Crystal D – “Rape” is not in our vocabulary, communication

Saturday, 30th June 2012 14:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crystal Dynamics global brand director Karl Stewart has said the Tomb Raider comments made by executive producer Ron Rosenberg during E3 contain a word which is not in the firm’s “vocabulary,” or “communication.”

The word and communication Stewart were referring to are rape, and sexual assault, respectively.

Speaking with Kotaku regarding the controversy that just won’t die, Stewart said the comment made by Rosenberg was just an opinion his colleague gleaned from the situation.

“He did say it… It’s his personal opinion and certainly… like I said, it’s not something that we communicate,” said Stewart, who described the scene in question as more of a “pathological situation” containing close physical intimidation.”

The scene in question contains a grubby island bandit touching Lara Croft’s thigh in a rather ominous manner. In this situation, Stewart admitted it wouldn’t be an issue if the game’s protagonist was male – because the bandit wouldn’t have rubbed his thigh apparently – but even with the star of the game being a female, it’s still not a sexual assault.

“By giving her motivation to become the stronger action-adventure hero and the girl that’s willing to fight to stay alive and move forward throughout the game, we use that device and that intimidation to make her stronger,” Stewart explained. “To make her feel empowered and to take her beyond that breaking point where she realises the severity of the situation and she’s willing to fight to stay alive.”

When Kotaku kept pushing Stewart on the matter, the PR representative broke in and put a stop to it.

“I’m pretty sure Karl answered as well as he can the question- I understand where you’re going with this, I think it’s like, you can see the outcome if this continues, but nothing sexual occurred,” said the rep. “Violence occurred as a result of that. I just don’t think you’re going to get any further than what you’re getting out of Karl.”

The interview goes on to discuss Rosenberg’s comments about the player wanting to protect Lara, and Stewart said his comment was reasonable as the opinion was derived through focus group testing.

“We are not building a game where we’re basically saying ‘Hey… our goal is to have the player protect Lara,’” Stewart said. “That’s your choice in playing the game. How you interpret it is your choice. What Ron is saying… that’s the results from fairly significant amounts of play-testers.”

Tomb Raider is out February 2013.

1. jdfoster00

Why’s this even getting media attention… ??? If this was ina film no one would be bothered so why is every so bothered because it’s a game? So many films are so much worse than games (in terms of violence, sexism, racism, bestiality, gore and on and on and on)

2. OrbitMonkey

I’ve yet to see a rape scene in a film that didn’t bother me… But to answer you question, it’s an issue cuz videogames are for kids innit.

3. DreamCleaver

Certainly feels like it. Moral panic.

4. Yoshi

It’s not rape if you say “SURPRISE!”

5. Beta

How much attention is this getting? It’s a Bloody Game not a news report, no one has been raped! :P

6. Talkar

It generates traffic and traffic means more ads are watched, more ads watched means more money for VG247. You have to keep in mind this is a mainstream “news” site ;)

7. Beta

#6 I guess they must hate me and my Adblock Plus then :D

8. Yoshi

@7 Haha likely, however VG247′s ads I can handle, they never jump out with a big box and the background ads are only click-able in certain areas unlike some sites where they have ads forced upon you making it hard to read an article… god I hate that XD

9. Beta

@8 I know, The amount of Lynx shower gel ads I used to see on Gametrailers actually made me hate Lynx for quite some time XD. God knows how I lived without Adblock *first world problems* ;P

10. Ireland Michael

Then you shouldn’t have your own staff state as such.

Jesus.

11. roadkill

@2 What? Are you a little girl? Also, “videogames are for kids”? LOL!! Then WTH are you doing here? Unless, you really are a little girl..

12. silkvg247

GF was playing Mafia II behind me today.. there was an attempted rape on main character in prison.

Where’s the drama and media sensation over that one then?

13. Ireland Michael

@11 He was being facetious on purpose. His whole point was that games aren’t treated seriously enough.

