Space Marine and Dawn of War II: Retribution are 75% off this weekend on Steam

Thursday, 28th June 2012 19:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and Dawn of War II: Retribution are 75% off on Steam this weekend. You can even get DLC for Space Marine such as the Power Sword, Golden Relic Bolter, and the Golden Relic Chainsword on the cheap as well. Retribution DLC such as the Chaos Space Marines Race Pack, the Eldar Race Pack, and the Imperial Guard Race Pack are 75% off too. Hit up the link.

1. roadkill

Oh! Yummy! :)

2. Crab of Thunder

Got retribution in this, nice sale.

Its worth noting that the original Dawn of war series is also on sale which isn’t mentioned above, can get DoW, winter assault and dark crusade for £2.49.

3. Christopher Jack

Only like the last stand from DoW2, the campaign is alright, truly dislike the standard MP- they really butchered it from what it was & I’ve probably pot over 1000 hours into the original DoW MP & less than 20 into the new one. Gifted the standalone version of the last stand to a friend of mine only a few days ago & now it’s a quarter of the price -_-

4. Crab of Thunder

@3 Yeah I appreciate that from an RTS fans point of view the absence of base building and other choices may lead you to say thatthey butchered it.

But as a fan of the novels and universe in general I think that base building doesnt have a place in the 40k universe and they shifted focus to valuing squads more by upgrading them and keeping them alive, which adds to it imo. I think relic did a good job and there can be some great MP games.

5. DSB

It’s really not a very good tactical game either, at least for the first two entries. I mean, World in Conflict and Ground Control didn’t have base building either, but they were still hugely rewarding games.

DoW II through Chaos Rising basically just has you fighting through levels of trash so you can kill a boss, which is usually just like the last one you killed. It’s just not very clever.

Neither is putting Games for Windows Live in a PC exclusive. I can see that being “the move” from the point of view of a developer with a console focus, fearing pirates like the death, but Relic really should’ve been smarter than that.

I think Retribution is what those games should’ve been all along. It worked much better with the sort of Company of Heroes approach using a comprehensive story, but sadly Retribution was too short and too late.

6. Crab of Thunder

Ah yeah Ok the campaign isn’t the strongest point but it can be good fun to play, especially co-op. And like you said it has improved in Retribution with the multi race campaign and it also ditches GFWL.

Though I feel the MP is a bit of an overlooked gem, it can really be a fun, competitive experience if played with the similarly ranked players. There are good 2v2 or 3v3 maps and such.

7. DSB

@6 Yeah, it just struck me as kind of weird, because I came in based on the original DoW, which was just a really great RTS singleplayer-wise.

I never really enjoyed RTS’s online, so it was just a complete mismatch coming into DoW II.

It looks like they’ve learnt a lesson going into DoW III, so I hope they get that far.

8. Crab of Thunder

Yeah I have high hopes for DoW 3, unfortunately the dire situation at THQ seems to be holding it back a bit, unwilling to fully commit to a game thats not a blockbuster atm.

9. viralshag

@8, Have faith, bro, the Emperor protects ;)

10. Crab of Thunder

Pffft, I answer to Khorne, scumbag :P

11. viralshag

You make me sick.

Get out!

/Points to door

12. absolutezero

You know you want to.

13. Crab of Thunder

^ XD Thats fucking epic, the gods of the warp approve!

14. YoungZer0