Borderlands 2: get questions answered by Randy Pitchford

Friday, 29th June 2012 13:19 GMT By Sam Clay

2K’s giving VG247 readers the opportunity to put forth questions to Gearbox Software boss, Randy Pitchford, on Borderlands 2 and whatever else you can think up.

Want to ask him what he does on a day-to-day basis (breakfast, sleeping habits)? Find out if he’s working on a Borderlands MMO? What’s going on with Brothers in Arms? Is he all about the Aliens?

Ask: you may be answered.

Sam Clay will be sitting down with the gent in the next few weeks to shoot it all video style. You might even see your name in lights.

Comment below with your questions, and we’ll get the best ones over to our sorting office. Alternatively, send a stamped, addressed envelope to Randy himself. He loves fan mail.

1. Nakorson

What about the german/USK version of the game. Will the game be uncut? I’d hate it if i had to buy the uk version again, especially since the ultimate loot box version is sold out there already.

2. jdfoster00

Please ask them if they’re going to put more focus on story and make the story more rewarding than the first game. Borderlands ending infuriated me so much and made me feel that all the time I put into the game was a complete waste of time. Borderlands 2 PLEASE have a better story and ending….

3. absolutezero

Please ask them why they removed the sniper archetype and replaced it with a generic ninja instead.

The Soldier, Siren and Berserker are more or less the same as before (Gunserker etc) but my sniper has been gimped into some sort of melee, stealth thing.

I played a Gunslinger because I felt it matched the character really well and it was alot of fun. Only this time its not going to match Zero at all.

Also Mech Romancer sounds like more fun than any of the current 4 characters, what I don’t want to do is scrap whatever I have choosen at launch to build something up from scratch. What was holding back the Mech Romancer from being in the game from the get go?

4. Giskard

I would like to know what they have planned for max level characters, in term of an endgame. Will it be akin to Diablo (2) in terms of ladders, or will there be just some extra hard monsters to kill for good loot? Or neither of those, and something special, secret and awesome?

Also, while this is not a question per se, please do thank Pitchford for being one of the few entertaining and outgoing people in the business.

5. DSB

Did he ever get that Chilean Miner for doing Duke Nukem?

(His wife said she’d go down the shaft and stay until xmas if he managed to salvage it from 3D Realms, and that’s what I’ll always remember Randy Pitchford for)

I don’t know how offtopic you’re willing to go, but Brothers in Arms: Furious Four, what happened to it, and how/why did it seem like the game to make?

Other than that, I’m just wondering about the obvious. Will B2 be more fleshed out to point where it may be interesting as a singleplayer game, and what have they done to make the start of the game less of a chore?

6. Gheritt White

1. Why only 96.5% more wub wub in Borderlands 2? What was stopping the team from getting to 100% more wub wub?

2. Has Claptrap ever entered any dancing competitions?

3. Please can we have more *awesome* Borderlands 2 videos?

7. karma

For Colonial Marines.

1. I heard the game was a corridor shooter like Doom. Is that all there is to the game or will it be more dynamic and choice driven like Borderlands?

2. What other modes besides TDM will the game ship with, are there any coop modes like CoD zombies or a horde mode?

3. I heard there would be procedural A.I in campaign, is that similar to L4D’s A.I. director?

4. Are there any playable females in the game and if not, why not?

5. Are there A.I. controlled xenos in MP for offline play?

6. I thought the colony on the planet was destroyed at the end of the second film. How is it we can go back there?

7. What did Randy think of Prometheus?

8. Unlike AvP 2010 will the game be supported after release with patches and DLC?

8. hosseincode

will the game be optimized for those who want to play solo?

9. OrbitMonkey

After salvaging Duke Nukem, is their another near forgotten franchise he would like to reboot if he had the time/money?

10. BDLOVER

1-Is there any Special Content For players Who Finish Borderland 1 and DLCs in Borderland 2 ?

2- Are Gearbox Software planing to put minigame for collect more money and xp in Borderland 2 ?

11. freedoms_stain

@3, they pretty much already answered that, they are not making any types of guns more favourable to any 1 class this time around, pick the action skill you like and use whatever guns you want.

Also the Siren is nothing like she was before at the very least. Her action skill is completely different. The phase walk allowed you to turn invisible and unleash elemental bursts going in and out of the walk, the new phase lock causes enemies to be locked in place.

12. Edo

How are they handling enemy respawning in Borderlands 2 cause in the first one that part wasn’t exactly perfect?

13. ManuOtaku

1.- Which are the tech specs of the WiiU?
    2.- The cars in the game can be upgradable like the character or it is like in the first borderlands?
    3.-They will introduce planes/helicopters this time, for some flying missions? and or in order to fight flying bosses, etc

14. Panda

Are there any DLCs planned yet or will there be a GOTY version of the game later?