And it’s people like you, who use the female gender as a derogatory form of insult, that we really don’t, especially in these particular threads. Go play CoD with the other VG247 meatheads or something, please.

14. Maximum Payne

@12 But its expected to be rape in Prison.

15. silkvg247

@13 Whenever I hear someone use “little girl” as an insult, I picture them as the heavy from TF2. Just as smart as him I’m sure. It’s an automatic thing, and it always makes me laugh. Better than taking offense I guess. :D

@14 One chick on an island full of clearly suspect male mercenaries, is just as likely a rape situation as a prison shower. Doesn’t matter tho, rape is rape. Pisses me off the drama just because it’s a chick in danger.

16. roadkill

@12 Hmm, you’re slow as usual. Are you a girl too? The problem is not that games are not treated seriously enough but that games are treated too seriously. Oh and I’m using the female gender as a derogatory form an insult versus what is suppose to be a boy and not just versus anyone. It’s a difference between what I did and what you think I did. Yeah, you’re definitely a girl. See what I did there? … Aaaah never-mind.

17. silkvg247

@16 – First of all, yes.

Secondly.. I’m slow? You’re the one who doesn’t understand the term derogatory. Why does a guy being called a girl take offense? That’s the part you don’t seem to understand, i.e. the fact it shouldn’t be offensive at all. Using it in an attempt to offend makes the term eventually become offensive. Just like how the usage of the word gay seemingly changed overnight..

It’s just as wrong to use the word gay as an insult, but you know what? I am long past caring. People who talk like that to one another (other than jokingly) are people I generally won’t socialise with in the first place.

And I’m pretty sure I was discussing how it’s sexist (against men too!) that so much drama has risen from this one event because the avatar is female. Suddenly it’s taken too seriously, because it’s a woman. Why? It’ fucking stupid. This is the sort of shit the media thrives on, no doubt it’ll become a news sensation at some point, with reporters gleefully neglecting the fact we’ve seen much worse in modern film and books.

18. Ireland Michael

@16 “…what is supposed to be a boy…”

You’re one of those people who think men can’t be sensitive and women can’t be tough, aren’t you?

Man, gotta love outdated, sexist mentalities.

19. TheWulf

I… no, I already have a headache. I don’t need an even bigger headache by trying to make a sexist person see the error of their ways. I’m not going to step into this one.

I’m just going to turn around and leave.

20. absolutezero

Hooray!

21. silkvg247

Actually I think it’s more a case of kids being kids rather than sexism, if you’re talking about the comments that is.. let’s just say if roadkill is over 12 I’d be both surprised and alarmed. And I don’t mean the age thing as an insult either, nowt wrong with being young.. just so much to learn and not the best at debating.

22. stretch215

Mountains out of molehills…. Sexism, actually all the “isms”, exist and will be around FOREVER. The sooner people stop getting upset over individual ignorance, the better off we’ll all be.

23. roadkill

Ah s**t! My last post was meant for Michaela and not for silkvg247. Sorry mate. I wrote the wrong number. Damn it! Why can’t we have a quote feature here?

Also, I am a sexist.

24. OrbitMonkey

^ No your just boring, though please feel free to spice up your online persona with adult language and *controversial* viewpoints…

If you ask nicely, a grown-up may even explain to you what those views actually mean ;-)

25. Da Man

O’connor, just shut the trap for once. You’re the biggest ‘meathead’ around here, you mature Erthazus..

26. Ireland Michael

@25 I think you’re probably the first person to ever accuse me of being a meathead.

Makes a refreshing change from “overly sensitive girly faggot” I guess. Hahahaha.

27. Da Man

You’re both sensitive and dense.

But hey.

28. Ireland Michael

What can I say? The ladies love it.

Good god you’re entertaining. Human beings like you are a great barometer for everything a person shouldn’t be. It helps inflate my already huge ego to know the fact.

29. Da Man

No you are.

I’m off to my quality artistic entertainment where I have the worst weapon stats all around. Enjoy your silly toys, kid. I met 10 ladies while playing it yesterday.

