Console Fanboyism gets an infographic

Saturday, 30th June 2012 19:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Console Wars: a lovely pissing contest that even the most neutral of us have been dragged into on occasion, now has an infographic.

Thanks to Visual.ly, we can now look at the cold hard (sort of) facts when it comes to PS3 vs Xbox 360.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, here is a handy dandy VG247 disclaimer: not only are we 1,000 + infinity percent neutral when it comes to any console, format or preference, the information in the graphic is by no means 100% accurate.

Some information was pulled from official Sony and Microsoft figures, while some other bits were pulled from VG Chartz; therefore, we cannot guarantee the vailidity of anything posted in the infographic – we just thought it was a bit fun for a boring Saturday.

Enjoy, and don’t start whipping it out in the comments section. Keep it PG.

Thanks, D’toid.

Header image courtesy of Erthazus.

1. Erthazus

Brace yourself!

2. DreamCleaver

@1 LOL

3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Damn. That would have made a great header image. :D Can I steal it from you?

4. Erthazus

@3, Absolutely. Please make a header image.

5. unacomn

Wait a minute, where’s the Wii in all this? I call shenanigan!

6. Froseidon

Damn I love this article. That infographic is awesome.

Also @5 – When was the Wii in the console wars? Even Nintendo themselves have stated that they don’t want to be in it as they are a separate breed of console entirely.

7. Ireland Michael

@60 Even though it’s sold more than any of the competition and has some of the highest quality games of this generation.

No surprise to see figures being so even shared between the two though. Pretty much proves the whole console bias thing redundant.

8. Froseidon

@7 – 60?! Also, both the Xbox and Playstation have basic controllers. The Wii requires a “Remote and Nunchuck”, showing it is a different type of console.

Also, did you actually read my post? I did say that even Nintendo stated they do not wish to be part of it >.> I remember there being VG article on it.

9. freedoms_stain

Interesting, I have repeatedly heard xbox fanboys use “higher attach rate” as proof that xbox is “winning”, yet the PS3 has sold more units of software for less units of hardware sold.

10. Ireland Michael

@8 Obviously a typo.

I did. I disagree. Whether they wanted to “be a part of it” or not, the were still part of this generation of hardware.

11. TheOutcastWolf

…is it wrong to love all the three consoles for different reasons?

12. Froseidon

@10 – I know it was a typo… I was joking :L

Also yes, the Wii is part of this generation, however, it is left out of the fanboyism that is the console wars.

@11 – No ^^ I like all as well, despite having sold my Wii and never played a PS3 :L

13. stretch215

I call foul. I refuse to believe anyone voted for the ps3 controller. :D

14. liam_warr

Okay so I designed this. Its cool that its been featured. My viewcount has gone up thousands in the past couple of days.

I posted this comment on Destructoid So i may as well post it here.

“I noticed yesterday that my views on Visual.ly literally skyrocketed. At 3pm yesterday this only had 1200 views and since Destructoid has featured it yesterday its gone up but 5k+. And first off. Thank you for viewing it.

HOWEVER! I’d like to clarify some things before anybody jumps down my throat.

I have just finished a degree in Graphic Design at Southampton Solent University in England. This was designed for a unit I was taking called Visual Research, It was an open brief and the fanboy war between the 360 and PS3. Mainly I had to look at the Social, Cultural and Historical aspects.

Now that I’ve bored you with that.

Please note that I am a designer and NOT a researcher. I haven’t been paid by Microsoft to design this. It was done of my own free will for uni.

This may not come as a surprise to you but I myself am a 360 man. However everything which hasn’t been sourced was based on surveys. The survey was participated by around 80 people. It wasn’t an amazing survey.

This was a year long piece of work and whilst developing it I tried to make it seem as unbiased as possible but my researched data just didn’t help me in any way. But not once did I ever think It would gain as much exposure as it has.

When i discovered vgchartz I thought to myself ‘Ideal’ just what im looking for. My lecturers wouldn’t care about the official stats, as they’re mainly analysing the DESIGN! I never realised how unreliable vgchartz were. I did some cross referencing and it seems to mostly add up, but like i said. Im a designer, not a researcher.

I’d like to thank Destructoid again for featuring it, im glad i found where all my views we’re coming from.

If there are any questions about the research at all. Message me and i’ll answer them.”

15. G1GAHURTZ

^ Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

16. Ireland Michael

Whatever the intent or purpose Liam, you did a brilliant job. Keep it up!

17. Gekidami

“This may not come as a surprise to you but i myself am a 360 man”

Nope, thats pretty clear. In fact the only “Fanboyism” about this infograp is that it was obviously written by a fanboy.

But anyway, your sales figures for 2009 & 2010 are wrong:

Your figures for 2011 are also questionable seeing as the 360 either edged out a few more sales or they were pretty much even:

18. G1GAHURTZ

Geki, he doesn’t care.

He made it for a uni project where accuracy was completely irrelevant.

Don’t let it bug you, it’s basically just a showreel piece that Destructoid found and put up without his knowledge.

You could always just make your own one.

19. OrbitMonkey

So if this is just a uni piece, why is it in the news? I’d understand if it was put together by VG247 themselves, or if the angle of the story was about the fact this uni piece has caused such a fuss on Destructoid… But it’s not.