Will there be an ingame “claptrap-robot-dance-wub-wub-contest”?

What is so handsome about Jack?

15. Mystic Sage

Please ask:
    1. Will the multiplayer be more stable this time around because one the more inherit problems in Borderlands was voice chat issues, lag, bug where you would get all missions from players you are playing with even if you were not at that point when trying to play multiplayer.

2. Will the Pvp battle arenas be more balanced this time around as far as the characters and there skills or will it be more for messing around like the last one?

3. Are you going to try and keep people from porting and tampering with save files to make OP’d weapons and shields like players did in the first one to keep things more fun and balanced?

16. hives

Aliens: Colonial Marines… Is it scary? :P Because from all that we’ve seen so far, it’s rather action heavy. Are there levels with less fighting and more… well… just expecting something to eat your face? I miss that feeling since original AvP game.

17. ejams

Here’s one a lot of us still want to know: Are there any plans for a Vita release, especially with the demand for more hardcore games on the system?

In my opinion, this could help sell the system to a lot of people in the west, since it’s an FPS RPG that you can play over and over.

I know he addressed the fans before by saying that they should rally to Sony and all that, but I haven’t heard of any results and it went quiet after awhile.

EDIT: I was thinking about it some more and if there was a vita version, there could also be cross platform play between the ps3 and vita versions which would be amazing!

18. Gekidami

If “Aliens: Colonial Marines” is based off “Aliens”, why do the characters look like cartoons? I’m pretty sure everyone in the Alien movies looked like real people up in till Ron Perlman.

19. Krono

What @15 said- How has PVP been improved?

-Will the new classes be different enough so I don’t feel like a complete re-run of BL1?

-Dance off minigame vs. Claptrap?????

-Are there any new implements or features to increase the fun once you beat it and/or max out your level? I know we have loot (which I love), but are there any new implements?

20. ejams

@15 – I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to make your own weapons in an imported file, it allowed you to customize and make something amazing even in a game where random gens are what you rely on. I understand they were total ass for people trying to have a fair match online, maybe they could make some sort of alteration to allow making your own guns and either A) auto balance them or B) dont allow people to play online with them? Idk I really like the idea. Maybe a DLC or something?

21. freedoms_stain

@20, building your own weapons is a feature of B2.

22. Edo

@21 That is f*cking awesome(if true)!!

23. silkvg247

I loved BL1. But my only gripe was the fact that the game had accuracy ratings on guns; to me accuracy shouldn’t be a stat on the gun in an FPS. It should be completely about player aiming, their own skill determining a hit or miss.

It was especially annoying for sniper rifles.

I know BL doesn’t try to be realistic so it just didn’t fit.

I’d like to know if accuracy is still going to be in BL2 or if you have removed it, or will consider removing it now that I’ve mentioned it has no place in the game.. ;)

24. The PhilRob

Randy Pitchford said at E3 that the Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest Edition was sold out for the launch date of Borderlands 2. This leads me to think that maybe the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition will be available again sometime after the launch date. Am I cooking my noodle too long or is this thought correct?

Did Handsome Jack destroyed all the clap-traps to get the “What a party” achievement?

25. ejams

@21 – Do you have evidence of this?? If it’s true, man oh man this game is gonna have everything.

@23 – Accuracy should always be a part of guns in shooting games, especially one with variety like this. Not only does it add a significant layer of depth to the firearms, but having no accuracy stat would lead me to believe that every gun had either perfect accuracy or it was completely random. I see what you’re saying though, maybe a compromise would be to have the accuracy as a grade or something so that there would only be like 5 levels (poor all the way up to perfect or something?).

26. BORDERLANDER123

this isn’t a question but a couple good suggestions…

I think there should be a house or a secret base that you can buy from Marcus that could include a home made clap trap that Tannis made for you that would be your butler or maid that would talk to you and clean up. it could also have a chest that you could stash your stuff in much like the vault in the Mad Moxxi DLC from the first game.

Another idea that would make the game more RPG like would to have a better talking between your character and the NPCs in the game world like Fall Out or Skyrim.

and if the game is almost complete and they dont want to push the release date they should make the house a DLC but should already have improved the rest… and also I CANT WAIT TILL THE GAME COMES OUT I WILL LOVE IT MORE THAT SKYRIM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

27. zchay

Please ask if there will ever be a character class that is a midget that betrayed the bandits. That would be soo funny, I would love to pay 5 more bucks or something like that to play as a midget with its own classes, even his own midget car!