And I really really don’t care what you think.

Edit – the above is sarcasm. Just in case.

30. Ireland Michael

@29 Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide,
    No escape from reality
    Open your eyes,
    Look up to the skies and see,
    I’m just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
    Because I’m easy come, easy go,
    Little high, little low,
    Any way the wind blows doesn’t really matter to
    me, to me

Mama,
    I just killed a man,
    Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger
    now he’s dead
    Mama… life had just begun,
    But now I’ve gone and thrown it all away
    Mamaaaaa oooh,
    Didn’t mean to make you cry,
    If I’m not back again this time tomorrow,
    Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters

Too late, my time has come,
    Sends shivers down my spine, body’s aching all
    the time
    Goodbye, ev’rybody, I’ve got to go,
    Got to leave you all behind and face the truth
    Mamaaaaa oooh, (Away the wind blows)
    I don’t want to die,
    I sometimes wish I’d never been born at all

(Guitar solo)

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche! Scaramouche! Will you do the Fandango?

Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening
    Galileo, Galileo
    Galileo, Galileo
    Galileo, Figaro – magnifico

I’m just a poor boy, nobody loves me
    He’s just a poor boy from a poor family,
    Spare him his life from this monstrosity!
    Easy come, easy go, will you let me go
    Bismilah! No, we will not let you go
    (Let him go!) Bismilah! We will not let you go
    (Let him go!) Bismilah! We will not let you go
    (Let me go) Will not let you go
    (Let me go)(Never) Never let you go
    (Let me go) Never let you go (Let me go) Ah
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no
    Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia, let me go
    Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me,
    for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

So you think you can stop me and spit in my
    eye?
    So you think you can love me and leave me to
    die?
    Oh, baby, can’t do this to me, baby,
    Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta
    here!

(Guitar solo)

Nothing really matters, Anyone can see,
    Nothing really matters,
    Nothing really matters to me…

Anyway the wind blows…

31. Da Man

Thank you for some insightful contributions, as well as for adequately reacting to an internet flaming and preventing further derailment of the topic. As usual.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, my independently sensitive, mature modern artist of the internet.

32. Ireland Michael

I think I’ll need to steal that phrase.

33. roadkill

“What can I say? The ladies love it.” LOL! No s**t! Of course they love tools like you. They can do whatever they want with you. I bet that you’re wearing a collar and that you’re being whipped right now. And no, I’m not talking about leather ones. That would be a step up for you. I think you’re being r***d every day and it’s starting to get to you. I was wondering how you know so much about rape.

34. Ireland Michael

@33 I’m married with children. That was the joke. Thankfully she’s *not* one of those obsessive control freak types though.

Wow, now you’re making insensitive remarks and jokes about rape? You really are a class act, dude.

35. absolutezero

“It’s always funny until someone gets raped. And then it’s just hilarious…”

36. Ireland Michael

@35 How is that even remotely funny?

37. Beta

Well this thread went downhill fast huh? :P

38. monkeygourmet

This Rape talk is all just a publicity stunt by Crystal Dynamics to drum up interest in this game.

Good skills, that’s marketing in full effect… Next, peado comparisons in Mariokart…

Whatever… we all know that all taboo’s / crimes are fair game these days, so why people are still ‘shocked’ to see these harrowing situations not being used to sell or promote games surprises me.

It’s just the same shock tactics promotion of video nastys used in the 80′s. It’s rarely well thought out but who gives a fuck ultimately.

They made it sound like this was one step away from ‘I spit on your grave’, when it’s clearly not. Still looks fun though! :)

Also, O’ Connor, stop acting so much like a drama queen. I didn’t think you could become anymore preachy… I understand you may have been raped, and of course that is traumatising, but do you keep having to keep going on about it!

I mean, I stepped on my friends terrapin by accident, you don’t here me flame baiting Nintendo articles involving Mario, do you?!

