Assassin’s Creed III: new trailer proclaims independence

Monday, 2nd July 2012 14:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Ubi’s put out a new Assassin’s Creed III trailer ahead of Independence Day, giving you ample reason to stare wistfully at the sky with your hand on your heart, goddammit. Before chopping someone in the head with an axe, or something. As ever, it looks amazing. It’s got ships! See below. The game’s out October 31.

1. YoungZer0

*yawn*

2. DSB

For all my reservations about AC, that just looks amazing.

3. Ireland Michael

I only just now realized that Connor’s pickaxe is in the shape of the Creed’s insignia.

4. Sadismek

@3 It’s actually a tomahawk, not a pickaxe.

5. DSB

@3 Didn’t you know? Ultra-covert societies are all about ultra-overt branding these days.

Become a secret assassin, save the world, get the t-shirt.

6. Ireland Michael

@4 Oh geez. I know that. I made a mistake. They’re both a type of axe either way.

@5 Yeah, the fist thing I thought when I saw that is “If you’re trying to be a super-secret assassin, brandishing your logo around in public is probably not the best way to go about it…”

7. Sadismek

@5 Haha. That suit doesn’t help him either, neither the fact that he’s geared up like a killing machine. Bow? Arrows? (in 18th century?) A tomahawk? Pistols? Well, not like Ezio was any better, but at least that was another period…

Still, this looks extremely promising. Unless they fuck it up in the middle of the developing proccess, I don’t see how this isn’t going to be an enjoyable experience, and the best installment in the series yet.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Uh, dude, The People used bow and arrows all the time. A tomahawk is entirely fitting too. Just not the blatant brandishing of the logo.

I don’t think I’ve seen him used a gun yet, but I might have just missed it.

Personally I think the outfit is great. Far too much attention is being given to the trademark hood, but if you take that away the outfit is very fitting. It has very patched together look it, like he found the leathers himself through hunting animals, and made it with his own two hands.

9. DSB

I don’t think there’s any use really digging into the realism too much. The gameplay is too convoluted to really go there.

It’s like Hitman. Dude is perfectly recognizeable, he always wears the same suit, never a wig, never a mustache, never a mask, and nobody notices when he takes the place of their colleague at work.

It’s not believable, but it’s just stretched to fit the gameplay.

As for bows, they obviously don’t stand much of a chance against a rifle, but they are silent. A musket with a suppressor (which isn’t silent in any sense of the word) would be a lot less believable, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see one in AC :P

I just hope I get to hang out with Thomas Paine.

10. Sadismek

@8 He has used guns in the frontier gameplay video (if that’s what it’s called like). And I never said that I didn’t like the suit or his choice of weapons, it’s just… you know, it’s the revolution, and when you see a guy dressed like that, with a bow and arrows on his back, in the middle of Boston or New York, he’s definitely noticeable, and an assassin wouldn’t like that, would he? The tomahawk is fitting, too, I know it was a tool used even by the colonists, for both fighting and different household activities.

And yeah, I knew Native Americans used bows.

11. Ireland Michael

@9 In fairness though, it is a lot less ludicrous than Ezio was. Take away the hood and it’s a pretty normal outfit.

@10 Connor is half native. Native walking around brandishing weapons was quite common back in the day. Not all of them were treated like slaves and savages.

And wielding a pistol back then was perfectly normal.

12. Sadismek

@9 Never talked about realism here, heh. How realistic is a 50 years old man, jumping around in Constantinople, making his apprentices appear out of nowhere and helping him out? :P

I don’t know about Paine, but they confirmed you’ll meet Benjamin Franklin. That’s nice. :D

@11 Yeah, of course wielding pistols was normal in that century. I guess I didn’t know that Natives would still walk around in that period of time, carrying their distinguished weapons with them.

13. DSB

@11 Not much has changed in the South. If you have a drivers license, you can carry a gun with you anywhere that doesn’t have a sign saying you can’t :P

You know, in case the British decide to invade again.

But they’re trying to outlaw fireworks here in Alabama, so at least they have their priorities straight. Safety first!

14. Ireland Michael

@12 Hahaha. True. It’s always been something of a hyper-realistic franchise though.

I’m hoping this new setting will give the series a certain “back-to-basics” feeling though. That’s what it feels like from what I’ve seen. Getting rid of all the added fluff and putting a focus back on the open-stealth. The original game was horrendously monotonous, but that was one thing it did very well.

Of course, the inevitable future games will probably proceed to undo that, just like Brotherhood and Revelations did.

“” I guess I didn’t know that Natives would still walk around in that period of time, carrying their distinguished weapons with them.”

Many natives *helped* the colonial people back in founding days of the colonies. Some went so far as to integrate into American society. Heck, even colonists used bows and other tools for hunting animals. The tomahawk was originally of native origin, correct? Not 100% sure on that though, mind.

What happene to The People is a sad and tragic history, but it wasn’t all blood and violence, as a lot of people seem to think it was. A lot of it had to do with little more than disease passed from one continent to the other.

15. DSB

@14 Right, but few of the nations actually signed on to help the colonists as one, once the war came. Some tried to remain neutral, the majority joined the British, and a minority joined the rebels.

The Declaration of Independence itself labels indians as savages, and certainly the Crown had done a lot more to protect their lands than the colonists ever would.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

16. Ireland Michael

@15 Well, Connor is only half native, so that personal conflict is obviously going to play into his story. As I understand it’s set both before and during the war.

Hey, I completely agree with your sentiments on a lot of Assassin’s Creed’s problems. Its whole conspiracy theory attitude and approach is utterly contrived and lazy, but I will give it credit for this – almost everything that happens in the games’ stories can be traced back to recorded events in history, and it’s sense of identity and place (at least it’s historical settings, no so much with the present stuff) is impeccable.

I don’t think they’re going to half ass this.