It’s just troll bait.

20. liam_warr

@15 Thats no worries. Ive been looking for the past two days as to why the views have gone up. This really has relit the console fanboyism war.

@16 Thanks for the compliment. Designwise, this was my strongest project this year.

@17 The only thing I can say to you ‘Geki’ Is I genuinely don’t care. Im not a fanboy. I can happily go between PS3 and Xbox at anytime. Yes, I own a 360. But still see benefits in both. If you had read my original comment you’d see that I said I tried to keep it even but the research didn’t help me in any way. And I never anticipated this much exposure. However I gotta say that bad exposure is good exposure etc etc/

@18 Destructoid didn’t ask if they could use the piece. I would have said yes anyway because I’ve been plugging my design for more views sign I published it two months ago.

@19 Well where the original is hosted I have a short description saying about the project being for uni etc. I think somebody at Destructoid found it, got excited about it and ironically, didn’t do their research properly before posting it.

21. liam_warr

Another thing.

My job as a Graphic Designer is to engage people using a product (ie this design)

And if people tell me that thats not what i’ve done then they need their head examined

22. minxamo

You uploaded the small version, I can’t read any of the text.

edit: Though reading it now, maybe that was a good thing, whoever wrote this must have been severely brain-damaged…

23. manamana

There is hope that Microsoft isn’t going for paid live experience in the future anymore, by looking at the number of registered users ….

24. Dragon246

Graphics are awesome, even though facts mentioned are shit. Dtoid does not have any good articles now a days (except some VC ones). This is just sensationalist reporting for Dtoid.
    Jim Sterling was never a good reviewer (his scores are based on whims as he generally only gives very high or very low score with no middle path).
    This only shows he is not good reporter too.

25. lexph3re

Well the guys graphical design is definitely a nice visual display. However, this should be displayed for visual design students not gamers. With his personal survey ranging for about 80 people you dont even get a 1% of any of the default systems.

Also, the pull between personal opinions and facts is really apparent. Like the idea that you get better servers paying for xbl. However, it does validate the factor that the common purchaser of these devices believe that.

All in all good job on the design, but for future research pass your format on to a researcher for proper analysis. I would give you an B+ for the design. But, a D+ for the research. It comes off more one sided and persuasive as opposed to informative and factual.

26. Psychotext

That thing screws up in the first couple of lines… the PS3 hasn’t had full BC since the first year on sale. That’s ignoring that the 360 does 1080p and the PS3 doesn’t have 6 USB ports (maybe the slims? My old phat doesn’t).

Sloppy.

27. G1GAHURTZ

It’s completely ridiculous that people are getting so worked up over someone’s personal uni project.

28. stretch215

LOL. Look at the SDF (Sony defense force) all up in arms. The guy CLEARLY says he is NOT a researcher. So stop analyzing his research. You guys can really be dense . Really.

29. daytripper

Get over it for fuck sake

Reminds me of the time of my first job, I worked at a game store and we had to throw out and ban a few previous regulars for intimidating and insulting customers for buying games or systems they didn’t like, it was ridiculous. Not saying who these idiots where cheer leading for but I was so tempted to punch them for their weird prick like behaviour.

We all have preferences, can’t people just accept not everyone will like what you like ?

30. teribithia

In this photo I see why XBOX360 beat PS3 :)

31. Stoopid_Snot

In my opinion best 360 vs PS3 video.
    does a proper comparison between the two
    here a link to the first out of 12 rounds

32. OrbitMonkey

In my opinion PS3 beats 360… because i don’t have a 360 :)

33. OlderGamer

@23 nagh, not really. Alot of those regestered accounts are the same users with mutli accounts. Sony speaking…

MS have raked in the cash by charging for Gold Subs, I expect Sony to follow suit next gen by offering and maybe even pushing PSN+ only stuff. Keep in mind they said they wouldn’t charge for PSN on PS3. No one said anything about PS4.

See the way the suits thinks, is that if MS can make it work, then for Sony not to do it, is just lost revenue for Sony.

Subscriptions are going to be a HUGE part of next gen. From online passes, to publisher subscriptions, to TV subscriptions, to ISP tie in subscriptions and more. Everyone is going to want you to create an account to and subscribe to, and pay for something.

34. mojo

is it only me or is the graphic more about boring sales figures and not realy about fanboyism?

35. liam_warr

@26 Giga…. You seem to be one of the few listening to me and making sense of what im saying.

Admittedly I wanted to get maximum views as I could but never anticipated it going as viral as it has in the past few days. And to be honest i’m proud of the discussion its raised. ITs fired up the gaming world.

Admittedly I would have liked the research to be more accurate.

And like I said, vg chartz seemed ideal and the only way to reference the situation is using this meme http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/301/262/e33.jpg
    I think that should help people understand.

36. YoungZer0

@35: “ITs fired up the gaming world.”

Yeah, that’s exactly what we need.

37. liam_warr

Also, thank you to anybody commenting on the design. Its appreciated.

38. ManuOtaku

Great desing IMHO, especially the MW3 chart, including the tallest building in the world, very innovative design, kudos all the desings are great, keep the good work man.