39. Ireland Michael

@38 “I understand you may have been raped, and of course that is traumatising, but do you keep having to keep going on about it!”

Lazy pseudo-psychology, for the loss.

I’m not going to claim to be a victim of something I haven’t been. That doesn’t mean I can’t have some level of empathy for the degree of trauma and suffering that people have gone through because of it. Some things aren’t funny. Unfortunately, I came to the realization a long time ago that most people have a complete inability to understand the sensitivity of the vast majority of things without first hand experience. Doesn’t make the attitude any less disgusting.

I completely understand that being an insensitive, apathetic asshole is the “in” thing right now, but no thanks.

40. monkeygourmet

No, we live a sheltered existence Michael. Especially you by the sounds of it. I work daily with people who express severe trauma dealing with some very complex issues.

Of course I wouldn’t joke in and around these kind of personal issues, but, in our ethos, we tend to ignore the behaviour, not the person. If you start to outline certain taboo subjects I.e. rape, murder etc… In media, you might as well ban a whole lot of historical text altogether…

You just come across as some kind of guy who takes on these kind of opinions in an attempt to become more sensitive when trying to pick up women…

The worst kind of dick really…

Bare in mind, a lot of people in the medical, health and public service (police, army) etc… Have to develop quite a ‘hard shell’ when it comes to these kind of issues. Not because we find them funny in anyway, just because it’s a certain way of dealing with some very complex situations.

Games like Tomb Raider using a pseudo rape scenario to get a bit more publicity is kind of annoying, but hey, if Lara had to fight off attempted rape at the start of the game then take revenge on her captures, why not? It’s a story after all…

Resident Evil 4 is Racist
    Call of Duty is a terrorist training tool
    Why not have Tome Raider advocating Rape in some way?

This is all bullshit publicity stunt material, and glad you are here to defend us all, the white knight.

41. Ireland Michael

@40 Picking up women? What the fuck? Where the hell did that come from?

“I work daily with people who express severe trauma dealing with some very complex issues.”

So do I. My life is many things, but sheltered? Fuck no. I’m not advocating avoiding the topic, or putting it under the rug. My problem is with people *not* giving these serious issues the respect they deserve, instead using them to make cheap jokes or asinine remarks.

“Bare in mind, a lot of people in the medical, health and public service (police, army) etc… Have to develop quite a ‘hard shell’ when it comes to these kind of issues.”

My wife is a surgical technologist, and has been involved in the medical field for close to a decade. I’m perfectly aware of the “hard shell” you’re talking about. This is far from a subject that I am naive to.

“If you start to outline certain taboo subjects I.e. rape, murder etc… In media, you might as well ban a whole lot of historical text altogether”

The problem isn’t with a game tackling the issue. The problem is with Tomb Raider’s almost misogynistic approach to its female lead.

I don’t support censorship in the slightest. Never have, never will.

42. monkeygourmet

Well, that’s how I feel you come across. And if you’ve managed that over an Internet forum while constantly boasting of your egotistical nature, god knows how you come across in real life :)

If crystal dynamics want to try the “rape” motif, then more power to them if they manage to pull it off.

It’s not a very pleasant subject, but, last time I checked it was a mature rated game, so what’s the problem?

People’s comments on here are pure flame bait, and you know that. But that’s how people react when faced with uncomfortable scenarios. Not always productive or mature, but what do you expect?

Are you telling me you’ve never made a joke at someone else’s expense? I find that very hard to believe , Ghandi….

It doesn’t mean these people are evil, it just means people deal with shit in different ways, who are you or I to say how this should go down.

The main crux is, how well this game deals with this potential situation, I’m assuming it’s implied. So, in that way, prob not very well.

Games are trying to ape movies, although that’s the subject of a different topic, I’m afraid your going to see these ‘out there’ subjects crop up more and more frequently as games try to find their ‘big boy pants’, in a media world dominated by movie scripts.

