still be free for doing the things we like.
    p.s also the legal implications for going this route only, i mean digital, at least in the upcoming years theres should be laws especifically done to protect the end customer and put some limitations to the provider of the service, something that rules the TOS and EULEA.

22. DrDamn

I’m in the digital camp. Gone almost solely digital with the Vita – where not having to faff with cards is a big plus. Want to go purely digital next gen – with a couple of caveats. Needs to be cheaper at launch than RRP, nothing which you can only play when connected online – within reason.

I want my game collection available and there to me without disc faff. Contrary to some of the views above I find digital easier and safer than physical. Plus there are other advantages too. Like backwards compatibility enabling games to be used on a multitude of devices – not just one.

23. OrbitMonkey

I prefer physical as I trade in my games. If it all goes digital, I hope to see some price-cuts!