But, judging by some of the shit movies out there at the moment, games are catching up pretty fast when it comes to character development…

Also, what is the misogynistic lead? Would you like her to get raped and not be able to fight back because that is more realistic? Or not raped at all, I mean, if we’re being really realistic, she would have been killed in an instant after some of the horrendous falls in the cut scenes…

As for protecting her, why not? I’m always trying to ‘protect’ my game characters, I.e. I don’t want them to die!!! ;) ever since mario, cause that means game over!!!

It’s just a power fantasy scenario, nothing more. Wether that is good or bad, depends if you understand people in the real world. Lets not try and create another GTA scenario here…

Also, let’s see what it’s like when it’s released! :)

43. Ireland Michael

@42 “Well, that’s how I feel you come across. And if you’ve managed that over an Internet forum while constantly boasting of your egotistical nature, god knows how you come across in real life.”

I don’t “boast” about it. I just dont make any bones about it.

I’m exactly the same “in real life” (I despise the idea of having separate personalities online. I think it’s cowardly). Some people like it. Some people don’t. Your value for the concept of honesty over false niceties goes a long way in defining which camp you fall into. Some of my best friends are the ones willing to disagree with me the most.

“Are you telling me you’ve never made a joke at someone else’s expense? I find that very hard to believe.”

By accident, sure. And I’m obsessively apologetic about it when it happens.

“Look, people will never give these kind of subjects serious thought over a gaming forum, nor should they.”

And that’s really, really fucking sad. You can do it with music, literature and movies. Why don’t video games deserve the same?

“As for protecting her, why not? I’m always trying to ‘protect’ my game characters, I.e. I don’t want them to die!!! ever since mario, cause that means game over!”

That’s not the same thing, and you know it. I’m using the words of the developers themselves, who phrased in a horribly male-orientated fashion that played on the fact that she’s a woman and the player is male.

You can say its human instinct, blah blah blah, but from my own experience as a father and a married man, nothing could be further from the truth. A female character should be able to stand on their own two feet without some sort of overbearing white knight mentality surrounding her.

44. monkeygourmet

I’m pleased you feel you portray the same sensibilities offline, as well as on. Likewise, I’m happy to adopt one persona.

It’s slightly worrying though, that you seem to have a superiority complex, especially as you seem to feel quite at home in handing out advice.

If you don’t feel that, then why are you constantly having to defend your ego to other posters?

Let me guess, they are all wrong and you are right?

This only leads me to 2 conclusions,

1. Being you like the smell of your own farts and,

2. Everyone else on here is a tool, yet you still bother to hang around in an effort to ‘best’ people you have no regard for anyway.

Gaming can derive serious discussion, although I hardly think this is the place. If you were really bothered, you can start your own forum threads in the hope of attracting a more ‘relevant’ clientele…

How do you think gamers are going to respond to articles like this when every year, games like CoD try to out do each other, with more and more intense scenarios?

Of course you are going to get frivolous comments. The problem is, when you do have your issue, you generally appear in a thread with a 2 sentence generic bash down of a response.

If you don’t want to participate, don’t winge about later when other people don’t want to chime in.

You can’t have it both ways! :)

Also, Lara can still be a strong character. It’s impossible to have a female character with male intervention in its creation, to be completely relevant to how a female would see things. But, as a revenge, action story, you can kind of get away with it. Wolf Creek almost certainly was an inspiration for this game by the looks of it.

It’s always going to end up with mild expliotation. I suppose you think Bayonetta is the perfect example of a strong female character?! ;)

45. Da Man

O’Connor, nobody from literature, music or cinema industry would take you half seriously.

That’s what’s ‘fucking sad’.

Anything you ‘contribute’ can be freely read elsewhere on some blog or yet another board.

Have a good time with 17 year olds and wasted people killing time on the internet calling you intelligent. Don’t forget to post a link to your independent website more often, toy wannabe critic.

46. Ireland Michael

@45 “Everyone else on here is a tool, yet you still bother to hang around in an effort to ‘best’ people you have no regard for anyway.”

There are maybe a handful of people on this site I have a genuine dislike for. They know who they are. The rest I get on with just fine.

47. daytripper

God help any developer who would do a scene similar to the Jodie Foster movie The Accused

48. monkeygourmet

To change tact, What games do you feel have handled a ‘traumatic’ event well?!

Surely that is a better way to tackle the subject?

I.e. so and so, did this well, crystal dynamics didn’t, etc…

The problem with that being, no game has handled these kind of issues very well. And, that, (IMO), comes down to graphics / realism when handling these kind of issues.

I mean, a cell shaded violent scene, really doesn’t carry the same ‘oomph’ as a realistic looking game whie trying to get over this point.

Hence why anime gets away with much more than realistic cinema.

Now, with games attracting big name actors and new consoles potentially being able to handle more realistic scenarios, surely, these type of games will be able to handle these sensitive scenarios with more effectiveness, or not….

Surely that is a better argument to follow?

49. OrbitMonkey

Aerith’s death in ff7 was handled with tact, I doubt anyone who’s loved one was stabbed through the chest with a 10 foot sword by a genetically modified soldier would have been offended…

50. stretch215

You are WAY too sensitive O’Connor. You sound like a feminist. What you call a misogynistic approach I actually found empowering. The reality of life (real life, not internet debates about puppies, kittens and “sensitivity” ) is that a woman trapped on an island with a bunch of men would be in very real danger. She could very well be raped, and surviving that attack would be very empowering. I feel like that’s what the devs are going for.

51. stretch215

Imagine lord of the flies with grown men. Then add ONE woman. What do you think would happen?

52. G1GAHURTZ

ZING!

monkeygourmet is breaking down O’Connor’s self righteous arrogance beautifully…

Good stuff.

53. shogoz

and while two men are DP’ing the girl all the other grown men will be lubricating eachothers asses up to fuck eachother. pretty much how this forum functions when someone makes a comment and someone else acts all “liek omg but i totally don’t agree with what you said” while trying to make themselves look smarter in the process. ahhh the world of nerds.

54. OrbitMonkey

@50, lol!! What a completely fucking moronic logic :-P

Hello young girl, insecure? NmWant to feel empowered? Well Dr Fister has the rape cure for you!!

Oh hi little boy? Scared of dogs? Let me just throw you in this cage full of pit bulls, if you live I guarantee you’ll feel no more fear!!

Ha ha ha what a wonderful window into idiocy the internet provides :-)

55. stretch215

@54 what are you talking about? So escaping a dangerous situation intact isn’t empowering? You are the fucking idiot. :D. Dick.

56. Ireland Michael

@48 None honestly spring to mind. That’s a poor testament to the quality of video game storytelling as much as anything else. And the devs have made it pretty clear that they’re trying to stay awake from any sort of tactful message one way or the other.

@50 I *am* a raging feminist. Heh.

57. monkeygourmet

No, that’s a good argument for a media form in its infancy…

Remember, gaming narratives haven’t got into their stride yet. Otherwise we’d be talking about the implications of the potential rape of princess peach by Donkey Kong (that’s bestiality too you know!).

Just because the dev budgets have increased doesn’t mean that they are aiming for the 30 plus gamer… We are in the minority when it comes to game development (I assume your 30 plus, if not the your generation has helped accelerate this bollocks anyway, and I have no sympathy for you).

We are at a cross roads my friend:

Games that support adult ideas and motifs, and games that pretend they do just like the SAW movies…

Now, that’s not a great scenario, but seeing as you write for a gaming blog, surely you should be shouting this from the roof tops more than me…?!

If not, live with it and all the rape, death, kill that comes with it.

I for one, know exactly where gaming is heading and have made the necessary changes in my psyche to still enjoy it! ;)

58. monkeygourmet

Yes, you are a dick regarding this…

We all know Lara Croft is Badass, how did she get to this point?

By beating up rapists… Case closed… :)

59. Ireland Michael

@57 You seem to be under the delusion that I don’t want this sort of thing in games whatsoever. I fully agree tha gamss needs to mature and grow up. Desperately so.

DSB and I had a rather nice discussion about this very subject recently, actually: http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/21/double-fine-thinks-games-are-art-but-its-okay-if-you-dont/

60. monkeygourmet

No delusion, based on our previous interactions ;)

But I didnt realise you’d already talked about this subject..!

Will Have a Look, although I feel I’m spent here! :)

61. OrbitMonkey

Lawl, Rape makes you stronger!! Stretch, Monkey stfu ;-)

Though if you’ve got any evidence other than your fetid fantasy’s please do share?

62. monkeygourmet

It doesn’t make you stronger, we don’t know know how this game will end…!

The presumption is it will get you revenge, that isn’t a nice turn of events but clearly something the developer intended from the outset…

It’s a revenge piece…

With the set up to establishing Lara as a bit of a reserved badass… I.e. someone who killed a load of potential rapists…

How would have you started the reboot, oh master?

63. OrbitMonkey

^ Well let’s see… I doubt I’d have ripped off the Green Arrows origin story… And I fail to see how wanting revenge on a load of psycho mercs on a island, sets Lara up to be a collector of artefacts… Masked vigilante maybe, but then we’re back to ripping off the Green Arrow :-)

64. stretch215

@ idiot monkey. You’re ridiculous in your attempts at satire. You come across as a child whose parents need to restrict his internet access. Evidence?? You can’t even understand the basic concept. Giving you your “evidence” (lol) would totally overwork your feeble, juvenile mind.

65. stretch215

Only an idiot would ask for “evidence” in a conversation like this. Get a fucking life, kid.

66. Beta

Seriously, did the car park rape scene in Thelma and Louise get this kind of reaction? I mean, it’s “Not Real” is it?

If people could get this riled up over some actual issues instead of debating the moral “dilemma” of fictional rape in a fictional setting by fictional characters comprised of coding and polygons, then the World might not be such a crap-basket.

*I thought dilemma fit better :)

67. IL DUCE

Can someone tell me again why the hell this is even an issue

68. Beta

@67 Absolutely no idea, really it’s laughable in comparison to the violence and sexual violence scenes in some horror films.

Yet suddenly there’s some kind of holy internet crusade against Beelzebub and Co. at Crystal Dynamics.

69. OrbitMonkey

@Stretch, Evidence to support your your thesis that trauma makes one stronger, more specifically that sexual trauma is beneficial to said victim.

Oh a reply of insults? How mature .

70. Ireland Michael

@69 Honestly thought stretch was better than that. Was surprised to see a string of insults.

Trauma is a multi-faceted thing, and there is most certainly no one single response. Everyone reacts different to their experiences, and “attempted rape makes you stronger” is a pretty frivolous assumption.

People also rarely change overnight, even after severe trauma, which makes Lara’s sudden dramatic growth a little hard to swallow.

71. OrbitMonkey

@Topic in hand. The issue is that videogames are for kids and no place for scary adult themes such as rape (suggested or otherwise).

Plus the videogames market is still considered to be mainly dominated by adolescent males , so such scenes would only be seen as titilation.

P.S. Claiming a attempted rape of the main character , especially in a interactive game is *no big deal* is not a sign of maturity.

72. roadkill

Well said stretch! o7

Orbit you’re such a douche-bag.

Some good points there monkeygourmet.

73. Beta

SPOILERS IN PARAGRAPH 2 @71 But this game is blatantly not for kids so that nullifies your argument straight away Orbit. It’s not the devs fault if stupid parents buy whatever their kids want.

So what is the issue, Madison in Heavy Rain was tied to a table by a perverted doctor who intended to mutilate her with power tools and rape her corpse, the game had a child murderer as a main character.

Lara had her leg touched… Where’s the heavy rain backlash when that is so much more graphic than this crap?